Video interview. Which program?

  • Dennis Newson
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 29, 2007
      Dear friends,

      Two of us (webheads) want to do a videoed interview of one of us, to be
      recorded and accessible from a blog.

      Which platform/program would you recommend?

      Dennis of Os

      Dennis Newson (retired)
      University of Osnabrück
      GERMANY
      Webhead,
      Discussion Moderator IATEFL YL SIG
      Moderator of a number of other TEFL e-lists

    • Barbara Dieu
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 29, 2007
        Hi Dennis,
        Check Splashcast Media
        SplashCast enables anyone to create streaming media 'channels' that
        combine video, music, photos, narration, text and RSS feeds.
        http://www.splashcastmedia.com/

        WArm regards,
        Bee

        --
        Barbara Dieu
        http://dekita.org
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 29, 2007
          Bee,

          Thanks very much for that. We'll try it out.

          Dennis

        • Michael Marzio
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 29, 2007
            Hi Dennis,

            Although it's not a blog, you can't beat the wide world of Youtube.
            Although your uploaded video will seem lost in the billions of videos
            available there, you will probably also be surprised by the number of
            seen as Google is in getting your own site referenced, but it has the
            most possibilities from all points of view (age, interests, of
            viewers ets.)

            If not, I would go the Blogger route.

            Mike Marzio

            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Newson"

            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 29, 2007
              Mike,

              Thanks for mentioning UTube, as a matter fact I have used it once and, as
              you suggest, received a surprising number of hits.

              For my UTube premiere I used Microsoft's free Film Maker (I hope that's the
              name) and perhaps that is the best way to make an interview. That's the bit
              of the process I'm most concerned about at the moment - which program is
              best for doing an interview, when the interviewer and interviewee are (only)
              connected over the Internet?.

              Dennis

            • Aiden Yeh
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 29, 2007
                To post videos on my blog, I use http://blip.tv/ Uploading is fast and easy. Streaming is also smooth. Uploaded files are converted in flash format, but you can always switch formats to mp4/wmv.

                You may want to give it a try.

                Aiden

                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 29, 2007
                  Thanks, Aiden, and others who have replied. When we have done our interview,
                  I'll report back.

                  Dennis of Os

                • violeta.cautin
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 29, 2007
                    Dennis,
                    Please do report back! I'm mostly a lurker in this community, but I
                    always learn from your conversations.
                    I am interested in this topic because I really liked the idea of
                    interviews online that could be embedded in blogs.
                    I would also like to know what kind of internet connection is required
                    for this.
                    Thanks,

                    Violeta

                    <djn@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks, Aiden, and others who have replied. When we have done our
                    interview,
                    > I'll report back.
                    >

                    > Dennis of Os

                  • Dennis Newson
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 29, 2007
                      Violeta,

                      Illya and I will certainly keep the list informed.

                      Best wishes,

                      Dennis

                    • Graham Stanley
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 30, 2007
                        Hi Dennis,

                        although Youtube is great, I think you're better off uploading the video you
                        make to Teachertube (http://www.teachertube.com), where you'll reach a more
                        responsive audience for an educational video. You can also embed the video
                        in your blog.

                        As an example: I uploaded my 'Web 2.0 & Language Learning' video to several
                        different sites. Here are the stats from them:

                        Site / Hits / Comments
                        Youtube / 1056 / 2
                        Teachertube / 7308 / 8
                        Blip.tv / 48 /0

                        Of course, you could also upload your interview it to several different
                        sites too

                        Graham

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 30, 2007
                          Grham

                          Thanks for reminding me of Teachertube. What I'm not yet clear about is what
                          best to use to do a distance video interview, one of us in Switzerland, the
                          other in Germany.

                          Dennis

                        • Elderbob
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 30, 2007
                            It seems to me that we have put the horse before the cart. Originally, I
                            wondered if you already had the video or not....that has not been clear from
                            the conversation. And if not (say you are still in the planning stage),
                            then why record only one side of the video...is it not possible to get the
                            interviewer and the interviewee on video? Have you already saved the
                            video? What format is it in now?

                            All the suggestions have been good, and they, indeed, show the wide variety
                            of choices we are confronted with. There are probably a dozen different
                            ways to do this....part of what you select will eventually use will be a
                            matter of personal preference and consideration of the ability of your
                            viewers to see what you have posted.

                            A final thought. What ever service you use to do the posting of the video,
                            almost all of the major video repositories, will lend themselves to
                            embedding. I am not sure that was clear from the previous post. I think I
                            have used nearly all of them, and frankly, getting them on a blog or a
                            webspace has more to do with knowing the code to write than the actually
                            platform where you plan to put it.

                            elderbob
                            On 6/30/07, Dennis Newson <djn@...> wrote:

                            > Grham
                            >
                            > Thanks for reminding me of Teachertube. What I'm not yet clear about is
                            > what
                            > best to use to do a distance video interview, one of us in Switzerland,
                            > the
                            > other in Germany.
                            >
                            > Dennis

                            Helping folks understand that it's never too late to become all they ever
                            wanted to become.

                          • Dennis Newson
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 30, 2007
                              Thanks Elderbob,

                              I fear my original question was not clear. What I am asking is:

                              How can someone sitting in Switzerland do a video interview with me? (Of
                              course we want to record it and put the product somewhere - probably into a
                              blog.)

                              Dennis of Os

                              P.S. The fact that a couple of people have written asking me to report on
                              our success encourages me to write this clarification.

                            • violeta.cautin
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 30, 2007
                                Hi,
                                I understand that what is missing is a program similar to a "walkie
                                talkie online", but with video instead of just voice. And with the
                                option of recording the conversation.
                                Regards, V
                              • Dafne
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 30, 2007
                                  Dear Dennis,

                                  I think you can use Audacity. With this program you
                                  can edit the recordings and save them as MP3. You can
                                  also use Skype and record the conversation using Hot
                                  Recorder http://www.hotrecorder.com/ and I know there
                                  is another one, but I cannot recall the name at the
                                  moment.

                                  Hope this helps.

                                  Daf

                                  --- Dennis Newson <djn@...> wrote:

                                  > Thanks Elderbob,
                                  >
                                  > I fear my original question was not clear. What I am
                                  > asking is:
                                  >
                                  > How can someone sitting in Switzerland do a video
                                  > interview with me? (Of
                                  > course we want to record it and put the product
                                  > somewhere - probably into a
                                  > blog.)
                                  >

                                  > Dennis of Os
                                  >
                                  > P.S. The fact that a couple of people have written
                                  > asking me to report on
                                  > our success encourages me to write this
                                  > clarification.

                                  > removed]

                                • Dafne
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 30, 2007
                                    Sorry Dennis, I forgot you want a video interview :-(

                                    You can use Skype and record with Camtasia. There is a
                                    30-day free trial for this application. The Camtasia
                                    video can be uploaded to YouTube, TeacherTube, or the
                                    ones suggested by Aiden or Bee

                                    Daf

                                    --- Dennis Newson <djn@...> wrote:

                                    > