Screenshots

  • Dennis Newson
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 25, 2007
      Can anyone recommend a good, free program for producing readable
      screenshots?

      Dennis

      --
      Dennis Newson (retired)
      University of Osnabrück

    • Gavin Dudeney
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 26, 2007
        Dennis,

        IrfanView is good, and free:

        http://www.irfanview.com/

        Gavin

        c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain

        Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770

        <http://www.theconsultants-e.com/> http://www.theconsultants-e.com

        Winners of a 2007 British Council ELTON award - <http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54>
        http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54

        Owners of the Second Life EduNation sims - <http://tinyurl.com/34l8mw>
        http://tinyurl.com/34l8mw

        Sponsors of the UK Moodle Conference - <http://www.moodlemoot.org/>
        http://www.moodlemoot.org

        CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE

        Can anyone recommend a good, free program for producing readable
        screenshots?

        Dennis

        --
        Dennis Newson (retired)
        University of Osnabrück
        GERMANY
        Webhead,
        Discussion Moderator IATEFL YL SIG
        Moderator of a number of other TEFL e-lists

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        17:38

        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 26, 2007
          I'm growing enamored/enamoured of Jing, http://www.jingproject.com/. It is
          capable of capturing images and screencasts from your computer and storing
          them at a hosted URL so that they can be shared online, though the word on
          the street is that free capacity is quite limited. I haven't reached the
          end of mine yet, but I've discovered that there is an option to save the
          captured files on your computer. So it sits on your desktop, you activate
          it as needed, it has a remarkably minimalist interface, you slice out what
          you want to capture, save, and done, as you were. You can then use the file
          from your computer as you like, email it, upload it to a blog or wiki,
          whatever.

          I also have Snaggit, made by the same company TechSmith, but not free, and a
          little more cumbersome to use.

          Alternatively, with an PC out of the box, simply hit Prt Scrn, paste the
          entire desktop image to Paint, save it, and go back and crop with any photo
          editor. I use IrfanView as my free one and I also have Gimp, though I don't
          use it much, though it's an open source Photoshop.

          Can anyone recommend a good, free program for producing readable
          screenshots?

          Dennis

          --
          Dennis Newson (retired)
          University of Osnabrück
          GERMANY
          Webhead,
          Discussion Moderator IATEFL YL SIG
          Moderator of a number of other TEFL e-lists

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Fire in Korea
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 26, 2007
            I use http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/
            Gadwin Printscreen.

            It's nice cause it integrates with your printscreen button, and allows you
            to pre-set the destination of the captured output.

            Using it is easy. Just press printscreen, and you can draw a box around a
            region of the screen,------ and then press enter.. the captured output will
            then go to either: a file, the clipboard, or the printe depending on your
            preset.

            Anyhow, it works for me, only bummer part is, if I preset it to file, it
            defaults to a preset location, it doesnt ask you for the location each time,
            so you manually have to change the preset location all the time (if you are
            saving screen captures to file)

            On 10/26/07, Gavin Dudeney <gavin.dudeney@...> wrote:

            > Dennis,
            >
            > IrfanView is good, and free:
            >
            > http://www.irfanview.com/
            >
            > Gavin
            >
            > Gavin Dudeney - Project Director, The Consultants-E
            >
            > c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
            >
            > Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770
            >
            > <http://www.theconsultants-e.com/> http://www.theconsultants-e.com
            >
            > Winners of a 2007 British Council ELTON award - <http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54
            > >
            > http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54
            >
            > Owners of the Second Life EduNation sims - <http://tinyurl.com/34l8mw>
            > http://tinyurl.com/34l8mw
            >
            > Sponsors of the UK Moodle Conference - <http://www.moodlemoot.org/>
            > http://www.moodlemoot.org
            >
            > CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE
            >
            > This email and any attachments are private and confidential. It is
            > intended
            > for the recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
            > disclosure, distribution, printing or copying of this email is
            > unauthorised.
            > You may not read, use or take any action in reliance on it. If you have
            > received this email in error please notify the sender immediately by
            > replying to this email and permanently delete the email from your
            > computer.
            > The contents of any attachments to this e-mail may contain software
            > viruses
            > which could damage your own computer system. While we have taken every
            > reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability
            > for
            > any damage which you sustain as a result of software viruses. You should
            > carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachments.

