Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Who are the Webheads?

  • Aiden Yeh
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2007
      50--wow, and that was years ago. Do you have time to do another quick scan?

      Cheers,

      Aiden

      Michael Coghlan <michaelc@...> wrote:
      Hi Michael - I like your concise description of who are the webheads.
      I think though that 'nearly every country on the planet are
      represented' is a bit of a stretch. No one has really counted but a
      couple of years ago I did a quick scan and thought we were
      represented in about 50 countries.

      - Michael.

      At 01:00 AM 11/4/2007, you wrote:

      >In emails to certain friends who have little or no educational
      >affiliations, I would sometimes bring up "the Webheads" when they asked
      >me where I found this site, or that link to cool software, etc., and on
      >a few occasions, they asked me "Who are the Webheads?".
      >Well, I have tried to provie a concise answer on my blog
      ><http://realenglish.wordpress.com/category/webheads/>http://realenglish.wordpress.com/category/webheads/
      >
      >It's a modest attempt at making a summary. I could have written many
      >pages.
      >
      >Bisous from France,
      >
      >Mike Marzio

    • Michael Marzio
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2007
        Thanks, Michael. I'm going to make that correction right now.

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Michael Coghlan
        <michaelc@...> wrote:

        > Hi Michael - I like your concise description of who are the
        webheads.
        > I think though that 'nearly every country on the planet are
        > represented' is a bit of a stretch. No one has really counted but a
        > couple of years ago I did a quick scan and thought we were
        > represented in about 50 countries.
        >
        > - Michael.
        >
        > At 01:00 AM 11/4/2007, you wrote:
        >
        > >In emails to certain friends who have little or no educational
        > >affiliations, I would sometimes bring up "the Webheads" when they
        asked
        > >me where I found this site, or that link to cool software, etc.,
        and on
        > >a few occasions, they asked me "Who are the Webheads?".
        > >Well, I have tried to provie a concise answer on my blog
        >
        ><http://realenglish.wordpress.com/category/webheads/>http://realengli
        sh.wordpress.com/category/webheads/

        > >It's a modest attempt at making a summary. I could have written
        many
        > >pages.
        > >
        > >Bisous from France,
        > >
        > >Mike Marzio

      • Michael Marzio
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2007
          Ooops - I answered Michael too quickly.

          I wonder how I would go about doing a quick scan to find out the
          number of countries represented today?

          Bises,

          mike m

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Aiden Yeh
          <aidenyeh@...> wrote:

          > 50--wow, and that was years ago. Do you have time to do another
          quick scan?

          > Cheers,
          >
          > Aiden
          >
          > Michael Coghlan <michaelc@...> wrote:
          > Hi Michael - I like your concise description of who are
          the webheads.
          > I think though that 'nearly every country on the planet are
          > represented' is a bit of a stretch. No one has really counted but a
          > couple of years ago I did a quick scan and thought we were
          > represented in about 50 countries.
          >
          > - Michael.
          >
          > At 01:00 AM 11/4/2007, you wrote:
          >
          > >In emails to certain friends who have little or no educational
          > >affiliations, I would sometimes bring up "the Webheads" when they
          asked
          > >me where I found this site, or that link to cool software, etc.,
          and on
          > >a few occasions, they asked me "Who are the Webheads?".
          > >Well, I have tried to provie a concise answer on my blog
          >
          ><http://realenglish.wordpress.com/category/webheads/>http://realengli
          sh.wordpress.com/category/webheads/

          > >It's a modest attempt at making a summary. I could have written
          many
          > >pages.
          > >
          > >Bisous from France,
          > >
          > >Mike Marzio

        • GLENN VANCE STEVENS
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2007
            Hi Folks,

            Not quite true that no one has ever made a count of countries represented, though probably no one has ever counted countries in both the Webheads student and Webheads in Action groups.  I took the stats below on the former group in May 2003.  These figures are from near the bottom of:
            http://www.homestead.com/prosites-vstevens/files/efi/students.htm

            There is an out of date list of Webheads in Action members here (some countries are listed)
            http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/community.htm

            There is probably similar info buried in the Moodle and Drupal sites but it would take some work to go and get it.  A better way would be to set up a wiki where people could go in and list the country of origin and the country where they currently live and work, for me USA and UAE respectively.

            236 total number of Webheads (in Writing for Webheads in May 2003)

            Note that this does not include people in the Webheads in Action group, the teachers, that is, members of this list.

            80 in the student group had not told us where they come from (as of 2003)

            84 from Taiwan

            72 come from the following countries

            1 from Argentina

            4 from Australia

            1 from Austria

            1 from Bahamas

            6 from Brazil

            1 from Bulgaria

            1 from Chile

            1 from Congo-Brazzaville

            1 from Cyprus (Greek)

            1 from Denmark

            1 from France

            1 from Hong Kong

            1 from Hungary

            3 from India

            4 from Indonesia

            1 from Iran

            1 from Ireland

            3 from Italy

            1 from Jamaica

            6 from Japan

            1 from Jordan

            2 from Korea

            1 from Kurdistan (Iraqi?)

            3 from Mexico

            1 from Morocco

            1 from New Zealand

            1 from Nicaragua

            3 from Pakistan

            1 from Poland

            8 from People's Republic of China

            1 from Puerto Rico

            1 from Russia

            1 from Saudi Arabia

            3 from Spain

            1 from Sri Lanka

            1 from Sweden

            2 from Thailand

            6 from Turkey

            4 from UK

            1 from Ukraine

            10 Americans (2 living in Germany, 1 in UAE, 1 in France, 1 in Puerto Rico)

            2 from Venezuela

            2 from Vietnam

            hth,

            From: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com