Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Webhead Fun Meeting in Alexandria, Egypt - Vance's REPORT

  • Carla arena
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 2007
      Dear Vance and all,

      I thoroughly enjoyed reading your description of the (un)conference proving
      that technology can be tricky, but if you are supported by human power, then
      everything goes alright! I know well the feeling of the WoW moments being
      with the Webheads and now with the Webcastacademy gang!

      You made me picture a very succesful endeavor after having struggled with so
      many issues!

      It was a pity I was traveling...I´d love to be around.

      Beijos,
      Carla

    • elderbob@prodigy.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2007
        What a great tale in itself. Not only did this sound like a terrific
        workshop but it also exemplifies why an "unconference" can be such a
        powerful tool. It sounds like virtually everyone was a participant in some
        way, the subject matter of the sessions was pretty much determined by those
        who were willing to participate, and there were wonderful examples of the
        obstacles and pleasures to be encountered by getting involved. This sort of
        "Que sera, sera!" approach seems to be very productive. I would imagine
        that the attendees went home with lots of ideas on several levels and on
        several subjects. I think that beats the heck out of some dry, pre-planned,
        cut and paste speech. One of the best things that participants got to
        witness, was advanced knowledge workers working their magic. They went away
        with an understanding of how much they need to learn to make the internet a
        viable learning system. It's this sort of learning that does not usually
        come in the form of a conference session. I suspect you influenced a lot of
        people in ways that will be fruitful for years to come.

        Danged, I wish I had been there.....

        ebob

> [...]

        > technical problems with a third computer and managed to get all computers
        > running in the end and bring the unWorkshop to a close on an epiphany
        > moment.
        >
        > Later in a plenary recap session, feedback on our unWorkshop was positive,
        > with all concerned saying they had learned a lot from Webheads. The only
        > criticism was that SL appeared to be perhaps too addictive, potentially
        > could take time away from family, and of course that it would be perhaps
        > inaccessible to a majority of stakeholders the sustainable ecologies people
        > were trying to reach in places where the pinch of limited resources is being
        > felt most. Other than that the participants seemed to be quite taken with
        > the potential, and spoke of having eyes wide opened.
        >
        > Many thanks to Buthaina for her competent and timely support!

        Helping folks understand that it's never too late to become all they ever
        wanted to become.

      • Buthaina Al-Othman
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 15, 2007
          Hello All,

          First, I'd like to thank the Webheads who made it to the Webhead FUN
          FARE session, lead by Vance, for their time, and support; especially
          Jose, Sasa, Graham, Bobbie, and excuse me if I forgot names of other
          supporters. You guys were really the stars and have impressed them
          all, with the cool, neat performance of the Maestro, Vance, as always.

          The following report is my version of the story on the 3-day exciting
          Unevent, by the IUCN & CEC:

          The IUCN unevent held in Alexandria, Egypt, August 31-Spetember 1,
          2007 was one of the most exciting, cool meetings I've ever attended.
          The atmosphere inside the main room was friendly, and a real blend of
          formal and informal. The organizers, who you could meet at this
          http://tinyurl.com/2xxxo4 did a wonderful job integrating interesting
          new learning and facilitating techniques to have people, the
          presenters and audience, get closer and think together during
          discussions after or before a presentation. I really liked the
          Carousel discussion technique that was used during the closing
          session; it encouraged everyone to get involved, contributing ideas,
          getting inspired, and learning, together. This was my first time to
          participate in this kind of activity which I hope to use in future
          projects.

          Moreover, I was happy to meet people from the Arab world and to
          exchange ideas about what can be done to help improve our region. I
          was thrilled to see how a number of them were so enthusiastic and
          determined to start trying to implement some of the new ideas once
          they return to their countries.

          Furthermore, I was also glad that I had the chance to hold an
          interesting conversation during the lunch break with the translator of
          this conference, a professor of Translation at the University of
          Alexandria, who did the translation from English to Arabic. Actually,
          I was curious to learn what Arabic words she used to express some
          technical terms and names, such as Web 2.0, blogs, and wikis that were
          mentioned in some presentations. I know that the Arabic word for a
          blog is "modawina", but it was interesting to find her preferred to
          use such names or terms in Arabic as they are said in English.

          Vance gave an interesting useful presentation, amazing the audience
          when he talked about tagging and then announced the conference tag,
          IUCNALEX. And, I talked about "Blending Formal & Informal Learning
          Using New Technologies in the Workplace", which you are welcome to
          view at: http://tinyurl.com/3xmdm2

          After each session, speakers were requested to go to separate rooms
          where participants had the chance to visit each of them to ask
          questions or comment. In my room, I was joined by participants
          interested in informal learning and the discussions were focused on
          ways to integrate informal learning in the workplace, in particular.

          On day 2, Vance ran the Unworkop successfully, impressing people,
          despite of the technical difficulties, he has already reported to you
          about. The unexpected part, for me at least, was that the participants
          were so interested in SL; and the funniest comment heard during the
          discussion that followed the workshop came from an Egyptian
          participant who said that "SecondLife should be called SecondWife" in
          an indication to the time one could spend at SL. They also liked
          Elluminate and asked many questions, including licensing and pricing!

          This IUCN 3-day Workshop was an eyes wide open experience for me. It
          helped me improve my plans for my classes for this semester of Fall
          2007, which starts here on, Monday, Sept. 17, 2007; and made feel
          optimistic about things people can do virtually together in terms of
          education, learning, teaching and facilitating, in order to make it a
          better world for all.

          Finally, here is a link to some more photos tagged with iucn2007 /
          iucnalex that I'd to share with you:
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/teacherbuth_summer04/tags/iucn2007 I also
          have a video clip of Vance with other participants that I'll share
          with you once I edit/shorten so that YouTube would accept it!

          One more thing, I'd like to express gratitude for Barbara Sawhill,and
          Dave Winet for their willingness to help and for being their for me;
          Barbara and Dave, thanks for your understanding, I'm sure that the
          technical situation are clearer to you through Vance's report. Claire
          Bradin Siskin, thanks for your supporting Tweets, which made me feel
          connected through my cellphone all the way to Beirut, until I made it
          to home in Kuwait. And my final big thank you goes to our best friend
          and constant supporter, John Hibbs :) Appreciate your encouragement
          and kind words, John...

          Wishing you all the best, and Happy Ramadan to all Moslim Webhead
          colleagues...

          Cheers :)

          Buth