Re: [evonline2002_webheads] HELP - Desperate - EFL through internet???

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2007
      Hi folks,

      I've been playing around with some of the Mandarin language opportunities
      offered by Yaodong and Catherine through http://www.study.com I'm a
      complete beginner at the language and both teachers speak English which I
      suppose is essential for me to get started. However, I try and track the
      conversation in an excel dbase I've set up for that purpose and I find using
      this technique I can converse to a limited extent in Mandarin by making use
      of the dbase, which allows me to have quick access to the language I've just
      learned and use it communicatively, with reasonable results.

      There is also Rosetta Stone, which starts beginners off with pictures and
      sounds and builds in complexity.

      So given proper thought and first language support I would say it was
      possible, and given even more thought and time and funding to pay someone to
      do the thinking it should be possible to construct an environment whereby
      learners could immerse themselves in an initially simple but increasingly
      rich language context that would lead them into communicating using the
      learning objects or people they found there.