Online material lict - coming soon

  • s.nyrop@get2net.dk
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 17, 2002
      Concerning the online material, I plan to set up a list of
      relevant online CoPs-related material, as a supplement to
      what Chris has done for us.

      In a hurry,

      yours Sus

      Chris et al,

      Off the top of my head, this sounds like a fine idea to me.
      As you say,
      it works in well with the colloquium we are mounting and
      would bring you
      into that process, the the great benefit of all concerned. We
      welcome
      research on our community and our community has always
      welcomed
      researchers, esp. if it is action research that feeds back into
      the
      community.

      I had a look at your bibliography dedicated to Webheads and
      very much
      appreciate that you have highlighted a number of items for
      us. Me
      personally out here in Abu Dhabi, I was a little disappointed
      to see
      that none of these appear to be available online. Library
      resources
      here are fairly minimal. Perhaps we can find a solution.
      Meanwhile
      I've started an online bibliography of my own on the COP
      page (Sus, your
      work is online isn't it?). This is not to suggest that you
      should have
      included online resources, only that this is the reality for me
      where I
      am at present. My reaction to adversity is in any event to
      start
      working on a solution.

      A far as I am concerned, please proceed with your research
      plans. Great
      that you find us worthy of study.

      Vance

      Subject: CoP proposal
      Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 12:27:07 +0200
      From: Christopher Johnson
      <christopher.johnson@...>
      To: Vance Stevens <vstevens@...>, "Dr.
      John. H.
      Steele" <j_steele@...>,
      Susanne Nyrop <s.nyrop@...>, Teresa
      Almeida d'Eca
      <tmvaz@...>, Dafne <dygonza@...>

      Hi Sus, Daf, Tere, John, and Vance,

      I am writing to you all off-forum because I wanted to let you
      in on
      something I have been thinking about and something I would
      like to
      propose for Webheads.

      As you all know, I have been doing dissertation research on
      CoPs,
      actually for the last two years. My original idea was to found
      a CoP for

      English for Professional Purposes professionals. Finding
      interested
      stakeholders has been slow and less than rewarding. Also,
      the stages of
      CoP formation are impossible to predict because they vary
      so much. These

      past months have caused me to focus on Webheads, and
      one main reason is
      your interest in communities of practice.

      My biggest concerns here are Sus and Vance because I don't
      want to
      inadvertently step on anyone's toes. Sus does research on
      communities of

      practice (CoPs), and I would like to make sure that anything
      I do in
      this area does not interfere with her research, rather work in
      a way
      that it would complement her research. I finally read one of
      her
      articles last night ("Cooperative Cultures in Sociotechnical
      Communities"), and I am adding it to the Webheads reading
      list in my
      bibliography (finally). It seems to me my dissertation is
      branching off
      in a different direction than her research, but again, I hope
      we can
      talk about any overlap. In Vance's case, I think we would
      agree he is
      the driving force behind this community -- not only the cat
      herder -- I
      would also say the main gardener. CoPs are organic,
      dynamic, and grow. I

      could imagine Vance thinking that a study in this respect is
      like taking

      something alive -- then killing it, pickling it, and tearing it
      apart
      bit by bit. I would do my upmost not to present it this way,
      rather as
      informative.

      Because Webheads is in a more advance stage of CoP
      development than my
      original idea, I thought a case study on Webheads comparing
      their
      activities with CoP theory would be useful for me as doctoral
      student
      (trying to become "doctor"), and I would be more than
      happy to share my
      findings with Webheads as recommendations, or simply
      findings - for
      your information.

      I have looked over John's dissertation a few times, and my
      study would
      go off in a different direction. It would focus on the WIA
      group (i.e,
      the teachers), as opposed to the writing group (although the
      two
      boundaries are blurred -- a characteristic of CoPs, by the
      way). The
      study would address these basic questions: In what ways
      does WIA
      correspond to a CoP and in what ways does it depart from
      the CoP model?
      What stage of CoP development is WIA in? There will be
      more research
      questions (or rival hypotheses in case study lingo) that go
      into more
      detail. I'm working on these right now. Off the top of my
      head, there
      are probably several ways Webheads correspond to a CoP
      model, and some
      ways it departs from the model. Luckily, no one is going to
      give me a
      Ph.D. for saying something off the top of my head, rather
      through
      careful data analysis and steps to make the analysis as
      objective as
      possible.

      I would gather data for a specified amount of time analyzing
      communication, as well as interviews and surveys with the
      members. I
      have also found a quantitative instrument for measuring
      "community", and

      I am looking it over for its feasibilty as one (not the only)
      form of
      analysis. The time frame of the study is something I need to
      hammer out
      with my dissertation committee.

      I think the nice thing about this is that this study would
      coincide with

      the timing of your CoP presentation early next year. It would
      cause me
      to become quite involved with Webheads in this respect, and
      I think this

      work would aid you for the conference.

      I have already discussed this with my dissertation advisor,
      and she
      thinks it is a good direction to go. I would be very interested
      in your
      honest feedback and thoughts as well. We already have a
      Dr. Cat in
      Webheading, and maybe it would be cool to have a Dr.
      Community or
      Facilator....or something like that.

      Vance, if you think this should go into the forum, please go
      ahead and
      post it.

      Looking forward to your thoughts and opinions.

      Best,

      Chris

      http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/webhea
      ds.htm