            -
            Paul Preibisch
            President

            B3D
            Seoul, South Korea
            Skype: eslteacherlink.com
            Second Life Id: Fire Centaur
            English Village SLURL:
            http://slurl.com/secondlife/English%20Village/131/162/126/?x=500&y=500&img=http%3A//eslteacherlink.com/ev.jpg&title=English%20Village&

            Facebook Groups:
            Second Life for Educators:
            http://www.f8.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2370947641
            JoomlaSL: http://www.f8.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2387164946
            Profile Page: http://www.f8.facebook.com/profile.php?id=627331676

          • Dennis Newson
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 26, 2007
              Gavin, Vance, Fire - Thanks for such helpful answers, I can have fun today
              trying them all out.

              Dennis

            • Andreas Büsing
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 26, 2007
                Hi,

                My favourite is still Hardcopy:

                < http://www.info.hardcopy.de/english/index.php>

                Hope it helps

                Best wishes

                Andreas

                Phone: 01801-63384604568

                Fax: 01805-0068648058
                Skype: bigfellow68
                <http://elta-rhine.blogspot.com/> http://elta-rhine.blogspot.com/

                „I have found that if you love life, life will love you back.“

                Arthur Rubinstein

                -end of message-

                _____

                ,___

              • Dennis Newson
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 26, 2007
                  Vance and list,

                  JING looks fabulous and deserves time exploring its possibilities, but it's
                  a bit over-powered for what I need to do - take some shots of Audacity
                  settings to post at Worldbridges.

                  Your second suggestion -

                  ".... simply hit Prt Scrn, paste the entire desktop image to Paint, save it,
                  and go back and crop with any photo
                  editor. I use IrfanView as my free one and I also have Gimp, though I don't

                  use it much, though it's an open source Photoshop."

                  looks about right for the job:

                  -----

                  Easy peasy. I've got IrfanView,. but tried net.paint instead.

                  http://www.getpaint.net/

                  Netpaint is regularly updated, and looks pretty cool to me, though such a
                  program needs a lot of use before it can be recommended unhesitatingly.

                  -------

                  Tried Irfan View but couldn't find out, after a short hunt, how to insert a
                  captured image with contrl + V, i.e. from the clipboard.

                  -----

                  Sky Fire,

                  Gadwin, though, seems pretty straightforward and not over-engineered for my
                  simple purposes.

                  Now to capture those settings............. In the old days I'd have just
                  used a few words to describe them........

                  Dennis

                • Barbara Dieu
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 26, 2007
                    If you're looking for image/photo editing, you can use
                    http://www.picnik.com/
                    It has paired with Flickr and now you can do all online.
                    Warm regards from Brazil,
                    Bee

                    --
                    Barbara Dieu
                    http://dekita.org

                  • Michael Shade
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 26, 2007
                      I hate to sound smug but here goes: Mac OS X has its own screenshot
                      application 'Grab', which can be invoked at any time, from within any
                      application - Cmnd-Shift-4 gives you the full screen, Cmnd-Shift-3
                      enables you to drag a selection box across any area.

                      And Mac OS X 10.5 'Leopard' comes out this evening (UK time).

                      Cheers,

                      MIchael
                      (sounding smug and hating it!)
                      --------------------
                      Michael Shade
                      michael@...
                      http://www.michalska.net
                      http://blog.michalska.net/
                      http://sanmiguelbajo.pbwiki.com/

                      On 26 Oct 2007, at 09:52, Barbara Dieu wrote:

                      > If you're looking for image/photo editing, you can use
                      > http://www.picnik.com/
                      > It has paired with Flickr and now you can do all online.
                      > Warm regards from Brazil,
                      > Bee
                      >
                      > --
                      > Barbara Dieu
                      > http://dekita.org
                      > http://beewebhead.net

                    • Gavin Dudeney
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 26, 2007
                        Michael,

                        PrtSc on a PC... but I think we thought Dennis was looking for something
                        more versatile.

