Re: Language searches on the net

  • seth.dickens
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
      Hi Paddy,

      Hmmm I thought the asterisk would do it, but I tried out "*er" before
      I posted to double check and... it doesn't! I just got a load of stuff
      about the ER medical program :-(

      So I now wait for someone wiser than I to solve our problem :-D

      Seth.

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "pgreenleaf"
      <op112698d@...> wrote:

      > Does any one know the best way of searching for examples of specific
      bits of language on the net. IE I want my students to find professions
      ending in -or (doctor) or -er (driver) or nouns ending in -ment, etc
      > Simply typing '-ment' into Google doesn't seem to be very effective!
      > Thanks in advance...
      > Paddy
      > Paddy Greenleaf
      > Senior Teacher for Companies
      > International House Viseu
      > Email: pgreenleaf@...
      > Telef: 232420850
      > Website: www.ihviseu.com <http://www.ihviseu.com/>

    • seth.dickens
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
        P.S. I have used this site before: http://www.morewords.com/
        which allows you to search for words ending in...

        It's not Google though and Google does kind of add authenticity to the
        searches doesn't it?

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "seth.dickens"
        <sethdickens@...> wrote:

        > Hi Paddy,
        >
        > Hmmm I thought the asterisk would do it, but I tried out "*er" before
        > I posted to double check and... it doesn't! I just got a load of stuff
        > about the ER medical program :-(
        >
        > So I now wait for someone wiser than I to solve our problem :-D
        >
        > Seth.
        >

        > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "pgreenleaf"
        > <op112698d@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Does any one know the best way of searching for examples of specific
        > bits of language on the net. IE I want my students to find professions
        > ending in -or (doctor) or -er (driver) or nouns ending in -ment, etc
        > > Simply typing '-ment' into Google doesn't seem to be very effective!
        > > Thanks in advance...
        > > Paddy
        > > Paddy Greenleaf
        > > Senior Teacher for Companies
        > > International House Viseu
        > > Email: pgreenleaf@
        > > Telef: 232420850
        > > Website: www.ihviseu.com <http://www.ihviseu.com/>

      • Bill Williams
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
          Thanks Seth - Morewords is a neat resource I hadn't seen before.

          I tried "professions ending in er" in Google and discovered quite a
          useful BBC page which could be of used to your students, Paddy:
          http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learni
          tv177.shtml

          Emboldened by this I then tried Googling "nouns ending in ment" which
          led to this promising-looking language quiz page:
          http://es.geocities.com/pereni090361/web/vocabulary/ion_ment_quiz.htm

          Doubts start to creep in here though when I discover I don't appear to
          know the answer to part of the quiz: a noun ending in "ment" or "ion"
          which is derived from the verb unite ??
          Hmmm...

          Bill Williams
        • Fernanda Rodrigues
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
            On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 15:42:16 -0000
            "pgreenleaf" <op112698d@...> wrote:

            > Does any one know the best way of searching for examples of specific bits of language on the net. IE I want my students to find professions ending in -or (doctor) or -er (driver) or nouns ending in -ment, etc
            > Simply typing '-ment' into Google doesn't seem to be very effective!
            > Thanks in advance...
            > Paddy
            > Paddy Greenleaf
            > Senior Teacher for Companies
            > International House Viseu
            > Email: pgreenleaf@...
            > Telef: 232420850
            > Website: www.ihviseu.com <http://www.ihviseu.com/>
            comunicando essa intenção.
          • Fernanda Rodrigues
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
              Hi Paddy
              You may try:
              http://vlc.polyu.edu.hk/
              and select "ends with" -or

              I hope this helps

              Fernanda in foggy Setúbal

              On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 15:42:16 -0000

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
                Hi Bill
                It accepts "union". Is it acceptable?

                Fernanda

                On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 17:53:08 -0000
                "Bill Williams" <Bill.Williams@...> wrote:

                > Emboldened by this I then tried Googling "nouns ending in ment" which
                > led to this promising-looking language quiz page:
                > http://es.geocities.com/pereni090361/web/vocabulary/ion_ment_quiz.htm
                >
                > Doubts start to creep in here though when I discover I don't appear to
                > know the answer to part of the quiz: a noun ending in "ment" or "ion"
                > which is derived from the verb unite ??
                > Hmmm...
              • Bill Williams
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
                  Thanks Fernanda, the Setubal fog you mention has obviously got into my
                  brain :-)

                  Bill

                  <fernanda.rodrigues@...> wrote:
                  > It accepts "union". Is it acceptable?
                  >
                  > Fernanda
                  >
                  > On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 17:53:08 -0000
                  > "Bill Williams" <Bill.Williams@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > > Emboldened by this I then tried Googling "nouns ending in ment" which
                  > > led to this promising-looking language quiz page:
                  > > http://es.geocities.com/pereni090361/web/vocabulary/ion_ment_quiz.htm
                  > >
                  > > Doubts start to creep in here though when I discover I don't
                  appear to
                  > > know the answer to part of the quiz: a noun ending in "ment" or "ion"
                  > > which is derived from the verb unite ??
                  > > Hmmm...

                • Paddy Greenleaf
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 5, 2007
                    This is amazing - and precisely what I find so rewarding, interesting
                    and helpful about this and other similar sites... the number of both
                    interested and very helpful responses one gets to relatively obscure
                    requests! So thank you all! I'm sure that by keeping quiet, battling
                    away on my own and eventually giving up in my frustration to find
                    what I wanted, I would not only not have got an answer, but I'm sure
                    I would have done others out of the chance of learning new
                    information which the community thows up from such simple requests!
                    (That's my insight for the morning on community learning!)

                    I had useful feedback on the BEsig group too:

                    1. I have been using <http://www.thefreedictionary.com> for sometime
                    and learners simply like it. It is an online dictionary where you can
                    search for whole words, or by the first/ last letters. (This
                    functionality was made for phrases but it also works with words).
                    I have just tried it and it seems difficult to limit the search to a
                    specific semantic field. Searches for words ending in -ment or -made
                    however work fine.
                    Yassine SABIR

                    and

                    2. I appreciate you ask about doing this on the web, but it is very
                    easy to do on the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary on CD-Rom.
                    Felicity O'Dell
                    Cambridge UK

                    Thaks to all!

                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 5, 2007