Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Webhead Fun Meeting in Alexandria, Egypt - Vance's REPORT

  • GLENN VANCE STEVENS
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2007
      Amazing Dedication Rita, thanks John for your kind encouraging words, and Graham you were the star of the show, taking everyone on voice tours of eco simulations in Second LIfe.  This was for a conference on environmental sustainability, so they were really putting the twos and twos together.

      I wrote a report on the way back on the plane.  I'll send out this first version so you can see what fun Buth and I had in Alexandria running this particular session.

      Today was a case of if anything can go wrong it will. The Alexandria Library is about a ten min walk from my hotel. There was no point at arriving at the conference hall too early because the rooms would all be locked until just before the start time of my session, though once I got into the center, wireless Internet would available from anywhere inside. So I left my hotel 45 min before I was due to present, carrying two laptops, wires, a USB mic, web, cam, adaptors, etc. Though the presentation room was locked when I got there, I got out my computer and booted it, and waited for someone to open the door to let me in.

      At 20 min before the start of my session, someone came around with keys, so I got into the room, plugged the laptop into the mains, the one with webcast software installed and ready to go, and discovered my first problem of the day. My a/c adaptor had not been working well, I was having to massage it over the past week to get the charge light to hold, but today it didn't want to charge at all. I worked with it for a couple of minutes, decided to leave it for a while, and started Skype to keep my appointment with Jose Rodriguez who had kindly offered to backup my stream at http://www.webcastacademy.net/listen.

      Jose was online and on task. He informed that he was streaming at that moment on Sandbox B. I was expected to take A since I'd been planning to demonstrate streaming at my unWorkshop but working with the charger required two hands and was taking valuable time. Nevertheless I managed to keep up some kind of chatter in the Skype stream, and Jose reassured me that all was well there. Meanwhile I turned on the other computer which I planned to use for Second Life. A technician arrived and helped get the projector on my webcasting laptop projecting onto the wall. I looked for Nick Noakes in Second Life but didn't see him, so I left it and went to the webcast academy chat room and texted to the people there. Sasa and someone else were listening to the stream but unable to Skype in, so no voices were joining Jose and I. With battery depleting on my laptop, I worked the charger every chance I got, trying to find the magic fit for plug in socket that would get it working. Graham
      Stanley offered me a teleport to a space called Egypt in SL. I completely forgot about Twitter.

      My battery was a quarter low when participants started showing up fifteen minutes into start time. I asked the first to arrive, Ule from Germany, to take over talking with Graham in Egypt. Only three or four others followed and I tried to explain what I was doing to them while also addressing the stream. It was clear they were most interested in SL and they came around behind that computer, while the EdTechTalk chat displayed on the big screen. There wasn't much in Egypt so Graham moved to Boracay and teleported us over. Ule passed the chat to the next person and Graham was very welcoming to each newcomer. Bobbi arrived in World and we teleported her to Boracay. Graham was by now speaking to us, voice having started working by magic in SL, and we started voice-chatting with Graham there. I moved the USB mic connected to the Worldbridges stream to the speakers of the SL computer and the F2F participants were able to talk to Graham in such a way that the conversation was
      clearly audible in the Webcastacademy stream being maintained by Jose, according to feedback from Jose.

      The SL computer now had the attention of the F2F audience so we switched the one monitor projector to that computer which was configured for hi res. This caused the projection screen to split down the middle but I didn't notice at first. I was still text chatting in the EdTechTalk chat room, working out who could and who couldn't join us in SL and trying to talk those who could to the location if they could get to SL, offer friendship, and get a teleport. This took us up to the top of the hour, 7 am GMT.

      At about that time Buth and several others arrived, and we had to explain what was going on to the newcomers. At about that time the mic on my Skype chat simply stopped working. I became aware of it when Jason kept dropping out and trying to reach me. He would call, I would answer, but he couldn't hear me. I called him, he answered, hello? Hello? And then he would ring off. I tried troubleshooting, couldn't find the problem without being able to focus on it, was trying to give the newcomers some clue of what we were doing, and prevailing on Buth to get into Skype on her laptop and tell Jose what was happening. Meanwhile the battery on my Skype computer was getting worryingly low, I still couldn't fix\the power supply, and I decided to switch it off so I could do a controlled shutdown rather than lose power and not be able to retrieve my most recent files later. This removed me from the stream and EdTechTalk text chat. Meanwhile Graham was taking the conference delegates
      around Better World, a water conservation simulation, and they were greatly interested. At one point Graham suggested they fly to another part of the island and the delegate at that moment on the keyboard held down the up button and soared into space. We didn't realize what he was doing till he was well out of earshot of Graham. He was very much enjoying the sensation of flying but I had to take control and get teleported back to where Graham was.

