Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Webhead Fun Meeting in Alexandria, Egypt - Vance's REPORT

  • elderbob@prodigy.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2007
      What a great tale in itself. Not only did this sound like a terrific
      workshop but it also exemplifies why an "unconference" can be such a
      powerful tool. It sounds like virtually everyone was a participant in some
      way, the subject matter of the sessions was pretty much determined by those
      who were willing to participate, and there were wonderful examples of the
      obstacles and pleasures to be encountered by getting involved. This sort of
      "Que sera, sera!" approach seems to be very productive. I would imagine
      that the attendees went home with lots of ideas on several levels and on
      several subjects. I think that beats the heck out of some dry, pre-planned,
      cut and paste speech. One of the best things that participants got to
      witness, was advanced knowledge workers working their magic. They went away
      with an understanding of how much they need to learn to make the internet a
      viable learning system. It's this sort of learning that does not usually
      come in the form of a conference session. I suspect you influenced a lot of
      people in ways that will be fruitful for years to come.

      Danged, I wish I had been there.....

      ebob

      On 9/2/07, GLENN VANCE STEVENS <vstevens@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > the plenary coming up in Alexandria was with us and enjoying the show, the
      > technicians had by then returned and got us speaking in Elluminate, and we
      > could hear what was being said, she was the one who had requested that demo,
      > and she was in no hurry to make us stop. So, something interesting happened.
      >
      > We were talking to Graham and Richard in Second Life and to Jose and Moira
      > and Sasa in Elluminate (Hala had just left). Graham was in no space other
      > than SL, and as these were separate spaces, I was going to my SL mic to talk
      > to him and to the Elluminate computer to talk to the others. But Richard
      > noted that when I spoke in Elluminate, he could hear what I said on his
      > computer. It clicked that Jose was streaming Elluminate into the Webcast and
      > Richard was hearing that. So I could talk to Richard as well as everyone
      > else in Elluminate and he could respond in SL voice. It occurred to me then
      > to include Graham in the conversation by talking into the USB and Elluminate
      > mics at the same time. This caused Richard to hear my SL chat and then get
      > the delayed rendition in the stream so he had to turn that off, but we had
      > successfully patched a conversation in SL into one going on in Elluminate,
      > and for those in the unWorkshop it was one of those WoW moments.
      >
      > I'm not quite sure how we got there. In the past three hours we had had
      > almost every conceivable meltdown. Starting with equipment failure, power
      > adaptor failing to function relegating the prime presentation laptop to
      > limited use, we had moved to browser crash brought on by McAfee malware,
      > that sort of design being the reason I had declined to purchase the program
      > in the first place, and subsequent reboot. We had lost Buth's display at
      > about the same time, and had been working with split screen projection up to
      > then where my computer video signal was incompatible with the projector
      > resolution (easily resolvable, but when you are juggling so many balls that
      > some are bouncing on the floor, what would be more obvious at a calmer
      > moment remains ellusive). With two computers down we had fought through
      > technical problems with a third computer and managed to get all computers
      > running in the end and bring the unWorkshop to a close on an epiphany
      > moment.
      >
      > Later in a plenary recap session, feedback on our unWorkshop was positive,
      > with all concerned saying they had learned a lot from Webheads. The only
      > criticism was that SL appeared to be perhaps too addictive, potentially
      > could take time away from family, and of course that it would be perhaps
      > inaccessible to a majority of stakeholders the sustainable ecologies people
      > were trying to reach in places where the pinch of limited resources is being
      > felt most. Other than that the participants seemed to be quite taken with
      > the potential, and spoke of having eyes wide opened.
      >
      > Many thanks to Buthaina for her competent and timely support!

      Helping folks understand that it's never too late to become all they ever
      wanted to become.

    • Buthaina Al-Othman
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 15, 2007
        Hello All,

        First, I'd like to thank the Webheads who made it to the Webhead FUN
        FARE session, lead by Vance, for their time, and support; especially
        Jose, Sasa, Graham, Bobbie, and excuse me if I forgot names of other
        supporters. You guys were really the stars and have impressed them
        all, with the cool, neat performance of the Maestro, Vance, as always.

