Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Webhead Fun Meeting in Alexandria, Egypt - Vance's REPORT

  • Graham Stanley
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2 2:21 PM
      Hi Vance & Michael,

      the Alexandria unworkshop was indeed an exhilerating experience, and after
      reading your description, Vance I have even more admiration for you and
      Buthaina than I did when I first read about what you were proposing. I got
      my times wrong at first and started the 'Where's Vance?' game that seemed to
      be a theme as you dropped in and out of the various virtual spaces - it's
      actually given me a great idea for organising a Web 2.0 'Catch me if you can
      game' that might be fun to play at the next Webheads Convergence.

      I thoroughly enjoyed talking to all the people at the workshop - the only
      inconvenience with the SL voice client being my only source of audio was
      that I had to stick really close to Webhead Link (Vance's SL avatar) or the
      proximity-based sound would drop away (as it did when we started flying) -
      it was quite a test for me too, as I tried to take people to places I
      thought might interest them, based on their questions ("Are there any
      environmental spaces in SL?", etc) without any pre-planning.

      Ultimately, this experience is what led to me deciding to start a tour (the
      first will be on Monday) of spaces, and yes, Michael, I think a tour of
      environmental spaces in SL is a great idea - there are a few more that I
      came across in the 'Search' facility on Saturday that I want to go back and
      explore too.

      Great to hear that it went down well and look forward to the next one!

      Regards,

      Graham
      Baldric Commons

      >Thanks Vance for what was an exhilarating (if at times bewildering)
      >experience. Your report helps explain why - talk about flying by the
      >seat of your pants! I'm glad to hear that your f2f audience
      >appreciated & enjoyed it - I certainly did! I am also chuffed that I
      >was able - albeit inadvertently - to play a part in creating one of
      >those 'wow! moments' [the mysterious 'Richard' in Vance's report was
      >in fact me].

      >I joined about an hour in, and managed to find you all eventually via
      >the Worldbridges Chat (? was it Wb ? ), Second Life, and Elluminate.
      >I had all 3 open side by side, and I was able to switch between them
      >at will - which was just as well because we seemed to be on a
      >perpetual "Where's Vance?" quest - now we know why!

      >I'm afraid I got into SL too late for Graham's guided tour of SL
      >environmental sites - is there any possibilty of repeating this at
      >some point, Graham? This session was also my first opportunity to use
      >Voice in SL - it affords an extra dimension which should be very
      >useful for language learning - is anyone using it yet, English
      >Village for instance?

      >After this I think I now have a better understanding of the
      >'Unworkshop' concept . . . sometimes it unworks, sometimes it doesn't
      >(?).

      >I look forward to next Saturday's EUROCALL Virtual Strand session -
      >though Vance will have to go some to match the Alexandria experience!

      >Regards to all,

      >Michael
      >SL: Misha Writer

    • Carla arena
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3 7:48 PM
        Dear Vance and all,

        I thoroughly enjoyed reading your description of the (un)conference proving
        that technology can be tricky, but if you are supported by human power, then
        everything goes alright! I know well the feeling of the WoW moments being
        with the Webheads and now with the Webcastacademy gang!

        You made me picture a very succesful endeavor after having struggled with so
        many issues!

        It was a pity I was traveling...I´d love to be around.

        Beijos,
        Carla

      • elderbob@prodigy.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4 5:09 AM
          What a great tale in itself. Not only did this sound like a terrific
          workshop but it also exemplifies why an "unconference" can be such a
          powerful tool. It sounds like virtually everyone was a participant in some
          way, the subject matter of the sessions was pretty much determined by those
          who were willing to participate, and there were wonderful examples of the
          obstacles and pleasures to be encountered by getting involved. This sort of
          "Que sera, sera!" approach seems to be very productive. I would imagine
          that the attendees went home with lots of ideas on several levels and on
          several subjects. I think that beats the heck out of some dry, pre-planned,
          cut and paste speech. One of the best things that participants got to
          witness, was advanced knowledge workers working their magic. They went away
          with an understanding of how much they need to learn to make the internet a
          viable learning system. It's this sort of learning that does not usually
          come in the form of a conference session. I suspect you influenced a lot of
          people in ways that will be fruitful for years to come.

          Danged, I wish I had been there.....

          ebob

> [...]