      Meanwhile there was a request in the F2F audience that we show them Elluminate so I decided to start it on my Second Life computer. I launched Mozilla and was surprised when I typed in the Tiny URL that an IE window was launched separately. At the same time a McAfee notice came up demanding action. This was a month-old computer and McAfee had been bundled with it free for one month. In fact, this was Bobbi's computer and she had noticed before I borrowed it for my trip that McAfee was about to expire and she had installed Avast on it but had not removed McAfee. Now McAfee was informing me that it was no longer protecting my computer and that another program (Yahoo Messenger) had wanted to visit the Internet and would I like to type in my credit card details right then in the middle of my unWorkshop. This being an unwanted distraction at that point I tried to dismiss it and close the IE window but that window froze and the browsers ceased to function. I discovered later when I
      had a chance to look at it that McAfee had basically blocked my browsers from accessing the Internet (though SL and IM chats continued to work) and only when I removed the program completely was I able to browse the Internet again. But at this moment in my presentation I went to the Task Manager and tried to find IE to kill it. It was open and frozen on my computer screen but it wasn't listed under applications running, so I switched to processes, found explorer listed there, and zapped it. This turned out to be windows explorer so I lost my task bar. At that point there was nothing to do but reboot, goodbye to Second Life. I informed the SL crowd of that. Graham had gone to breakfast by that time anyway, having taken everyone to Camp Dharfur, on our way to what I had wanted to show them: Meteora.

      We were now at the top of the second hour, and had half an hour to go in the unWorkshop. We still had Buth's computer in Skype and the Webcastacademy text chat. So while my computer was rebooting I decided to make her computer the room display from the projector, and meantime to run Elluminate from one of the 6 other computers in the room. One of the participants was talking to Jose, who was still doggedly streaming the proceedings via Worldbridges. We hooked up Buth's computer to the projector and hit the key combo that should have toggled screen modes. However we got an error at the projector, illegal resolution (not just a 'no signal') and Buth's screen display disappeared! We toggled over and over, no projector display, with Buth's screen now unusable. The participant was still chatting with Jose, Skype sound being unaffected by the problem, however we had to explain to the stream that we were going to have to go off the air for yet another reboot.

      With 15 minutes left in our presentation our face to face participants had nothing to see except as they were milling about behind us watching us try to recover. When my computer came back on I adjusted screen resolution down so that it now synched with the projector and no longer gave a split screen and I returned to SL. Richard was there, having found us via the Worldbridges stream. His voice in SL was working well but he was hearing his echo because I had no headphone on my SL computer, so I decided to plug in the USB mic there because there is an on-off switch on it which would allow us to mute our mic while he was talking. This new computer had the new Vista, and of course Microsoft in its wisdom has changed the interfaces for configuring sound from the familiar XP way, so I was having to figure out how to get at my mic controls and disable the onboard one and configure my computer to accept the USB one. This took another pregnant couple of minutes but meanwhile Buth had
      restored our presence in the Skype event and in the EdTechTalk text chat, and technicians were working on getting the third computer into Elluminate and projecting that onto the screen. They left when that was done but we discovered that whereas we could now text chat in Elluminate we could neither hear nor speak there. We had Elluminate on our overhead projector, text only, we were in the Skype stream, and we were talking to Richard in Second Life at Camp Dharfur, and to Graham who had by then returned.

      We were at the end of our allotted time but the master of ceremonies for the plenary coming up in Alexandria was with us and enjoying the show, the technicians had by then returned and got us speaking in Elluminate, and we could hear what was being said, she was the one who had requested that demo, and she was in no hurry to make us stop. So, something interesting happened.

