Webheads Tour of Second Life Cities

  • Graham Stanley
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
      Hi everyone,*

      *There was a good turnout for last night's Webheads tour of Second Life, and
      although we didn't stick to the plan and went to only the Venice and
      Wonderful Denmark sims, I think it was quite an enlightening experience.
      Thanks in particualr to Sus, who suggested the Wonderful Denmark sim and
      arranged for her friends to give us a guided tour. This was the reason why
      we didn't go anywhere else - the Wonderful Denmark sim is a fascinating
      community and a great example of what Second Life should be - full of
      activity and a healthy mix of education, leisure and commerce. Thanks to
      Sus, and thanks to everyone else who turned up.

      I've written more about the tour here (including photos and chat transcript)

      http://blog-efl.blogspot.com/2007/09/webheads-tour-1-of-second-life-real.html
      or
      http://tinyurl.com/3a776d

      Regards,

      Graham

    • Barbara Dieu
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
        Hi Graham,
        Thanks for the report and I hope I can join you next Monday. I wanted
        to post sthg on your blog but could not - please allow users of other
        blogs to join the comment area. It is presently restricted to those
        who use Blogger only.

        I have visited Paris and Dublin (first beautiful but not many French
        people around and Dublin, very lively and lots of music in the bars) .
        I will try to find sthg around Brazil (I was very disappointed the
        last time I visited Brazil island - but there surely must be sthg
        worth seeing)
        Warm regards,
        Bee

        --
        Barbara Dieu
        http://dekita.org
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 5, 2007
          Hi Graham - Sorry I missed your tour, especially after hearing about
          Sus Nyrop's contribution.

          I ran across an article that SL webheads will be interested in
          reading at MIT's
          http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/18510/
          which contains a reference to yourself and your now famous quote
          about "a sense of place".

          Hope to see you next week,

          Mike Marzio

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Graham Stanley"

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 5, 2007
            Dear Graham,

            Congrats on both counts: the tour on Monday and the quote in the MIT
            article. Way to go! Hurrah for Webheads!!!

            Keep up the great work and have a very successful school year!

            Hugs, Teresa

            > Hi Graham - Sorry I missed your tour, especially after hearing about
            > Sus Nyrop's contribution.
            > I ran across an article that SL webheads will be interested in
            > reading at MIT's
            > http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/18510/
            > which contains a reference to yourself and your now famous quote
            > about "a sense of place".
            > Hope to see you next week,
            > Mike Marzio
          • Maria Irene Albers
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 5, 2007
              Dear Graham,
              Wow, a quote in an article in the MIT Technology Review. Congratulations,
              María Irene
              Valencia, Venezuela

              Congrats on both counts: the tour on Monday and the quote in the MIT

              article. Way to go! Hurrah for Webheads!!!

              Keep up the great work and have a very successful school year!

              Hugs, Teresa

              > Hi Graham - Sorry I missed your tour, especially after hearing about

              > Sus Nyrop's contribution.

              > I ran across an article that SL webheads will be interested in

              > reading at MIT's

              > http://www.technolo gyreview. com/Infotech/ 18510/

              > which contains a reference to yourself and your now famous quote

              > about "a sense of place".

              > Hope to see you next week,

              > Mike Marzio

              <!--

              #ygrp-mkp{
              #ygrp-mkp hr{
              border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
              #ygrp-mkp #hd{
              #ygrp-mkp #ads{
              margin-bottom:10px;}
              #ygrp-mkp .ad{
              padding:0 0;}
              #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
              color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
              -->

              <!--

              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
              font-family:Arial;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
              margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
              -->

              <!--

              #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
              #ygrp-text{
              font-family:Georgia;
              }
              #ygrp-text p{
              margin:0 0 1em 0;}
              #ygrp-tpmsgs{
              font-family:Arial;
              clear:both;}
              #ygrp-vitnav{
              #ygrp-vitnav a{
              padding:0 1px;}
              #ygrp-actbar{
              #ygrp-actbar .left{
              float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
              .bld{font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-grft{
              #ygrp-ft{
              padding:5px 0;
              }
              #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
              padding-bottom:10px;}

              #ygrp-vital{
              #ygrp-vital #vithd{
              #ygrp-vital ul{
              padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
              #ygrp-vital ul li{
              }
              #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
              #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
              font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-vital a{
              text-decoration:none;}

              #ygrp-vital a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;}

              #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
              color:#999;font-size:77%;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
              padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
              text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
              padding:8px 0;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
              text-decoration:none;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
              margin:0;}
              o{font-size:0;}
              .MsoNormal{
              margin:0 0 0 0;}
              #ygrp-text tt{
              font-size:120%;}
              blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
              .replbq{margin:4;}
              -->

            • James Benenson
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 5, 2007
                dear Webheads

                enjoyed the visit last Friday with all of you to Venice then Denmark,
                thanks Sus for arranging the guided tour!
                will there be another group visit next Monday?

                The audio interaction was new for me...(I had headphones and used the
                built in mike on my Apple portable) it's very well done... as you get
                closer to the speaker or turn in his or her direction the sound gets
                progressively louder.

