Language searches on the net

  • pgreenleaf
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
      Does any one know the best way of searching for examples of specific bits of language on the net. IE I want my students to find professions ending in -or (doctor) or -er (driver) or nouns ending in -ment, etc
      Simply typing '-ment' into Google doesn't seem to be very effective!
      Thanks in advance...
      Paddy
      Paddy Greenleaf
      Senior Teacher for Companies
      International House Viseu
      Email: pgreenleaf@...
      Telef: 232420850
      Website: www.ihviseu.com <http://www.ihviseu.com/>
    • seth.dickens
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
        Hi Paddy,

        Hmmm I thought the asterisk would do it, but I tried out "*er" before
        I posted to double check and... it doesn't! I just got a load of stuff
        about the ER medical program :-(

        So I now wait for someone wiser than I to solve our problem :-D

        Seth.

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "pgreenleaf"

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
          P.S. I have used this site before: http://www.morewords.com/
          which allows you to search for words ending in...

          It's not Google though and Google does kind of add authenticity to the
          searches doesn't it?

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "seth.dickens"
          <sethdickens@...> wrote:

          > Hi Paddy,
          >
          > Hmmm I thought the asterisk would do it, but I tried out "*er" before
          > I posted to double check and... it doesn't! I just got a load of stuff
          > about the ER medical program :-(
          >
          > So I now wait for someone wiser than I to solve our problem :-D
          >
          > Seth.
          >

          > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "pgreenleaf"
          > <op112698d@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Does any one know the best way of searching for examples of specific
          > bits of language on the net. IE I want my students to find professions
          > ending in -or (doctor) or -er (driver) or nouns ending in -ment, etc
          > > Simply typing '-ment' into Google doesn't seem to be very effective!
          > > Thanks in advance...
          > > Paddy
          > > Paddy Greenleaf
          > > Senior Teacher for Companies
          > > International House Viseu
          > > Email: pgreenleaf@
          > > Telef: 232420850
          > > Website: www.ihviseu.com <http://www.ihviseu.com/>

        • Bill Williams
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
            Thanks Seth - Morewords is a neat resource I hadn't seen before.

            I tried "professions ending in er" in Google and discovered quite a
            useful BBC page which could be of used to your students, Paddy:
            http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learni
            tv177.shtml

            Emboldened by this I then tried Googling "nouns ending in ment" which
            led to this promising-looking language quiz page:
            http://es.geocities.com/pereni090361/web/vocabulary/ion_ment_quiz.htm

            Doubts start to creep in here though when I discover I don't appear to
            know the answer to part of the quiz: a noun ending in "ment" or "ion"
            which is derived from the verb unite ??
            Hmmm...

            Bill Williams
          • Fernanda Rodrigues
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
              On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 15:42:16 -0000
              "pgreenleaf" <op112698d@...> wrote:

              > Does any one know the best way of searching for examples of specific bits of language on the net. IE I want my students to find professions ending in -or (doctor) or -er (driver) or nouns ending in -ment, etc
              > Simply typing '-ment' into Google doesn't seem to be very effective!
              > Thanks in advance...
              > Paddy
              > Paddy Greenleaf
              > Senior Teacher for Companies
              > International House Viseu
              > Email: pgreenleaf@...
              > Telef: 232420850
              > Website: www.ihviseu.com <http://www.ihviseu.com/>
              comunicando essa intenção.
            • Fernanda Rodrigues
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
                Hi Paddy
                You may try:
                http://vlc.polyu.edu.hk/
                and select "ends with" -or

                I hope this helps

                Fernanda in foggy Setúbal

                On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 15:42:16 -0000

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
                  Hi Bill
                  It accepts "union". Is it acceptable?

                  Fernanda

                  On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 17:53:08 -0000
                  "Bill Williams" <Bill.Williams@...> wrote:

                  > Emboldened by this I then tried Googling "nouns ending in ment" which
                  > led to this promising-looking language quiz page:
                  > http://es.geocities.com/pereni090361/web/vocabulary/ion_ment_quiz.htm
                  >
                  > Doubts start to creep in here though when I discover I don't appear to
                  > know the answer to part of the quiz: a noun ending in "ment" or "ion"
                  > which is derived from the verb unite ??
                  > Hmmm...
                • Bill Williams
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
                    Thanks Fernanda, the Setubal fog you mention has obviously got into my
                    brain :-)

                    Bill

                    <fernanda.rodrigues@...> wrote:
                    > It accepts "union". Is it acceptable?
                    >
                    > Fernanda
                    >
                    > On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 17:53:08 -0000
                    > "Bill Williams" <Bill.Williams@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > Emboldened by this I then tried Googling "nouns ending in ment" which
                    > > led to this promising-looking language quiz page:
                    > > http://es.geocities.com/pereni090361/web/vocabulary/ion_ment_quiz.htm
                    > >
                    > > Doubts start to creep in here though when I discover I don't
                    appear to
                    > > know the answer to part of the quiz: a noun ending in "ment" or "ion"
                    > > which is derived from the verb unite ??
                    > > Hmmm...

                  • Paddy Greenleaf
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 5, 2007
                      This is amazing - and precisely what I find so rewarding, interesting
                      and helpful about this and other similar sites... the number of both
                      interested and very helpful responses one gets to relatively obscure
                      requests! So thank you all! I'm sure that by keeping quiet, battling
                      away on my own and eventually giving up in my frustration to find
                      what I wanted, I would not only not have got an answer, but I'm sure
                      I would have done others out of the chance of learning new
                      information which the community thows up from such simple requests!
                      (That's my insight for the morning on community learning!)

                      I had useful feedback on the BEsig group too:

                      1. I have been using <http://www.thefreedictionary.com> for sometime
                      and learners simply like it. It is an online dictionary where you can
                      search for whole words, or by the first/ last letters. (This
                      functionality was made for phrases but it also works with words).
                      I have just tried it and it seems difficult to limit the search to a
                      specific semantic field. Searches for words ending in -ment or -made
                      however work fine.
                      Yassine SABIR

                      and

                      2. I appreciate you ask about doing this on the web, but it is very
                      easy to do on the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary on CD-Rom.
                      Felicity O'Dell
                      Cambridge UK

                      Thaks to all!

                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 5, 2007