      We were talking to Graham and Richard in Second Life and to Jose and Moira and Sasa in Elluminate (Hala had just left). Graham was in no space other than SL, and as these were separate spaces, I was going to my SL mic to talk to him and to the Elluminate computer to talk to the others. But Richard noted that when I spoke in Elluminate, he could hear what I said on his computer. It clicked that Jose was streaming Elluminate into the Webcast and Richard was hearing that. So I could talk to Richard as well as everyone else in Elluminate and he could respond in SL voice. It occurred to me then to include Graham in the conversation by talking into the USB and Elluminate mics at the same time. This caused Richard to hear my SL chat and then get the delayed rendition in the stream so he had to turn that off, but we had successfully patched a conversation in SL into one going on in Elluminate, and for those in the unWorkshop it was one of those WoW moments.

      I'm not quite sure how we got there. In the past three hours we had had almost every conceivable meltdown. Starting with equipment failure, power adaptor failing to function relegating the prime presentation laptop to limited use, we had moved to browser crash brought on by McAfee malware, that sort of design being the reason I had declined to purchase the program in the first place, and subsequent reboot. We had lost Buth's display at about the same time, and had been working with split screen projection up to then where my computer video signal was incompatible with the projector resolution (easily resolvable, but when you are juggling so many balls that some are bouncing on the floor, what would be more obvious at a calmer moment remains ellusive). With two computers down we had fought through technical problems with a third computer and managed to get all computers running in the end and bring the unWorkshop to a close on an epiphany moment.

      Later in a plenary recap session, feedback on our unWorkshop was positive, with all concerned saying they had learned a lot from Webheads. The only criticism was that SL appeared to be perhaps too addictive, potentially could take time away from family, and of course that it would be perhaps inaccessible to a majority of stakeholders the sustainable ecologies people were trying to reach in places where the pinch of limited resources is being felt most. Other than that the participants seemed to be quite taken with the potential, and spoke of having eyes wide opened.

      Many thanks to Buthaina for her competent and timely support!

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2007
        Thanks Vance for what was an exhilarating (if at times bewildering)
        experience. Your report helps explain why - talk about flying by the
        seat of your pants! I'm glad to hear that your f2f audience
        appreciated & enjoyed it - I certainly did! I am also chuffed that I
        was able - albeit inadvertently - to play a part in creating one of
        those 'wow! moments' [the mysterious 'Richard' in Vance's report was
        in fact me].

        I joined about an hour in, and managed to find you all eventually via
        the Worldbridges Chat (? was it Wb ? ), Second Life, and Elluminate.
        I had all 3 open side by side, and I was able to switch between them
        at will - which was just as well because we seemed to be on a
        perpetual "Where's Vance?" quest - now we know why!

        I'm afraid I got into SL too late for Graham's guided tour of SL
        environmental sites - is there any possibilty of repeating this at
        some point, Graham? This session was also my first opportunity to use
        Voice in SL - it affords an extra dimension which should be very
        useful for language learning - is anyone using it yet, English
        Village for instance?

        After this I think I now have a better understanding of the
        'Unworkshop' concept . . . sometimes it unworks, sometimes it doesn't
        (?).

        I look forward to next Saturday's EUROCALL Virtual Strand session -
        though Vance will have to go some to match the Alexandria experience!

        Regards to all,

        Michael
        SL: Misha Writer
        --------------------
        Michael Shade
        michael@...
        http://www.michalska.net
        http://blog.michalska.net/
        http://sanmiguelbajo.pbwiki.com/

      • Graham Stanley
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2007
          Hi Vance & Michael,

          the Alexandria unworkshop was indeed an exhilerating experience, and after
          reading your description, Vance I have even more admiration for you and
          Buthaina than I did when I first read about what you were proposing. I got
          my times wrong at first and started the 'Where's Vance?' game that seemed to
          be a theme as you dropped in and out of the various virtual spaces - it's
          actually given me a great idea for organising a Web 2.0 'Catch me if you can
          game' that might be fun to play at the next Webheads Convergence.

