Skype - Cannot update

  • Dennis Newson
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 30, 2007
      I want to update Skype, but my system tells me (in translation) "Skype
      setup.exe is not an acknowledged Win 32 application." How can I override
      this? I've made sure the programme is not being blocked by a firewall.

      Dennis aka Denos
      --
      Dennis Newson (retired)
      University of Osnabrück

    • Evelyn Izquierdo
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 30, 2007
        My dearest WIA friends:

        Today, when the year comes to the end, is the perfect time to say 'thank you'. Thank you for being there all year long, like good friends, like a warm family. My best wishes to you and your beloved ones for the new year. I wish you love, peace, prosperity, excellent health, lots of joy and success in 2008.
        Hugs, bow, hand shakings or kisses to you.
        Cheers,
        Evelyn from Choroni, Aragua State, Venezuela

      • Gavin Dudeney
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 31, 2007
          Dennis,

          Reading you other thread on the SLED list about errors in SL voice, and now
          reading this one about your problems with Skype would seem to me to suggest
          that something is wrong with the computer itself - something like a virus or
          similar. It strikes me that you're just having too many problems at the same
          time. Have you tried running a virus scan, spyware and adware scan, scan for
          Trojans and rootkits, etc.?

          A side note on virus software. For a few years now I have been using the
          free AVG software and been pleased with it. However, I've recently read a
          handful of reports from reliable sources which suggest that it's really not
          that good and that a more robust solution is needed. I switched to
          BitDefender (got a very good price just before Christmas) and I must say I'm
          very impressed with it. On the first full scan it picked up two things that
          AVG had been unaware of, and it runs on my system very 'silently' and
          without any noticeable slowing down of operations.

          Anyway, my recommendation would be to get a proper system scan done first
          before going down any other diagnostic route.

          Gavin

          From: Dennis Newson
          Subject: [evonline2002_webheads] Skype - Cannot update

          I want to update Skype, but my system tells me (in translation) "Skype
          setup.exe is not an acknowledged Win 32 application." How can I override
          this? I've made sure the programme is not being blocked by a firewall.

        • Joao Alves
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 31, 2007
            Another very good anti virus software is, according to my own experience,
            Kaspersky Internet Security. It really is of utmost iportance to use a good
            virus software. I have using Kaspersky since the beginning of this year and
            I am very happy with it. It seems to detect everything and it doesn't slow
            down the computer.

            Happy New Year to all.

            Joao

            On 31/12/2007, Gavin Dudeney <gavin.dudeney@...> wrote:

            > Dennis,
            >
            > Reading you other thread on the SLED list about errors in SL voice, and
            > now
            > reading this one about your problems with Skype would seem to me to
            > suggest
            > that something is wrong with the computer itself - something like a virus
            > or
            > similar. It strikes me that you're just having too many problems at the
            > same
            > time. Have you tried running a virus scan, spyware and adware scan, scan
            > for
            > Trojans and rootkits, etc.?
            >
            > A side note on virus software. For a few years now I have been using the
            > free AVG software and been pleased with it. However, I've recently read a
            > handful of reports from reliable sources which suggest that it's really
            > not
            > that good and that a more robust solution is needed. I switched to
            > BitDefender (got a very good price just before Christmas) and I must say
            > I'm
            > very impressed with it. On the first full scan it picked up two things
            > that
            > AVG had been unaware of, and it runs on my system very 'silently' and
            > without any noticeable slowing down of operations.
            >
            > Anyway, my recommendation would be to get a proper system scan done first
            > before going down any other diagnostic route.
            >
            > Gavin
            >
            > From: Dennis Newson
            > Subject: [evonline2002_webheads] Skype - Cannot update
            >
            > I want to update Skype, but my system tells me (in translation) "Skype
            > setup.exe is not an acknowledged Win 32 application." How can I override
            > this? I've made sure the programme is not being blocked by a firewall.

            Joao Alves

          • Nelba
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 31, 2007
              That was great , Evelyn . " Thank you" is the phrase. Best wishes to all .
              Virtual Cheers wherever you are.
              Happy New Year!
              Nelba from Argentina

                From: Dennis Newson

                I want to update Skype, but my system tells me (in translation) "Skype
                setup.exe is not an acknowledged Win 32 application." How can I override
                this? I've made sure the programme is not being blocked by a firewall.

              • Susana Canelo
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 31, 2007
                  Sharing your warm words, Evelyn !!!
                  Happy New Year 2008 for the whole WIA family !!!

                  Kisses and champagne from Del Valle in Argentina
                  Susana Canelo

                  Evelyn Izquierdo <izquierdo_evelyn@...> escribió:
                  My dearest WIA friends:

                  Today, when the year comes to the end, is the perfect time to say 'thank you'. Thank you for being there all year long, like good friends, like a warm family. My best wishes to you and your beloved ones for the new year. I wish you love, peace, prosperity, excellent health, lots of joy and success in 2008.
                  Hugs, bow, hand shakings or kisses to you.
                  Cheers,
                  Evelyn from Choroni, Aragua State, Venezuela

                • CK Jung
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 31, 2007
                    Hi Dennis

                    It happened to me as well. I just wondered whether you've removed your
                    previous Skype completely. If no, please have a look at the following
                    link. I made a short tutorial for you.

                    http://voicethread.com/#q.b38472.i201860

                    If you've already done that, then never mind.

