RE: [evonline2002_webheads] Transferring video

  • Aiden Yeh
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 6, 2007
      Anne,

      Like Dan I also use a digital camera for recording students' presentations. The files are saved as .avi files on a SD card (1-2 GB), which I then transfer on my laptop. I usually place the files on D drive instead of C which has very limited space due to the programs I've installed on my computer. I then convert the .avi files to mp4 files to reduce file size. I use Jodix http://www.snapfiles.com/get/jodixipodvideo.html. Don't be misled with the word 'ipod'- the files are saved in mp4. With mp4, files are uploaded online easily, and it gives you more storage space.

      Another option is to store all the converted files (mp4) in one folder and burn them on a DVD (or CD depending on the number and size of your videos).

      I hope this helps.

      Aiden Yeh

      Dan Craig <dan@...> wrote:
      Hi Anne,

      Transferring raw AVI files from here to there would be insane. Like you
      question, teachers might not (likely won't) have 5GB (or more) free on their
      computers.

      So, before thinking about transfer, I would consider using cameras with
      built-in compression. The new hard drive cameras do this. They are a
      little pricey, but a great option with projects like yours in mind. The
      compression that they use isn't great, but it's much smaller than raw .AVI.

      Another, cheaper, option is to use a DVD-ROM camera and just give them the
      DVD (or copy one for them). It's instant gratification. However, special
      software is required to get the video from the DVD to an editable format on
      their computers.

      <snip>

      Recent Activity

      3
      New Members

      Visit Your Group
      Yahoo! Kickstart
      Sign up today!
      Your school could
      win a $25K donation.

      Need traffic?
      Drive customers
      With search ads
      on Yahoo!

      Move More
      on Yahoo! Groups
      This is your life
      not a phys-ed class.

      .

    • Richard Turnbull
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 7, 2007
        Hi there

        I also use my digital camera as I find this the most hassle free and
        although the quality isn't great, it does the job! Have a look at
        http://www.yousendit.com/ a service that can email large files on your
        behalf (although limited to 100MB unless you pay!) as an alternative way of
        distribution.

        Good luck

        Richard

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 7, 2007
          Hi Anne and all,

          You can also try this FTP tool, http://fireftp.mozdev.org/
          Transfer files straight from your browser. Here's their blurb:
          "FireFTP is a free, secure, cross-platform FTP client for Mozilla
          Firefox which provides easy and intuitive access to FTP servers."

          Here's the catch: you need Firefox

          Richard, I agree, yousendit.com also works for sending big stuff,
          which also makes it great for transferring files. However, it can't
          be used as an online storage; files uploaded on yousendit.com will
          only be stored online for 7 days.

          Cheers,

          Aiden

          Aiden

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Turnbull"
          <richard@...> wrote:

          > Hi there
          >

          > I also use my digital camera as I find this the most hassle free
          and
          > although the quality isn't great, it does the job! Have a look at
          > http://www.yousendit.com/ a service that can email large files on
          your
          > behalf (although limited to 100MB unless you pay!) as an
          alternative way of
          > distribution.
          >

          > Good luck
          >
          > Richard
          >
          ><snip>
        • Anne Fox
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 10, 2007
            Thank you very much for your thoughts. This makes it clearer to me what
            the options are. I also wondered if there was an obvious answer which
            I'd overlooked. It seems not.

            By the way the new page flakes teacher edition seems to be a really
            simple way of introducing blogs etc to teachers and students alike.
            http://teacher.pageflakes.com/
            Are there any disadvantages beyond the fact that you can't embed code
            in the blog (but then you can add videos, podcasts etc to your hearts
            content around the sides). Perhaps it doesn't count as a real blog for
            the likes of Technorati?

            Anne