Transferring video

  • Anne Fox
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 6, 2007
      I have a technical question. I am involved with a school education
      service who wish to extend the experience of their student visitors
      by having some online collaboration before and after the visit. We
      discussed that it would be a good idea for students to shoot some
      video during their visit which they could then take away and edit
      once back at school. But then we realised that there might be a
      problem with transferring the video shot on the centre's cameras onto
      the teacher's computer.

      Solutions we thought of included
      ftp (too complicated)
      using an internet uploading service (too time-consuming?)
      asking teachers to bring a laptop and downloading using the flash
      memory (would teachers have 5Gb free on their laptops?)
      lending teachers the flash memory (but would it ever be returned?)

      When I came home this evening I found some advertising for a wireless
      gadget that transfers video from say a TV to a DVD player. Would that
      work between a camcorder and a computer? Would it be fast?

      We want to avoid somebody, either the teacher or the centre staff,
      spending lots of time on the transfer. Is that possible I wonder?
    • Dan Craig
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 6, 2007
        Hi Anne,

        Transferring raw AVI files from here to there would be insane. Like you
        question, teachers might not (likely won't) have 5GB (or more) free on their
        computers.

        So, before thinking about transfer, I would consider using cameras with
        built-in compression. The new hard drive cameras do this. They are a
        little pricey, but a great option with projects like yours in mind. The
        compression that they use isn't great, but it's much smaller than raw .AVI.

        Another, cheaper, option is to use a DVD-ROM camera and just give them the
        DVD (or copy one for them). It's instant gratification. However, special
        software is required to get the video from the DVD to an editable format on
        their computers.

        One more option that I'm using a lot these days is just using a regular
        digital camera (not video) with the built-in video feature that most have
        these days. My Casio takes video nearly as good as my video camera (in
        well-lit conditions). The videos are a highly compressed .AVI which are
        easy and fast to transfer. 1GB of memory will get you about 10 minutes of
        video time. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it is.

        With smaller video sizes using a web-based option is easier to fathom.
        While the uploads will still take a while, you just click it and forget it.
        Of course, you will have to choose a service that has large upload limits.
        Many have large storage limits but relatively small (under 100MB) file size
        limits.

        Good luck and I'd love to hear from others as well.

        Dan

        dan@...

[...]

        .

        <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=4412599/grpspId=1705080709/msgId
        =17295/stime=1196981749/nc1=5008812/nc2=3848578/nc3=4840957>

      • Aiden Yeh
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 6, 2007
          Anne,

          Like Dan I also use a digital camera for recording students' presentations. The files are saved as .avi files on a SD card (1-2 GB), which I then transfer on my laptop. I usually place the files on D drive instead of C which has very limited space due to the programs I've installed on my computer. I then convert the .avi files to mp4 files to reduce file size. I use Jodix http://www.snapfiles.com/get/jodixipodvideo.html. Don't be misled with the word 'ipod'- the files are saved in mp4. With mp4, files are uploaded online easily, and it gives you more storage space.

          Another option is to store all the converted files (mp4) in one folder and burn them on a DVD (or CD depending on the number and size of your videos).

          I hope this helps.

          Aiden Yeh

          Dan Craig <dan@...> wrote:
          Hi Anne,

          Transferring raw AVI files from here to there would be insane. Like you
          question, teachers might not (likely won't) have 5GB (or more) free on their
          computers.

          So, before thinking about transfer, I would consider using cameras with
          built-in compression. The new hard drive cameras do this. They are a
          little pricey, but a great option with projects like yours in mind. The
          compression that they use isn't great, but it's much smaller than raw .AVI.

          Another, cheaper, option is to use a DVD-ROM camera and just give them the
          DVD (or copy one for them). It's instant gratification. However, special
          software is required to get the video from the DVD to an editable format on
          their computers.

          <snip>

          Recent Activity

          3
          New Members

          Visit Your Group
          Yahoo! Kickstart
          Sign up today!
          Your school could
          win a $25K donation.

          Need traffic?
          Drive customers
          With search ads
          on Yahoo!

          Move More
          on Yahoo! Groups
          This is your life
          not a phys-ed class.

          .

        • Richard Turnbull
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 7, 2007
            Hi there

            I also use my digital camera as I find this the most hassle free and
            although the quality isn't great, it does the job! Have a look at
            http://www.yousendit.com/ a service that can email large files on your
            behalf (although limited to 100MB unless you pay!) as an alternative way of
            distribution.

            Good luck

            Richard

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 7, 2007
              Hi Anne and all,

              You can also try this FTP tool, http://fireftp.mozdev.org/
              Transfer files straight from your browser. Here's their blurb:
              "FireFTP is a free, secure, cross-platform FTP client for Mozilla
              Firefox which provides easy and intuitive access to FTP servers."

              Here's the catch: you need Firefox

              Richard, I agree, yousendit.com also works for sending big stuff,
              which also makes it great for transferring files. However, it can't
              be used as an online storage; files uploaded on yousendit.com will
              only be stored online for 7 days.

              Cheers,

              Aiden

              Aiden

              --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Turnbull"
              <richard@...> wrote:

              > Hi there
              >

              > I also use my digital camera as I find this the most hassle free
              and
              > although the quality isn't great, it does the job! Have a look at
              > http://www.yousendit.com/ a service that can email large files on
              your
              > behalf (although limited to 100MB unless you pay!) as an
              alternative way of
              > distribution.
              >

              > Good luck
              >
              > Richard
              >
              ><snip>
            • Anne Fox
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 10, 2007
                Thank you very much for your thoughts. This makes it clearer to me what
                the options are. I also wondered if there was an obvious answer which
                I'd overlooked. It seems not.

                By the way the new page flakes teacher edition seems to be a really
                simple way of introducing blogs etc to teachers and students alike.
                http://teacher.pageflakes.com/
                Are there any disadvantages beyond the fact that you can't embed code
                in the blog (but then you can add videos, podcasts etc to your hearts
                content around the sides). Perhaps it doesn't count as a real blog for
                the likes of Technorati?

                Anne