RE: [evonline2002_webheads] Virtual Thesaurus

  • Gavin Dudeney
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2007
      John,

      The Visual Thesuarus is indeed a thing of beauty. A few years ago when it
      first appeared it was free, then it went to limited lookups, which I imagine
      it�s still at. Were I teaching advanced learners these days and had a
      computer in the classroom, I might well fork out that kind of money.

      Nice resource,

      Gavin

      c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain

      Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770

      HYPERLINK "http://www.theconsultants-e.com/"http://www.theconsultants-e.com

      Winners of a 2007 British Council ELTON award - HYPERLINK
      "http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54"http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54

      Owners of the Second Life EduNation sims - HYPERLINK
      "http://tinyurl.com/34l8mw"http://tinyurl.com/34l8mw

      Sponsors of the UK Moodle Conference - HYPERLINK
      "http://www.moodlemoot.org/"http://www.moodlemoot.org

      CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2007
        I used mostly Wikipedia and its sister projects like en.wikitionary.org
        en.wikibooks.org en.wkiquotes.org and lots of useful Wikimedia projects that
        are free. There is also commons.wikimedia.org that is full of great images
        that mostly you can use without any fears.

        ~Ibrahim

        --
        www.ibrahimrustamov.com
      • Nina Liakos
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 5, 2007
          I just looked up a couple of words on the Virtual Thesaurus, trying it out.
          It's cool, but it has the same problem of any ordinary thesaurus in the
          hands of non-native speakers: it doesn't differentiate between the words
          sharing a single "node" of meaning. Longman has come out with something
          called the Longman Language Activator, which bridges the gap between a
          thesaurus and a dictionary. Words and expressions are grouped according to
          semantic field, as in a thesaurus, but they are also defined and more
          importantly, distinguished; a user learns appropriate situations for the use
          of each word or phrase (e.g., use "altitude" when talking about the height
          above sea level of mountainous or high regions, or when discussing how high
          planes fly). If you have ever corrected a student who wrote of the altitude
          of a skyscarper, you will appreciate this. It's an excellent tool for
          finding just the right word for a particular situation. Longman also
          publishes a less expensive smaller version for intermediate students called The
          Essential Activator but I wouldn't recommend it--there is too much that is
          left out, including simple words like "evaluation" and "encounter".

          http://eltcatalogue.pearsoned-ema.com/Product.asp?CallingPage=Catalogue&ISBN=9780582419520&SearchTerm=