Re: [evonline2002_webheads] authentic listening materials

  • Aiden Yeh
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2002
      Thanks Tom. For my class this Wednesday, we'd be discussing Movie Reviews. I found one listening activity in Randall's Listening Activity page. From there, I will go to Yahoo Movies and see the reviews on "Sweet Home Alabama" which is the current Top Blockbuster movie in the US but ironically got a B-/C review. And from here, I'll go to Voice of America (VOA Movies) and listen to Alan Silverman's review of the movie, listen to the soundtrack (Mine All Mine by SheDaisy) and do a quick Choosing your Mate online quiz (Sweet home Alabama.com).

      Hope this helps.
      Aiden Yeh

      Thomas Robb wrote:Hi all,

      I'm an infrequent contributor to webheads but I'd like to give you a web
      heads-up on a site that could be a gold mine for authentic
      listening/viewing materials.

      You have probably seen "The Wayback Machine" http://webdev.archive.org/
      which archives Internet web pages. They now have an addition called the
      Prelinger Archives which currently contains 1255 movies, all of which are
      either streamed, downloadable or both. The bulk of them are documentaries
      of U.S. origin from the 1930s through the 1960s. What makes them really
      great is that the actors & voice-overs speak so s-l-o-w-l-y and clearly.
      This was apparently the norm back then and makes them ideal for ESL/EFL
      classes.

      I'm thinking of using some of them for cloze-type listening activities, but
      surely there must be other innovative ways that they can be used. Any
      ideas?

      Click on 'moving images' at the top of the page to get to the archives.

      Cheers,
      --Tom

      ** Thomas Robb, Kyoto Sangyo University, Japan <trobb@...-su.ac.jp> **
      ** Homepage: http://www.kyoto-su.ac.jp/~trobb/index.html **