Re: Language searches on the net

  • seth.dickens
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
      P.S. I have used this site before: http://www.morewords.com/
      which allows you to search for words ending in...

      It's not Google though and Google does kind of add authenticity to the
      searches doesn't it?

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "seth.dickens"
      <sethdickens@...> wrote:

      > Hi Paddy,
      >
      > Hmmm I thought the asterisk would do it, but I tried out "*er" before
      > I posted to double check and... it doesn't! I just got a load of stuff
      > about the ER medical program :-(
      >
      > So I now wait for someone wiser than I to solve our problem :-D
      >
      > Seth.
      >

      > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "pgreenleaf"
      > <op112698d@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Does any one know the best way of searching for examples of specific
      > bits of language on the net. IE I want my students to find professions
      > ending in -or (doctor) or -er (driver) or nouns ending in -ment, etc
      > > Simply typing '-ment' into Google doesn't seem to be very effective!
      > > Thanks in advance...
      > > Paddy
      > > Paddy Greenleaf
      > > Senior Teacher for Companies
      > > International House Viseu
      > > Email: pgreenleaf@
      > > Telef: 232420850
      > > Website: www.ihviseu.com <http://www.ihviseu.com/>

    • Bill Williams
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
        Thanks Seth - Morewords is a neat resource I hadn't seen before.

        I tried "professions ending in er" in Google and discovered quite a
        useful BBC page which could be of used to your students, Paddy:
        http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learni
        tv177.shtml

        Emboldened by this I then tried Googling "nouns ending in ment" which
        led to this promising-looking language quiz page:
        http://es.geocities.com/pereni090361/web/vocabulary/ion_ment_quiz.htm

        Doubts start to creep in here though when I discover I don't appear to
        know the answer to part of the quiz: a noun ending in "ment" or "ion"
        which is derived from the verb unite ??
        Hmmm...

        Bill Williams
      • Fernanda Rodrigues
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
          On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 15:42:16 -0000
          "pgreenleaf" <op112698d@...> wrote:

          > Does any one know the best way of searching for examples of specific bits of language on the net. IE I want my students to find professions ending in -or (doctor) or -er (driver) or nouns ending in -ment, etc
          > Simply typing '-ment' into Google doesn't seem to be very effective!
          > Thanks in advance...
          > Paddy
          > Paddy Greenleaf
          > Senior Teacher for Companies
          > International House Viseu
          > Email: pgreenleaf@...
          > Telef: 232420850
          > Website: www.ihviseu.com <http://www.ihviseu.com/>
          comunicando essa intenção.
        • Fernanda Rodrigues
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
            Hi Paddy
            You may try:
            http://vlc.polyu.edu.hk/
            and select "ends with" -or

            I hope this helps

            Fernanda in foggy Setúbal

            On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 15:42:16 -0000

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
              Hi Bill
              It accepts "union". Is it acceptable?

              Fernanda

              On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 17:53:08 -0000
              "Bill Williams" <Bill.Williams@...> wrote:

              > Emboldened by this I then tried Googling "nouns ending in ment" which
              > led to this promising-looking language quiz page:
              > http://es.geocities.com/pereni090361/web/vocabulary/ion_ment_quiz.htm
              >
              > Doubts start to creep in here though when I discover I don't appear to
              > know the answer to part of the quiz: a noun ending in "ment" or "ion"
              > which is derived from the verb unite ??
              > Hmmm...
            • Bill Williams
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
                Thanks Fernanda, the Setubal fog you mention has obviously got into my
                brain :-)

                Bill

                <fernanda.rodrigues@...> wrote:
                > It accepts "union". Is it acceptable?
                >
                > Fernanda
                >
                > On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 17:53:08 -0000
                > "Bill Williams" <Bill.Williams@...> wrote:
                >

                > > Emboldened by this I then tried Googling "nouns ending in ment" which
                > > led to this promising-looking language quiz page:
                > > http://es.geocities.com/pereni090361/web/vocabulary/ion_ment_quiz.htm
                > >
                > > Doubts start to creep in here though when I discover I don't
                appear to
                > > know the answer to part of the quiz: a noun ending in "ment" or "ion"
                > > which is derived from the verb unite ??
                > > Hmmm...

              • Paddy Greenleaf
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 5, 2007
                  This is amazing - and precisely what I find so rewarding, interesting
                  and helpful about this and other similar sites... the number of both
                  interested and very helpful responses one gets to relatively obscure
                  requests! So thank you all! I'm sure that by keeping quiet, battling
                  away on my own and eventually giving up in my frustration to find
                  what I wanted, I would not only not have got an answer, but I'm sure
                  I would have done others out of the chance of learning new
                  information which the community thows up from such simple requests!
                  (That's my insight for the morning on community learning!)

                  I had useful feedback on the BEsig group too:

                  1. I have been using <http://www.thefreedictionary.com> for sometime
                  and learners simply like it. It is an online dictionary where you can
                  search for whole words, or by the first/ last letters. (This
                  functionality was made for phrases but it also works with words).
                  I have just tried it and it seems difficult to limit the search to a
                  specific semantic field. Searches for words ending in -ment or -made
                  however work fine.
                  Yassine SABIR

                  and

                  2. I appreciate you ask about doing this on the web, but it is very
                  easy to do on the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary on CD-Rom.
                  Felicity O'Dell
                  Cambridge UK

                  Thaks to all!

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 5, 2007