Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re:Blogs, podcasts & wikis for/with Young Learners

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2007
      Dear Dennis,

      Thank you! How very sweet of you.

      I had planned to reply to Eric, but I've been correcting tests all afternoon
      and totally forgot. Thanks for doing it for me. It honors me. :-)

      Beijinhos, Teresa

      Hi, Eric--and everyone.

      I'm sure you already know about Teresa Almeida d'Eça's award-winning
      work with middle-school students in Parede, Portugal, but just in
      case you don't, check out the following:

      http://fwe2.motime.com/
      ("Have Fun with English 2" blog: see archived pages as well as the
      currently-showing one)

      http://call05-06.motime.com/
      ("CALL Lessons, 2005 - 2007": see archived pages as well as the
      currently-showing one)

      Student work is featured throughout these excellent materials--for
      example, in student comments in the blogs and in the art galleries.

      All the best--

      Dennis in Phoenix
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2007
        Hi Eric,

        I'm not sure how young your young learners are. I would point you first to

        Dieu, Barbara, and Vance Stevens. (2007), Pedagogical affordances of
        syndication, aggregation, and mash-up of content on the Web. TESL-EJ, Volume
        11, Number 1: http://tesl-ej.org/ej41/int.html

        There are descriptions there of Bee's Dekita project, in particular where
        she aggregates student writing at the Orchard: http://dekita.org/orchard/

        You can also find a description there of the WritingMatrix project which
        also works on the aggregation approach. A good intro to that would be the 4
        minute 'teaser' we made for the K-12 Online conference at
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHjlCY0BCNo and if you think this applies to
        your situation then put the word writingmatrix into a Google search and
        you'll find all you want to know about that project.

        Another exemplary project is Paul Allison's Youth Voices. Paul has shown
        some very multiliterate communication skills in describing his project here:
        http://www.veoh.com/series/paulallison

        I think all of these examples could be applied to learners of almost any
        age. If you listen to the Worldbridges network you'll realize that no child
        need be left behind from experiencing the wonders of blogging and social
        networking, starting from kindergarten. There is plenty of recorded
        material there covering transformative applications of technology in the
        entire range of grade school levels. And a lot of that crowd funnels
        through the K-12 Online conference, where again a wealth of material from
        the last two years awaits the intrepid researcher.

        Don't forget to point us to the podcast of your presentation :-),

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2007
          Hi Eric:
          I don't know if it was a Great Idea : http://easdelvalle06.blogspot.com/
          My students saw an Opera rock and posted about different scenes. Webhead teachers from all over the world gave their comments.
          It was a good experience.
          They included a simple survey.
          Hugs
          Susana