                        Hope the leopard gets re-captured soon : - )

                        Gavin

                        From: Michael Shade
                        Subject: Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Screenshots

                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 26, 2007
                          Bee, if you had a dollar for every time you had answered one of my requests
                          for help and information, you could retire at the end of the years.

                          Andreas. I apologise on behalf of my rude provider. Thanks - downloading in
                          progress.

                          Dennis

                        • Peter Travis
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 26, 2007
                            Dennis

                            Apologies if this has been recommended already - I
                            haven't had time yet to go through all the responses.
                            Try Snippy:
                            http://www.bhelpuri.net/Snippy/
                            I still do it the hard way: 'Printscreen'/Into
                            Photoshop etc. Others I've spoken to reckon Snippy
                            makes it all a lot easier.
                            Best wishes
                            Pete
                            Flo-Joe

                            --- Dennis Newson <djn@...> wrote:

                            > Can anyone recommend a good, free program for
                            > producing readable
                            > screenshots?
                            >
                            > Dennis
                            >
                            > --
                            > Dennis Newson (retired)
                            > University of Osnabrück
                            > GERMANY
                            > Webhead,
                            > Discussion Moderator IATEFL YL SIG
                            > Moderator of a number of other TEFL e-lists

                            > removed]
                            >

                            > For more information:

                            > When replying to postings, please delete this footer
                            > and any other extraneous text from the reply -
                            > Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete this
                            > footer and any other extraneous text from the reply
                            > - Thanks!!
                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            > (Yahoo! ID required)

                            mailto:evonline2002_webheads-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                          • Lee Baber
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 26, 2007
                              I am glad to see the shortcuts for Grab. Thanks Michael. I use Mac
                              and love to grab Grab for a quick shot. I also use JIng alot and to
                              clarify the quick shot for that, if you download Jing and start it
                              you can use Apple Shift 1to then drag over what you want to shoot, it
                              will offer the option to click image or video. For your purposes,
                              click image then save. It gives you the option to save where you
                              want and it is done. Your picture is small and is ready really fast.
                              The video is as easy and when you click save, it creates one .swf
                              flash file which when uploaded, plays nicely as long as the
                              application your using accepts flash.

                              Cheers,
                              Lee

                              On Oct 26, 2007, at 4:41 AM, Dennis Newson wrote:

                              > Vance and list,
                              >
                              > JING looks fabulous and deserves time exploring its possibilities,
                              > but it's
                              > a bit over-powered for what I need to do - take some shots of Audacity
                              > settings to post at Worldbridges.
                              >
                              > Your second suggestion -
                              >
                              > ".... simply hit Prt Scrn, paste the entire desktop image to Paint,
                              > save it,
                              > and go back and crop with any photo
                              > editor. I use IrfanView as my free one and I also have Gimp, though
                              > I don't
                              >
                              > use it much, though it's an open source Photoshop."
                              >
                              > looks about right for the job:
                              >
                              > -----
                              >
                              > Easy peasy. I've got IrfanView,. but tried net.paint instead.
                              >
                              > http://www.getpaint.net/
                              >
                              > Netpaint is regularly updated, and looks pretty cool to me, though
                              > such a
                              > program needs a lot of use before it can be recommended
                              > unhesitatingly.
                              >
                              > -------
                              >
                              > Tried Irfan View but couldn't find out, after a short hunt, how to
                              > insert a
                              > captured image with contrl + V, i.e. from the clipboard.
                              >
                              > -----
                              >
                              > Sky Fire,
                              >
                              > Gadwin, though, seems pretty straightforward and not over-
                              > engineered for my
                              > simple purposes.
                              >
                              > Now to capture those settings............. In the old days I'd have
                              > just
                              > used a few words to describe them........
                              >
                              > Dennis

                              Lee Baber
                              lbaber@...
                              Computer, Art, & Banjo

                            • Dennis Newson
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 26, 2007
                                Pete - Thanks. Off to try it. Lee, you are speaking a language I don't
                                understand. M.M.M something? Seriously- on behalf of all Mac users - thanks.

