[learningwithcomputers] Re:How To Make The Cell Phone Into A Portable Scanner

  • John Hibbs
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2007
      When Jane Petring writes, I pay /very/ special attention.

      But in this case, I am not sure I share her worries about "cheating"
      by way of technology.

      It seems to me that the single most important lesson in education is
      how to quickly and affordably acquire reliable, accurate information,
      as needed.

      For example, should we prevent use of calculators during math tests?
      If that answer is "yes", then should we allow use of laptops? laptops
      connected to the Net?

      Should we dissuade students from imaginative ways to acquire the
      "right" answer? Or should we help them by exposing them to tools that
      are increasingly more and more affordable.

      This is a complicated subject. For example, I honestly think that
      sailors who have learned to use the sextant are better sailors
      because they have learned the "power of close observation". I suppose
      the same can be said for those who still know how to use a slide
      rule? Or for pilots who now rely in the GPS a vs. "old fashioned"
      navigation devices. (Recently I was a co-pilot in a small plane and
      noticed the pilot rarely looked out the window -- we almost hit a
      weather balloon because we were so intent on looking at the
      instrument panel.)

      How do we teach the power of observation and the worth of watching
      out for weather balloons at the same time we are encouraging use of
      technology to aid in the acquisition of good solutions?

      John Hibbs
      http://www.bfranklin.edu/johnhibbs