Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Second Life

  • Graham Stanley
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 7, 2007
      Hi Joao,

      I have Mojopac set up on an 8GB drive, which allows me to run quite a lot of
      applications from it.
      It still takes a while to load my profile when I log in (but not too long),
      but I don't have any problems with installation or running applications
      afterwards.And SL runs fine on it.

      All the best,

      Graham

      >I have tried to install MojoPac. It works like a computer on your pen
      >drive but it's extremely slow. In spite of setting up the pen drive to
      >higher performance as explained in the site, it takes ages to load
      >your profile every time you try to use it. At least on my 1GB pen
      >drive. When you try to install an application on in like Adobe Reader
      >it takes very long to install. I wonder how SL runs on it.

    • Ingrid Braband
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 8, 2007
        Hi,

        I had a look at the archives of the educators in SL and found a
        description of how to get SL installed on a pen drive. You'll find it
        here:
        http://ets.tlt.psu.edu/virtualworlds/SLOnAFlashDrive

        I installed SL and created the batch script as described and got it
        working on a colleague's PC and on my laptop at home today. So I hope
        it will work for my teachers training in two weeks as well.

        I could not take Mojopac as it requires Windows XP.

        And as all our computers in the labs have "HDD sheriff" installed
        there should be nothing left after rebooting them.

        Happy I could help you after having been lurking for quite a time!

        Ingrid

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Dieu"
        <beeonline@...> wrote:

        > Hi Ingrid,
        > I am happy to know it worked for you. Maybe when you have a little
        time, you
        > could share the steps with us in case we run into a similar pb.
        > Warm regards,
        > Bee
        >
        > --
        > Barbara Dieu
        > http://dekita.org
        > http://beewebhead.net

      • Barbara Dieu
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 8, 2007
          > I installed SL and created the batch script as described and got it
          > working on a colleague's PC and on my laptop at home today. So I hope
          > it will work for my teachers training in two weeks as well.

          I recommend you check it well in advance "in loco" if you can, or
          prepare a plan B, just in case.
          Warm regards,
          Bee

          --
          Barbara Dieu
          http://dekita.org
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 8, 2007
            Hello Graham

            Are you talking about an 8GB pen drive? Can you give a few examples of
            applications you run from it?
            I think I'll install it on my iPod which has 30GB. Maybe it works better
            there although it's not as easy to use in another computer as a pen drive.
            It would be a nice to have portable applications that worked well on every
            computer.

            All the best

            Joao

            On 08/09/2007, Graham Stanley <blogefl@...> wrote:

            > Hi Joao,
            >
            > I have Mojopac set up on an 8GB drive, which allows me to run quite a lot
            > of
            > applications from it.
            > It still takes a while to load my profile when I log in (but not too
            > long),
            > but I don't have any problems with installation or running applications
            > afterwards.And SL runs fine on it.
            >
            > All the best,
            >
            > Graham
            >
            > >I have tried to install MojoPac. It works like a computer on your pen
            > >drive but it's extremely slow. In spite of setting up the pen drive to
            > >higher performance as explained in the site, it takes ages to load
            > >your profile every time you try to use it. At least on my 1GB pen
            > >drive. When you try to install an application on in like Adobe Reader
            > >it takes very long to install. I wonder how SL runs on it.

            Joao Alves

          • Graham Stanley
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 8, 2007
              Hi Joao,

              that's right - it's a "pen drive" (although it looks like a flat box of
              matches. I use SL principally, but I have other tools (Camtasia, Paint Shop
              Pro, Skype, etc) installed on it - anything I think might need that I don't
              have access to from the schools I work at.

              The iPod option sounds like a good idea

              Graham

              On 9/8/07, Joao Alves <j.alves46@...> wrote:

              > Hello Graham
              >
              > Are you talking about an 8GB pen drive? Can you give a few examples of
              > applications you run from it?
              > I think I'll install it on my iPod which has 30GB. Maybe it works better
              > there although it's not as easy to use in another computer as a pen drive.
              > It would be a nice to have portable applications that worked well on every
              > computer.
              >
              > All the best
              >
              > Joao

            • Joao Alves
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 8, 2007
                Hi Graham
                Ok, so your pen drive looks similar to my iPod... "a flat box o matches"...

                Yes, I think I'll try it on the iPod. I hope it works faster than on my 1GB
                pen drive. Yes, it's a good idea to have the applications installed there
                that we may miss at our work place. Thank you very much for sharing your
                experience on that.

                Joao

                On 08/09/2007, Graham Stanley <blogefl@...> wrote:

                > Hi Joao,
                >
                > that's right - it's a "pen drive" (although it looks like a flat box of
                > matches. I use SL principally, but I have other tools (Camtasia, Paint
                > Shop
                > Pro, Skype, etc) installed on it - anything I think might need that I
                > don't
                > have access to from the schools I work at.
                >
                > The iPod option sounds like a good idea
                >
                > Graham
                >
                > On 9/8/07, Joao Alves <j.alves46@... <j.alves46%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello Graham
                > >
                > > Are you talking about an 8GB pen drive? Can you give a few examples of
                > > applications you run from it?
                > > I think I'll install it on my iPod which has 30GB. Maybe it works better
                > > there although it's not as easy to use in another computer as a pen
                > drive.
                > > It would be a nice to have portable applications that worked well on
                > every
                > > computer.
                > >
                > > All the best
                > >
                > > Joao