        The following report is my version of the story on the 3-day exciting
        Unevent, by the IUCN & CEC:

        The IUCN unevent held in Alexandria, Egypt, August 31-Spetember 1,
        2007 was one of the most exciting, cool meetings I've ever attended.
        The atmosphere inside the main room was friendly, and a real blend of
        formal and informal. The organizers, who you could meet at this
        http://tinyurl.com/2xxxo4 did a wonderful job integrating interesting
        new learning and facilitating techniques to have people, the
        presenters and audience, get closer and think together during
        discussions after or before a presentation. I really liked the
        Carousel discussion technique that was used during the closing
        session; it encouraged everyone to get involved, contributing ideas,
        getting inspired, and learning, together. This was my first time to
        participate in this kind of activity which I hope to use in future
        projects.

        Moreover, I was happy to meet people from the Arab world and to
        exchange ideas about what can be done to help improve our region. I
        was thrilled to see how a number of them were so enthusiastic and
        determined to start trying to implement some of the new ideas once
        they return to their countries.

        Furthermore, I was also glad that I had the chance to hold an
        interesting conversation during the lunch break with the translator of
        this conference, a professor of Translation at the University of
        Alexandria, who did the translation from English to Arabic. Actually,
        I was curious to learn what Arabic words she used to express some
        technical terms and names, such as Web 2.0, blogs, and wikis that were
        mentioned in some presentations. I know that the Arabic word for a
        blog is "modawina", but it was interesting to find her preferred to
        use such names or terms in Arabic as they are said in English.

        Vance gave an interesting useful presentation, amazing the audience
        when he talked about tagging and then announced the conference tag,
        IUCNALEX. And, I talked about "Blending Formal & Informal Learning
        Using New Technologies in the Workplace", which you are welcome to
        view at: http://tinyurl.com/3xmdm2

        After each session, speakers were requested to go to separate rooms
        where participants had the chance to visit each of them to ask
        questions or comment. In my room, I was joined by participants
        interested in informal learning and the discussions were focused on
        ways to integrate informal learning in the workplace, in particular.

        On day 2, Vance ran the Unworkop successfully, impressing people,
        despite of the technical difficulties, he has already reported to you
        about. The unexpected part, for me at least, was that the participants
        were so interested in SL; and the funniest comment heard during the
        discussion that followed the workshop came from an Egyptian
        participant who said that "SecondLife should be called SecondWife" in
        an indication to the time one could spend at SL. They also liked
        Elluminate and asked many questions, including licensing and pricing!

        This IUCN 3-day Workshop was an eyes wide open experience for me. It
        helped me improve my plans for my classes for this semester of Fall
        2007, which starts here on, Monday, Sept. 17, 2007; and made feel
        optimistic about things people can do virtually together in terms of
        education, learning, teaching and facilitating, in order to make it a
        better world for all.

        Finally, here is a link to some more photos tagged with iucn2007 /
        iucnalex that I'd to share with you:
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/teacherbuth_summer04/tags/iucn2007 I also
        have a video clip of Vance with other participants that I'll share
        with you once I edit/shorten so that YouTube would accept it!

        One more thing, I'd like to express gratitude for Barbara Sawhill,and
        Dave Winet for their willingness to help and for being their for me;
        Barbara and Dave, thanks for your understanding, I'm sure that the
        technical situation are clearer to you through Vance's report. Claire
        Bradin Siskin, thanks for your supporting Tweets, which made me feel
        connected through my cellphone all the way to Beirut, until I made it
        to home in Kuwait. And my final big thank you goes to our best friend
        and constant supporter, John Hibbs :) Appreciate your encouragement
        and kind words, John...

        Wishing you all the best, and Happy Ramadan to all Moslim Webhead
        colleagues...

        Cheers :)

        Buth