                Has anyone visited schMOOze University recently? it's interesting to
                compare the two experiences!

                hope to be more active in the next months...

                james

                (jamesinparis picnic in second life)
                james.benenson on skype
                jamesingentilly on aol and ichat

                At 11:53 +0200 4/09/07, Graham Stanley wrote:
                >Hi everyone,*
                >
                >*There was a good turnout for last night's Webheads tour of Second Life, and
                >although we didn't stick to the plan and went to only the Venice and
                >Wonderful Denmark sims, I think it was quite an enlightening experience.
                >Thanks in particualr to Sus, who suggested the Wonderful Denmark sim and
                >arranged for her friends to give us a guided tour. This was the reason why
                >we didn't go anywhere else - the Wonderful Denmark sim is a fascinating
                >community and a great example of what Second Life should be - full of
                >activity and a healthy mix of education, leisure and commerce. Thanks to
                >Sus, and thanks to everyone else who turned up.
                >
                >I've written more about the tour here (including photos and chat transcript)
                >
                ><http://blog-efl.blogspot.com/2007/09/webheads-tour-1-of-second-life-real.html>http://blog-efl.blogspot.com/2007/09/webheads-tour-1-of-second-life-real.html
                >or
                ><http://tinyurl.com/3a776d>http://tinyurl.com/3a776d
                >
                >Regards,
                >
                >Graham

                +----------------------- James Benenson ----------------------------+
                | Cell phone: 33 (0)6 83 52 43 34 E-mail: benenson@... |
                | Web Page (visitors welcome): http://www.enst.fr/~benenson/ |
                | Associate Professor: Languages & Cultures Department |
                | Ecole Nationale Superieure de Telecommunications (Telecom Paris) |
                | ENG-FRA moderator: ENGLISH-FRENCH Bilingual Discussion Forum |
                | Part of the International Tandem Project: http://www.enst.fr/tandem |
              • James Benenson
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 5, 2007
                  dear Webheads (correction... sorry!)

                  enjoyed the visit last MONDAY night with all of you to Venice then Denmark,

                  <mailto:benenson%40enst.fr>benenson@... |
                  <http://www.enst.fr/~benenson/>http://www.enst.fr/~benenson/ |
                  <http://www.enst.fr/tandem>http://www.enst.fr/tandem |

                  +----------------------- James Benenson ----------------------------+
                  | Cell phone: 33 (0)6 83 52 43 34 E-mail: benenson@... |
                  | Web Page (visitors welcome): http://www.enst.fr/~benenson/ |
                  | Associate Professor: Languages & Cultures Department |
                  | Ecole Nationale Superieure de Telecommunications (Telecom Paris) |
                  | ENG-FRA moderator: ENGLISH-FRENCH Bilingual Discussion Forum |
                  | Part of the International Tandem Project: http://www.enst.fr/tandem |
                • Ilse Monch
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 5, 2007
                    Hello all!

                    I'm a little disappointed. I just bought a new laptop (HP Pavilion) with Windows Vista Home Basic and when trying to download Second Life I found that it does not currently support Windows Vista.

                    Have any of you using Windows Vista solved this problem or there's nothing to do but wait..?

                    Thanks in advance,

                    Ilse Mönch

                  • Gavin Dudeney
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 5, 2007
                      Ilse,

                      Second Life uses the OpenGL video system which is not supported in Windows
                      Vista, unfortunately. What you will need is a graphics adaptor which has
                      OpenGL support built in. These are typically ATI or nVidia cards and you can
                      get the updated drivers for Windows Vista from the graphics card
                      manufacturer’s website.

                      If you have an nVidia (GeForce Go with a part number higher than 76XX – e.g.
                      7700), for example, then you should be able to update your video drivers and
                      run SL.

                      I’ve been running SL in Vista for the past six months with nVidia GeForce Go
                      7700 with updated drivers. Not all manufacturers have released final video
                      drivers yet, and are not set to for quite some time. In many ways Vista is
                      still in beta with regards to a lot of hardware support.

                      If you let me know what video adaptor you have, I may be able to tell you
                      what your chances are. Failing that, you may downgrade to Windows XP, which
                      has OpenGL support built-in.

                      Hope that helps,

                      Gavin

                      c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain

                      Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770

                      <http://www.theconsultants-e.com/> http://www.theconsultants-e.com

                      Winners, 2007 British Council ELTON awards - <http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54>
                      http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54

                      Owners of the Second Life sims EduNation & EduNation II -
                      <http://tinyurl.com/34l8mw> http://tinyurl.com/34l8mw

                      Sponsors of the 2006 UK Moodle Conference - <http://www.moodlemoot.org/>
                      http://www.moodlemoot.org

                      CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 6, 2007
                        It has just dawned on me that this group is full of peopel I know through Secondlife! I fould this Yahoo groups and never made the connection until you had the SL tour! Even my landlord, Gavin is amongst you! I am definitely a newcomer to all the technology but learning as quickly as I can. I have many years experience in Education (consulting and training) and have finally gotten to where i wanted to be - in Instructional Technology! So I am playing catchup with technology. I am a Floridian, teaching and supporting online instruction at a Community College, transplanted from Pennsylvania and am totally addicted to SL. Since I have not had the opportunity to travel much in RL , SL is my travel area to meet new and interesting people. Sorry i missed the SL field trip and will try to keep up with the messages to watch for another. To any of you I didn't recognize as you were flying around Edunation 1 & 2, my appologies! Karen Fritch (SL: Karenspc Fride)

                      • Ilse Monch
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 6, 2007
                          Hi Gavin,

                          Thanks for the info!. I have an Intel (R) GMA 950 .
                          Name of product: Mobile Intel (R) 945 GM Express Chipset Family.

                          Graphic memory: 224MB
                          System video memory: 32MB and
                          Share memory: 192MB

                          Would be possible to update this video adaptor?

                          and thanks Graham for your understanding, I thought that the graphic memory or video card coming with this new operating system was enough for 3D videos, like SL.

                          Kind regards,
                          Ilse Mönch

                        • Gavin Dudeney
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 7, 2007
                            Ilse,

                            I’m really sorry to say, but it’s Second Life itself which is incompatible
                            with Intel mobile graphics adaptors, rather than SL on Vista. I’m afraid
                            that your laptop will never run Second Life as Linden Labs have no plans –
                            as far as I’m aware – of supporting Intel graphics cards.

                            I’m so sorry to be the bearer of the bad news.