Skip to search.

What is the effect of technology on SLA?

  • Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 6, 2007
      Hi all--
      I am preparing a talk for the CALL-IS Academic Session next year at
      TESOL 2008 in NYC. The question I am considering is "What is the
      effect of technology on what we know about second language acquisition
      (SLA)?"

      Have we learned anything more about how people learn/acquire languages
      because of technology?

      Has technology made SLA easier?

      I'd love to hear your opinions on or off list, and would like to quote
      you. I also have put the question in my blog, where you can answer as
      a comment:
      <http://ehansonsmith.blogspot.com/>

      Thanks--
      Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
    • c chee
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 6, 2007
        contact yaodong chen in china, he has had over 200 students that have bought in on his training.

        Elizabeth Hanson-Smith <ehansonsmi@...> wrote: Hi all--
        I am preparing a talk for the CALL-IS Academic Session next year at
        TESOL 2008 in NYC. The question I am considering is "What is the
        effect of technology on what we know about second language acquisition
        (SLA)?"

        Have we learned anything more about how people learn/acquire languages
        because of technology?

        Has technology made SLA easier?

        I'd love to hear your opinions on or off list, and would like to quote
        you. I also have put the question in my blog, where you can answer as
        a comment:
        <http://ehansonsmith.blogspot.com/>

        Thanks--
        Elizabeth Hanson-Smith

        Listen to the quiet thunder and remember.
        Peace starts with communication.

        Chee, 713 988 4111 www.realteachers.org www.voicelearning.com
        email: bchee@...

      • YD Chen
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 6, 2007
          Hi,

          Examples of my students' and colleagues' utilizing technology in the web-based classes are found on the links below:

          1. http://www.jacksonschool.org/webcasts/chinese/ ( Rosemary and Lorraine on some basic Chinese )
          2. http://www.jacksonschool.org/webcasts/Zubing_Rosemary ( three teachers co-teach circle song)
          3.http://www.jacksonschool.org/webcasts/Liuzhou_Meeting ( Skipper Rich Wilson with yaodong's e-class)
          4. http://www.jacksonschool.org/webcasts/Liuzhou_MS (Michael from Corlorado in USA with yaodong's e-clalss)
          5.http://www.jacksonschool.org/webcasts/China_US_Meeting/ ( Yaodong 's mini-lecture online about Chinese dynasties, with teachers from 5 different places in the world---candy from San Diego,Jo from Xingcheng,China ,sarah from Lu zhai,China,Lorraine from Boston with her students)
          6. http://www.jacksonschool.org/webcasts/amure/ ( teachers from US,Russia,Taipei in Taiwan and Liuzhou in China)
          7. http://www.jacksonschool.org/webcasts/STONE2/Stone/ (Yaodong's mini-lecture on Liuzhou's stone art with Lorraine's assistance from Boston)

          Let me know if you need more.
          Regards,
          Yaodong

            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 10, 2007
              Thanks, Yaodong--
              I will hang onto those examples to use later.

              But my question is really more theoretical--what have we learned about
              SLA (or second language learning, as I prefer to think of it), and has
              technology changed what we know about it?

              Cheers--
              --Elizabeth