Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Language searches on the net

  • Fernanda Rodrigues
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
      On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 15:42:16 -0000
      "pgreenleaf" <op112698d@...> wrote:

      > Does any one know the best way of searching for examples of specific bits of language on the net. IE I want my students to find professions ending in -or (doctor) or -er (driver) or nouns ending in -ment, etc
      > Simply typing '-ment' into Google doesn't seem to be very effective!
      > Thanks in advance...
      > Paddy
      > Paddy Greenleaf
      > Senior Teacher for Companies
      > International House Viseu
      > Email: pgreenleaf@...
      > Telef: 232420850
      > Website: www.ihviseu.com <http://www.ihviseu.com/>
      comunicando essa intenção.
    • Fernanda Rodrigues
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
        Hi Paddy
        You may try:
        http://vlc.polyu.edu.hk/
        and select "ends with" -or

        I hope this helps

        Fernanda in foggy Setúbal

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
          Hi Bill
          It accepts "union". Is it acceptable?

          Fernanda

          On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 17:53:08 -0000
          "Bill Williams" <Bill.Williams@...> wrote:

          > Emboldened by this I then tried Googling "nouns ending in ment" which
          > led to this promising-looking language quiz page:
          > http://es.geocities.com/pereni090361/web/vocabulary/ion_ment_quiz.htm
          >
          > Doubts start to creep in here though when I discover I don't appear to
          > know the answer to part of the quiz: a noun ending in "ment" or "ion"
          > which is derived from the verb unite ??
          > Hmmm...
        • Bill Williams
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
            Thanks Fernanda, the Setubal fog you mention has obviously got into my
            brain :-)

            Bill

            <fernanda.rodrigues@...> wrote:
            > It accepts "union". Is it acceptable?
            >
            > Fernanda
            >
            > On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 17:53:08 -0000
            > "Bill Williams" <Bill.Williams@...> wrote:
            >

            > > Emboldened by this I then tried Googling "nouns ending in ment" which
            > > led to this promising-looking language quiz page:
            > > http://es.geocities.com/pereni090361/web/vocabulary/ion_ment_quiz.htm
            > >
            > > Doubts start to creep in here though when I discover I don't
            appear to
            > > know the answer to part of the quiz: a noun ending in "ment" or "ion"
            > > which is derived from the verb unite ??
            > > Hmmm...

          • Paddy Greenleaf
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 5, 2007
              This is amazing - and precisely what I find so rewarding, interesting
              and helpful about this and other similar sites... the number of both
              interested and very helpful responses one gets to relatively obscure
              requests! So thank you all! I'm sure that by keeping quiet, battling
              away on my own and eventually giving up in my frustration to find
              what I wanted, I would not only not have got an answer, but I'm sure
              I would have done others out of the chance of learning new
              information which the community thows up from such simple requests!
              (That's my insight for the morning on community learning!)

              I had useful feedback on the BEsig group too:

              1. I have been using <http://www.thefreedictionary.com> for sometime
              and learners simply like it. It is an online dictionary where you can
              search for whole words, or by the first/ last letters. (This
              functionality was made for phrases but it also works with words).
              I have just tried it and it seems difficult to limit the search to a
              specific semantic field. Searches for words ending in -ment or -made
              however work fine.
              Yassine SABIR

              and

              2. I appreciate you ask about doing this on the web, but it is very
              easy to do on the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary on CD-Rom.
              Felicity O'Dell
              Cambridge UK

              Thaks to all!

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 5, 2007