Re:Blogs, podcasts & wikis for/with Young Learners

  • Dennis Oliver
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2007
      Hi, Eric--and everyone.

      I'm sure you already know about Teresa Almeida d'Eça's award-winning
      work with middle-school students in Parede, Portugal, but just in
      case you don't, check out the following:

      http://fwe2.motime.com/
      ("Have Fun with English 2" blog: see archived pages as well as the
      currently-showing one)

      http://call05-06.motime.com/
      ("CALL Lessons, 2005 - 2007": see archived pages as well as the
      currently-showing one)

      Student work is featured throughout these excellent materials--for
      example, in student comments in the blogs and in the art galleries.

      All the best--

      Dennis in Phoenix
    • Carla arena
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2007
        Hi, Eric,

        Maybe you'd like to check Erika Cruvinel's young students' podcast about
        their pets and the students introducing themselves.

        http://erikacruvinel.podomatic.com

        This is a project we had between teens in Brazil and Argentina
        http://www.brazilargentina1.edublogs.org/

        This was a fantastic scrapbooking project (students in Brazil made a
        scrapbook and the Argentinians made another one. the scrapbooks were
        exchanged by snail mail, but during the project, students got in touch via
        blog)
        http://www.brazilargentina.blogspot.com/ (Teachers Erika Cruvinel and
        Claudia Bellusci)

        Cartoon Festival (Brazil - Argentina)
        http://cartoonfestival.pbwiki.com/

        Well, Eric, I hope it helps. If you need extra info about these projects,
        let me know.

        Beijos,
        Carla

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2007
          Dear Dennis,

          Thank you! How very sweet of you.

          I had planned to reply to Eric, but I've been correcting tests all afternoon
          and totally forgot. Thanks for doing it for me. It honors me. :-)

          Beijinhos, Teresa

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 4, 2007
            Hi Eric,

            I'm not sure how young your young learners are. I would point you first to

            Dieu, Barbara, and Vance Stevens. (2007), Pedagogical affordances of
            syndication, aggregation, and mash-up of content on the Web. TESL-EJ, Volume
            11, Number 1: http://tesl-ej.org/ej41/int.html

            There are descriptions there of Bee's Dekita project, in particular where
            she aggregates student writing at the Orchard: http://dekita.org/orchard/

            You can also find a description there of the WritingMatrix project which
            also works on the aggregation approach. A good intro to that would be the 4
            minute 'teaser' we made for the K-12 Online conference at
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHjlCY0BCNo and if you think this applies to
            your situation then put the word writingmatrix into a Google search and
            you'll find all you want to know about that project.

            Another exemplary project is Paul Allison's Youth Voices. Paul has shown
            some very multiliterate communication skills in describing his project here:
            http://www.veoh.com/series/paulallison

            I think all of these examples could be applied to learners of almost any
            age. If you listen to the Worldbridges network you'll realize that no child
            need be left behind from experiencing the wonders of blogging and social
            networking, starting from kindergarten. There is plenty of recorded
            material there covering transformative applications of technology in the
            entire range of grade school levels. And a lot of that crowd funnels
            through the K-12 Online conference, where again a wealth of material from
            the last two years awaits the intrepid researcher.

            Don't forget to point us to the podcast of your presentation :-),

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 5, 2007
              Hi Eric:
              I don't know if it was a Great Idea : http://easdelvalle06.blogspot.com/
              My students saw an Opera rock and posted about different scenes. Webhead teachers from all over the world gave their comments.
              It was a good experience.
              They included a simple survey.
              Hugs
              Susana