          I thoroughly enjoyed talking to all the people at the workshop - the only
          inconvenience with the SL voice client being my only source of audio was
          that I had to stick really close to Webhead Link (Vance's SL avatar) or the
          proximity-based sound would drop away (as it did when we started flying) -
          it was quite a test for me too, as I tried to take people to places I
          thought might interest them, based on their questions ("Are there any
          environmental spaces in SL?", etc) without any pre-planning.

          Ultimately, this experience is what led to me deciding to start a tour (the
          first will be on Monday) of spaces, and yes, Michael, I think a tour of
          environmental spaces in SL is a great idea - there are a few more that I
          came across in the 'Search' facility on Saturday that I want to go back and
          explore too.

          Great to hear that it went down well and look forward to the next one!

          Regards,

          Graham
          Baldric Commons

          >Thanks Vance for what was an exhilarating (if at times bewildering)
          >experience. Your report helps explain why - talk about flying by the
          >seat of your pants! I'm glad to hear that your f2f audience
          >appreciated & enjoyed it - I certainly did! I am also chuffed that I
          >was able - albeit inadvertently - to play a part in creating one of
          >those 'wow! moments' [the mysterious 'Richard' in Vance's report was
          >in fact me].

          >I joined about an hour in, and managed to find you all eventually via
          >the Worldbridges Chat (? was it Wb ? ), Second Life, and Elluminate.
          >I had all 3 open side by side, and I was able to switch between them
          >at will - which was just as well because we seemed to be on a
          >perpetual "Where's Vance?" quest - now we know why!

          >I'm afraid I got into SL too late for Graham's guided tour of SL
          >environmental sites - is there any possibilty of repeating this at
          >some point, Graham? This session was also my first opportunity to use
          >Voice in SL - it affords an extra dimension which should be very
          >useful for language learning - is anyone using it yet, English
          >Village for instance?

          >After this I think I now have a better understanding of the
          >'Unworkshop' concept . . . sometimes it unworks, sometimes it doesn't
          >(?).

          >I look forward to next Saturday's EUROCALL Virtual Strand session -
          >though Vance will have to go some to match the Alexandria experience!

          >Regards to all,

          >Michael
          >SL: Misha Writer

        • Carla arena
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 3, 2007
            Dear Vance and all,

            I thoroughly enjoyed reading your description of the (un)conference proving
            that technology can be tricky, but if you are supported by human power, then
            everything goes alright! I know well the feeling of the WoW moments being
            with the Webheads and now with the Webcastacademy gang!

            You made me picture a very succesful endeavor after having struggled with so
            many issues!

            It was a pity I was traveling...I´d love to be around.

            Beijos,
            Carla

          • elderbob@prodigy.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 4, 2007
              What a great tale in itself. Not only did this sound like a terrific
              workshop but it also exemplifies why an "unconference" can be such a
              powerful tool. It sounds like virtually everyone was a participant in some
              way, the subject matter of the sessions was pretty much determined by those
              who were willing to participate, and there were wonderful examples of the
              obstacles and pleasures to be encountered by getting involved. This sort of
              "Que sera, sera!" approach seems to be very productive. I would imagine
              that the attendees went home with lots of ideas on several levels and on
              several subjects. I think that beats the heck out of some dry, pre-planned,
              cut and paste speech. One of the best things that participants got to
              witness, was advanced knowledge workers working their magic. They went away
              with an understanding of how much they need to learn to make the internet a
              viable learning system. It's this sort of learning that does not usually
              come in the form of a conference session. I suspect you influenced a lot of
              people in ways that will be fruitful for years to come.

              Danged, I wish I had been there.....

              ebob

> [...]

              > technical problems with a third computer and managed to get all computers
              > running in the end and bring the unWorkshop to a close on an epiphany
              > moment.
              >
              > Later in a plenary recap session, feedback on our unWorkshop was positive,
              > with all concerned saying they had learned a lot from Webheads. The only
              > criticism was that SL appeared to be perhaps too addictive, potentially
              > could take time away from family, and of course that it would be perhaps
              > inaccessible to a majority of stakeholders the sustainable ecologies people
              > were trying to reach in places where the pinch of limited resources is being
              > felt most. Other than that the participants seemed to be quite taken with
              > the potential, and spoke of having eyes wide opened.
              >
              > Many thanks to Buthaina for her competent and timely support!

              Helping folks understand that it's never too late to become all they ever
              wanted to become.