          > technical problems with a third computer and managed to get all computers
          > running in the end and bring the unWorkshop to a close on an epiphany
          > moment.
          >
          > Later in a plenary recap session, feedback on our unWorkshop was positive,
          > with all concerned saying they had learned a lot from Webheads. The only
          > criticism was that SL appeared to be perhaps too addictive, potentially
          > could take time away from family, and of course that it would be perhaps
          > inaccessible to a majority of stakeholders the sustainable ecologies people
          > were trying to reach in places where the pinch of limited resources is being
          > felt most. Other than that the participants seemed to be quite taken with
          > the potential, and spoke of having eyes wide opened.
          >
          > Many thanks to Buthaina for her competent and timely support!

          Helping folks understand that it's never too late to become all they ever
          wanted to become.

        • Buthaina Al-Othman
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 15 1:32 PM
            Hello All,

            First, I'd like to thank the Webheads who made it to the Webhead FUN
            FARE session, lead by Vance, for their time, and support; especially
            Jose, Sasa, Graham, Bobbie, and excuse me if I forgot names of other
            supporters. You guys were really the stars and have impressed them
            all, with the cool, neat performance of the Maestro, Vance, as always.

            The following report is my version of the story on the 3-day exciting
            Unevent, by the IUCN & CEC:

            The IUCN unevent held in Alexandria, Egypt, August 31-Spetember 1,
            2007 was one of the most exciting, cool meetings I've ever attended.
            The atmosphere inside the main room was friendly, and a real blend of
            formal and informal. The organizers, who you could meet at this
            http://tinyurl.com/2xxxo4 did a wonderful job integrating interesting
            new learning and facilitating techniques to have people, the
            presenters and audience, get closer and think together during
            discussions after or before a presentation. I really liked the
            Carousel discussion technique that was used during the closing
            session; it encouraged everyone to get involved, contributing ideas,
            getting inspired, and learning, together. This was my first time to
            participate in this kind of activity which I hope to use in future
            projects.

            Moreover, I was happy to meet people from the Arab world and to
            exchange ideas about what can be done to help improve our region. I
            was thrilled to see how a number of them were so enthusiastic and
            determined to start trying to implement some of the new ideas once
            they return to their countries.

            Furthermore, I was also glad that I had the chance to hold an
            interesting conversation during the lunch break with the translator of
            this conference, a professor of Translation at the University of
            Alexandria, who did the translation from English to Arabic. Actually,
            I was curious to learn what Arabic words she used to express some
            technical terms and names, such as Web 2.0, blogs, and wikis that were
            mentioned in some presentations. I know that the Arabic word for a
            blog is "modawina", but it was interesting to find her preferred to
            use such names or terms in Arabic as they are said in English.

            Vance gave an interesting useful presentation, amazing the audience
            when he talked about tagging and then announced the conference tag,
            IUCNALEX. And, I talked about "Blending Formal & Informal Learning
            Using New Technologies in the Workplace", which you are welcome to
            view at: http://tinyurl.com/3xmdm2

            After each session, speakers were requested to go to separate rooms
            where participants had the chance to visit each of them to ask
            questions or comment. In my room, I was joined by participants
            interested in informal learning and the discussions were focused on
            ways to integrate informal learning in the workplace, in particular.

            On day 2, Vance ran the Unworkop successfully, impressing people,
            despite of the technical difficulties, he has already reported to you
            about. The unexpected part, for me at least, was that the participants
            were so interested in SL; and the funniest comment heard during the
            discussion that followed the workshop came from an Egyptian
            participant who said that "SecondLife should be called SecondWife" in
            an indication to the time one could spend at SL. They also liked
            Elluminate and asked many questions, including licensing and pricing!

            This IUCN 3-day Workshop was an eyes wide open experience for me. It
            helped me improve my plans for my classes for this semester of Fall
            2007, which starts here on, Monday, Sept. 17, 2007; and made feel
            optimistic about things people can do virtually together in terms of
            education, learning, teaching and facilitating, in order to make it a
            better world for all.

            Finally, here is a link to some more photos tagged with iucn2007 /
            iucnalex that I'd to share with you:
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/teacherbuth_summer04/tags/iucn2007 I also
            have a video clip of Vance with other participants that I'll share
            with you once I edit/shorten so that YouTube would accept it!

            One more thing, I'd like to express gratitude for Barbara Sawhill,and
            Dave Winet for their willingness to help and for being their for me;
            Barbara and Dave, thanks for your understanding, I'm sure that the
            technical situation are clearer to you through Vance's report. Claire
            Bradin Siskin, thanks for your supporting Tweets, which made me feel
            connected through my cellphone all the way to Beirut, until I made it
            to home in Kuwait. And my final big thank you goes to our best friend
            and constant supporter, John Hibbs :) Appreciate your encouragement
            and kind words, John...

            Wishing you all the best, and Happy Ramadan to all Moslim Webhead
            colleagues...

            Cheers :)

            Buth