                                Dennis

                              • Lee Baber
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 26, 2007
                                  Oops..sorry. Jing is not platform specific. I meant to say command
                                  shift 1 will automatically give you the choice to drag over what you
                                  need to capture. :) Sorry Dennis ..( I was using my Mac shortcuts!)

                                  On Oct 26, 2007, at 8:39 AM, Dennis Newson wrote:

                                  > Pete - Thanks. Off to try it. Lee, you are speaking a language I don't
                                  > understand. M.M.M something? Seriously- on behalf of all Mac users
                                  > - thanks.
                                  >
                                  > Dennis

                                  Lee Baber
                                  lbaber@...
                                  Computer, Art, & Banjo

                                • Isabel Teixeira
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 26, 2007
                                    Dear Dennis,
                                    I usually use Fast Stone-htttp://www.faststone.org to create screenshoots in an easy way.
                                    Isabel

                                    Dennis Newson <djn@...> escreveu:
                                    Pete - Thanks. Off to try it. Lee, you are speaking a language I don't
                                    understand. M.M.M something? Seriously- on behalf of all Mac users - thanks.

                                    Dennis

                                    Isabel Cristina de Araújo Teixeira

                                  • Dennis Newson
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 26, 2007
                                      Isabel,

                                      How nice to hear from you again.

                                      Thanks for the Fastone recommendation, I have downloaded all 4 programs to
                                      try out.

                                      Best wishes,

                                      Hugs, even, :-)

                                      Dennis

                                    • Nina Liakos
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 30, 2007
                                        I like Fastone Capture but it isn't free anymore. I can use it on my old
                                        computer but when I tried to download it to the new one it was a free trial
                                        only. So I am glad to know about some alternatives.

                                        Nina

                                      • Karen
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 31, 2007
                                          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Newson"
                                          <djn@...> wrote:

                                          > Can anyone recommend a good, free program for producing readable
                                          > screenshots?
                                          >
                                          > Dennis
                                          >
                                          > --
                                          > Dennis Newson (retired)
                                          > University of Osnabrück
                                          > GERMANY
                                          > Webhead,
                                          > Discussion Moderator IATEFL YL SIG
                                          > Moderator of a number of other TEFL e-lists

                                        • Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Nov 1, 2007
                                            Both PC and Mac have ways to take screenshots, Dennis--

                                            PC: hold down FN and PrtScr to send a copy of the screen to your
                                            clipboard. Open MS Paint or Photo Shop and >Paste. Saves as a .bmp
                                            file or can be converted in Photo Shop.

                                            Mac OS X: open Grab and from the >Capture menu select >Selection or
                                            >Window. Saves as a .pic file,

                                            To convert either file to Web format (.jpg), I use Graphic Converter
                                            (about $35 US for either PC or Mac). However, the quality or
                                            readability of the screen will depend on how good your monitor/feed is
                                            to begin with, doesn't it? You can enlarge the print on your screen or
                                            browser, and that might help with legibility.

                                            There are also a number of programs that will record motion on your
                                            screen--a screencast. You didn't say what your purposes were?

                                            Cheers--
                                            --Elizabeth

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Nov 1, 2007
                                              Thanks, Elizabeth.

                                              My purpose was and is as follows: I'm learning to webcast at the Webcast
                                              Academy and I want to be able to take screencasts of the many settings that
                                              are involved in several different programs, and sections within those
                                              programs so that the tutors can guide me.

                                              There have been so many answers to this question about screen shots, that,
                                              as a thank you, I'm planning to list suggestions and post them to the list.

                                              Dennis