            • Buthaina Al-Othman
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 15, 2007
                Hello All,

                First, I'd like to thank the Webheads who made it to the Webhead FUN
                FARE session, lead by Vance, for their time, and support; especially
                Jose, Sasa, Graham, Bobbie, and excuse me if I forgot names of other
                supporters. You guys were really the stars and have impressed them
                all, with the cool, neat performance of the Maestro, Vance, as always.

                The following report is my version of the story on the 3-day exciting
                Unevent, by the IUCN & CEC:

                The IUCN unevent held in Alexandria, Egypt, August 31-Spetember 1,
                2007 was one of the most exciting, cool meetings I've ever attended.
                The atmosphere inside the main room was friendly, and a real blend of
                formal and informal. The organizers, who you could meet at this
                http://tinyurl.com/2xxxo4 did a wonderful job integrating interesting
                new learning and facilitating techniques to have people, the
                presenters and audience, get closer and think together during
                discussions after or before a presentation. I really liked the
                Carousel discussion technique that was used during the closing
                session; it encouraged everyone to get involved, contributing ideas,
                getting inspired, and learning, together. This was my first time to
                participate in this kind of activity which I hope to use in future
                projects.

                Moreover, I was happy to meet people from the Arab world and to
                exchange ideas about what can be done to help improve our region. I
                was thrilled to see how a number of them were so enthusiastic and
                determined to start trying to implement some of the new ideas once
                they return to their countries.

                Furthermore, I was also glad that I had the chance to hold an
                interesting conversation during the lunch break with the translator of
                this conference, a professor of Translation at the University of
                Alexandria, who did the translation from English to Arabic. Actually,
                I was curious to learn what Arabic words she used to express some
                technical terms and names, such as Web 2.0, blogs, and wikis that were
                mentioned in some presentations. I know that the Arabic word for a
                blog is "modawina", but it was interesting to find her preferred to
                use such names or terms in Arabic as they are said in English.

                Vance gave an interesting useful presentation, amazing the audience
                when he talked about tagging and then announced the conference tag,
                IUCNALEX. And, I talked about "Blending Formal & Informal Learning
                Using New Technologies in the Workplace", which you are welcome to
                view at: http://tinyurl.com/3xmdm2

                After each session, speakers were requested to go to separate rooms
                where participants had the chance to visit each of them to ask
                questions or comment. In my room, I was joined by participants
                interested in informal learning and the discussions were focused on
                ways to integrate informal learning in the workplace, in particular.

                On day 2, Vance ran the Unworkop successfully, impressing people,
                despite of the technical difficulties, he has already reported to you
                about. The unexpected part, for me at least, was that the participants
                were so interested in SL; and the funniest comment heard during the
                discussion that followed the workshop came from an Egyptian
                participant who said that "SecondLife should be called SecondWife" in
                an indication to the time one could spend at SL. They also liked
                Elluminate and asked many questions, including licensing and pricing!

                This IUCN 3-day Workshop was an eyes wide open experience for me. It
                helped me improve my plans for my classes for this semester of Fall
                2007, which starts here on, Monday, Sept. 17, 2007; and made feel
                optimistic about things people can do virtually together in terms of
                education, learning, teaching and facilitating, in order to make it a
                better world for all.

                Finally, here is a link to some more photos tagged with iucn2007 /
                iucnalex that I'd to share with you:
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/teacherbuth_summer04/tags/iucn2007 I also
                have a video clip of Vance with other participants that I'll share
                with you once I edit/shorten so that YouTube would accept it!

                One more thing, I'd like to express gratitude for Barbara Sawhill,and
                Dave Winet for their willingness to help and for being their for me;
                Barbara and Dave, thanks for your understanding, I'm sure that the
                technical situation are clearer to you through Vance's report. Claire
                Bradin Siskin, thanks for your supporting Tweets, which made me feel
                connected through my cellphone all the way to Beirut, until I made it
                to home in Kuwait. And my final big thank you goes to our best friend
                and constant supporter, John Hibbs :) Appreciate your encouragement
                and kind words, John...

                Wishing you all the best, and Happy Ramadan to all Moslim Webhead
                colleagues...

                Cheers :)

                Buth