Blogs, podcasts & wikis for/with Young Learners

  • Eric Baber
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
      Hi all,

      I'll be giving a presentation in a couple of days on the use of blogs,
      podcasts & wikis with Young Learners and would like to update some of the
      materials I've used before. Do any of you have any recommendations of
      sources or examples to showcase? I'm looking for both content aimed at young
      learners, and content made by young learners themselves. Thanks for any
      suggestions!

      Eric
    • Dennis Oliver
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2007
        Hi, Eric--and everyone.

        I'm sure you already know about Teresa Almeida d'Eça's award-winning
        work with middle-school students in Parede, Portugal, but just in
        case you don't, check out the following:

        http://fwe2.motime.com/
        ("Have Fun with English 2" blog: see archived pages as well as the
        currently-showing one)

        http://call05-06.motime.com/
        ("CALL Lessons, 2005 - 2007": see archived pages as well as the
        currently-showing one)

        Student work is featured throughout these excellent materials--for
        example, in student comments in the blogs and in the art galleries.

        All the best--

        Dennis in Phoenix
      • Carla arena
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2007
          Hi, Eric,

          Maybe you'd like to check Erika Cruvinel's young students' podcast about
          their pets and the students introducing themselves.

          http://erikacruvinel.podomatic.com

          This is a project we had between teens in Brazil and Argentina
          http://www.brazilargentina1.edublogs.org/

          This was a fantastic scrapbooking project (students in Brazil made a
          scrapbook and the Argentinians made another one. the scrapbooks were
          exchanged by snail mail, but during the project, students got in touch via
          blog)
          http://www.brazilargentina.blogspot.com/ (Teachers Erika Cruvinel and
          Claudia Bellusci)

          Cartoon Festival (Brazil - Argentina)
          http://cartoonfestival.pbwiki.com/

          Well, Eric, I hope it helps. If you need extra info about these projects,
          let me know.

          Beijos,
          Carla

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2007
            Dear Dennis,

            Thank you! How very sweet of you.

            I had planned to reply to Eric, but I've been correcting tests all afternoon
            and totally forgot. Thanks for doing it for me. It honors me. :-)

            Beijinhos, Teresa

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 4, 2007
              Hi Eric,

              I'm not sure how young your young learners are. I would point you first to

              Dieu, Barbara, and Vance Stevens. (2007), Pedagogical affordances of
              syndication, aggregation, and mash-up of content on the Web. TESL-EJ, Volume
              11, Number 1: http://tesl-ej.org/ej41/int.html

              There are descriptions there of Bee's Dekita project, in particular where
              she aggregates student writing at the Orchard: http://dekita.org/orchard/

              You can also find a description there of the WritingMatrix project which
              also works on the aggregation approach. A good intro to that would be the 4
              minute 'teaser' we made for the K-12 Online conference at
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHjlCY0BCNo and if you think this applies to
              your situation then put the word writingmatrix into a Google search and
              you'll find all you want to know about that project.

              Another exemplary project is Paul Allison's Youth Voices. Paul has shown
              some very multiliterate communication skills in describing his project here:
              http://www.veoh.com/series/paulallison

              I think all of these examples could be applied to learners of almost any
              age. If you listen to the Worldbridges network you'll realize that no child
              need be left behind from experiencing the wonders of blogging and social
              networking, starting from kindergarten. There is plenty of recorded
              material there covering transformative applications of technology in the
              entire range of grade school levels. And a lot of that crowd funnels
              through the K-12 Online conference, where again a wealth of material from
              the last two years awaits the intrepid researcher.

              Don't forget to point us to the podcast of your presentation :-),

              > I'll be giving a presentation in a couple of days on the use of blogs,
              > podcasts & wikis with Young Learners and would like to update some of the
              > materials I've used before. Do any of you have any recommendations of
              > sources or examples to showcase? I'm looking for both content aimed at
              > young
              > learners, and content made by young learners themselves. Thanks for any
              > suggestions!
              >
              > Eric
            • Susana Canelo
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 5, 2007
                Hi Eric:
                I don't know if it was a Great Idea : http://easdelvalle06.blogspot.com/
                My students saw an Opera rock and posted about different scenes. Webhead teachers from all over the world gave their comments.
                It was a good experience.
                They included a simple survey.
                Hugs
                Susana