                    All the best
                    CK

                    On Dec 31, 2007 10:58 AM, Nelba <nelbaq@...> wrote:

                    > Good point, Gavin. Thanks for the info. I will check with my technitian.
                    > Nelba
                    >
                    > Gavin Dudeney <gavin.dudeney@...> escribió:
                    >
                    > Dennis,
                    >
                    > Reading you other thread on the SLED list about errors in SL voice, and now
                    > reading this one about your problems with Skype would seem to me to suggest
                    > that something is wrong with the computer itself - something like a virus
                    > or
                    > similar. It strikes me that you're just having too many problems at the
                    > same
                    > time. Have you tried running a virus scan, spyware and adware scan, scan
                    > for
                    > Trojans and rootkits, etc.?
                    >
                    > A side note on virus software. For a few years now I have been using the
                    > free AVG software and been pleased with it. However, I've recently read a
                    > handful of reports from reliable sources which suggest that it's really not
                    > that good and that a more robust solution is needed. I switched to
                    > BitDefender (got a very good price just before Christmas) and I must say
                    > I'm
                    > very impressed with it. On the first full scan it picked up two things that
                    > AVG had been unaware of, and it runs on my system very 'silently' and
                    > without any noticeable slowing down of operations.
                    >
                    > Anyway, my recommendation would be to get a proper system scan done first
                    > before going down any other diagnostic route.
                    >
                    > Gavin
                    >
                    > From: Dennis Newson
                    > Subject: [evonline2002_webheads] Skype - Cannot update
                    >
                    > I want to update Skype, but my system tells me (in translation) "Skype
                    > setup.exe is not an acknowledged Win 32 application." How can I override
                    > this? I've made sure the programme is not being blocked by a firewall.

                  • Michael Marzio
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 31, 2007
                      Hi Dennis,

                      I had the same problem a while ago. I simply uninstalled and
                      reinstalled and that fixed the problem.

                      Good luck and happy new year.

                      mike M

                      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Newson"
                      <djn@...> wrote:

                      > I want to update Skype, but my system tells me (in
                      translation) "Skype
                      > setup.exe is not an acknowledged Win 32 application." How can I
                      override
                      > this? I've made sure the programme is not being blocked by a
                      firewall.

                      > Dennis aka Denos
                      > --
                      > Dennis Newson (retired)
                      > University of Osnabrück
                      > GERMANY
                      > Webhead,
                      > Discussion Moderator IATEFL YL SIG
                      > Moderator of a number of other TEFL e-lists

                    • ronald_g2001
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 31, 2007
                        Hi Dennis,
                        I had the same problem too. If reinstalling doesn't work, as in my
                        case, try downloading the Skype 3.6 file again and then install it.
                        That worked for me.

                        Ron Gest
                      • Michael Marzio
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
                          Gavin et al,

                          I have to defend the free Avast Anti-Virus software. It's truly robust -
                          in fact the same engine that runs Avast also runs the G-Data anti
                          virus suite, which is relatively expensive.
                          As we already know, it's a very bad idea to try to attempt to install
                          two anti-virus programs on a single computer. However, in order to get
                          a Second Opinion without uninstalling one's primary anti-virus program,
                          there are online security sites which scan your hard disk without
                          installing anything. So far, after using Avast for 4 years, these
                          online virus scanners have not found anything that Avast has not found.

                          The other free security software I use:
                          SpyWare Doctor and Norton Security Scan which are part of Google
                          Updater. This Norton Security Scan is the "no installation on hard
                          disk" type.
                          For third opinions in regard to spyware, I also use AdAware 2007 and
                          Spybot Search and Destroy - also free and efficient.

                          Mike

                          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Gavin Dudeney"
                          <gavin.dudeney@...> wrote:
                          (snip)
                          > A side note on virus software. For a few years now I have been using
                          the
                          > free AVG software and been pleased with it. However, I've recently
                          read a
                          > handful of reports from reliable sources which suggest that it's
                          really not
                          > that good and that a more robust solution is needed. I switched to
                          > BitDefender (got a very good price just before Christmas) and I must
                          say I'm
                          > very impressed with it.
                        • Gavin Dudeney
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
                            Mike,

                            Avast may well be good, I was referring to AVG, which is a different product
                            and has had some pretty bad reviews recently. The only two anti-virus suites
                            to get top marks in most internationally certified tests are BitDefender and
                            Kaspersky. I usually combine anti-virus with other options such as AdAware,
                            SpyBot and others. What seems clear to me is that relying on things like the
                            Windows Vista firewall and spyware software is useless.

                            I eventually opted for BitDefender due to reviews, awards, the small hit it
                            has on my system and the fact that it updates every hour. The Internet
                            edition features excellent anti-spyware and rootkit modules as well as a
                            superior firewall.

                            Mixing two anti-virus suites, as you say, is definitely not a good idea!

                            Gavin

                            c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain

                            Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770

                            <http://www.theconsultants-e.com/> http://www.theconsultants-e.com

                            Winners of a 2007 British Council ELTON award - <http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54>
                            http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54

                            Owners of the Second Life EduNation sims - <http://tinyurl.com/34l8mw>
                            http://tinyurl.com/34l8mw

                            Sponsors of the UK Moodle Conference - <http://www.moodlemoot.org/>
                            http://www.moodlemoot.org

                            CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE

[...]

                            <mailto:evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com> , "Gavin Dudeney"
                            <gavin.dudeney@...> wrote:
                            (snip)
                            > A side note on virus software. For a few years now I have been using
                            the
                            > free AVG software and been pleased with it. However, I've recently
                            read a
                            > handful of reports from reliable sources which suggest that it's
                            really not
                            > that good and that a more robust solution is needed. I switched to
                            > BitDefender (got a very good price just before Christmas) and I must
                            say I'm
                            > very impressed with it.

                          • dnewson2001
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
                              Gavin,

                              Just read your remarks about my probable need to do a virus scan. I
                              use Kaspersky, not cheap, and a bit heavy-handed at times, but (And
                              thanks), I'll do what you suggest and see how I get on.

                              Dennis