Re: GLD6 - October 13 2002

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 27, 2002
      Neil,

      Thanks for the invitation. I wonder if it would be possible for us
      (Webheads) to give a presentation as part of GLD6 between the hours of noon
      and 14:00 GMT on Sunday Oct 13. It wouldn't matter where the ship happened
      to be in its circumnavigation of the globe at that time because there are
      Webheads in all parts of the world. However this is the time that our
      Webheads community of language learners and teachers has been meeting online
      each Sunday for the past 4 years.

      http://sites.hsprofessional.com/vstevens/files/efi/webheads.htm
      and http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm

      Here are some of the tools we use:
      http://sites.hsprofessional.com/vstevens/files/efi/software.htm

      We have often met online to present at international conferences. There is a
      catalog of such presentations at http://www.vancestevens.com/papers.

      We can work into virtually any format (as long as it's virtual). In this
      case I believe I would call you from my office in Abu Dhabi and you would
      stream my presentation, or interview as it has happened in the past, where
      others around the world would be able to pick it up using Windows Media
      Player or Real Player. Webheads, doing what they do normally at this time
      each week, would also be broadcasting their web cams and chatting in Yahoo
      voice conference. Anybody so inclined could join us at any of these venues.

      Our most recent presentation of this nature was a part of the e-Merging
      e-Learning Conference at Higher Colleges of Technology Men's College, Abu
      Dhabi, UAE,
      http://www.admc.hct.ac.ae/admcinternet/eeconference/ee2002/Program.asp. The
      presentation was entitled: A visit with Webheads online community of practice
      for language learners and teachers, and the presentation was scheduled at
      noon GMT, Sunday September 8, 2002 to coincide with the time Webheads
      normally meet on Sunday.

      Here is an abstract: Writing for Webheads is an ongoing 'experiment in world
      friendship through online language learning' whose participants have been
      meeting weekly online for almost 4 years now. During that time, Webheads have
      experimented with numerous synchronous and web-based multimedia
      communications formats, and presented at several live and online conference
      venues. More recently, the community has formally expanded to embrace
      language teaching professionals in a community of practice called Webheads in
      Action. These communities come together online every Sunday for a regular
      session held at about the time of this demonstration. Therefore we have an
      opportunity at this session to convene members of the community online to
      demonstrate 'live' our use of free and easily accessible text, video, and
      voice enhanced synchronous communications technologies, while showing
      participants in GLD6 around the Webheads community.

      I look forward to your response to my proposal,

      Vance

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 27, 2002
        Vance,

        Nice invitation! And great that it'll coincide with our weekly TI (and
        YM) chat! Count me in.

        Teresa