Blogs, podcasts & wikis for/with Young Learners

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2007
      Hi Eric,

      I'm not sure how young your young learners are. I would point you first to

      Dieu, Barbara, and Vance Stevens. (2007), Pedagogical affordances of
      syndication, aggregation, and mash-up of content on the Web. TESL-EJ, Volume
      11, Number 1: http://tesl-ej.org/ej41/int.html

      There are descriptions there of Bee's Dekita project, in particular where
      she aggregates student writing at the Orchard: http://dekita.org/orchard/

      You can also find a description there of the WritingMatrix project which
      also works on the aggregation approach. A good intro to that would be the 4
      minute 'teaser' we made for the K-12 Online conference at
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHjlCY0BCNo and if you think this applies to
      your situation then put the word writingmatrix into a Google search and
      you'll find all you want to know about that project.

      Another exemplary project is Paul Allison's Youth Voices. Paul has shown
      some very multiliterate communication skills in describing his project here:
      http://www.veoh.com/series/paulallison

      I think all of these examples could be applied to learners of almost any
      age. If you listen to the Worldbridges network you'll realize that no child
      need be left behind from experiencing the wonders of blogging and social
      networking, starting from kindergarten. There is plenty of recorded
      material there covering transformative applications of technology in the
      entire range of grade school levels. And a lot of that crowd funnels
      through the K-12 Online conference, where again a wealth of material from
      the last two years awaits the intrepid researcher.

      Don't forget to point us to the podcast of your presentation :-),

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2007
        Hi Eric:
        I don't know if it was a Great Idea : http://easdelvalle06.blogspot.com/
        My students saw an Opera rock and posted about different scenes. Webhead teachers from all over the world gave their comments.
        It was a good experience.
        They included a simple survey.
        Hugs
        Susana