Privacy?

  • Richard Turnbull
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2007
      Hi there everybody... I am a relatively new member to this group and have
      been reading through all the excellent top tips - thanks, this group is
      really great!

      I have a question - recently I did a lesson with my group here in England
      and they phoned out through Skype to a large commercial company as part of
      their listening and speaking practice - the aim was to get detailed
      information about mobile phones. We recorded the calls with Pamela and it
      all worked a treat. The students loved (and hated!) the experience, but it
      was incredibly valuable for analysis, both from a bottom-up and top-down
      perspective. The simplest misunderstandings would send the conversations
      off on a completely different tangent. It really opened the students eyes
      when they listened again. My question is regarding privacy here - do you
      think it is necessary for the students to tell the operator they are being
      recorded? I guess this is both a legal question (but I understand the laws
      will vary from country to country) but also a moral question.

      I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

      Thanks

      Richard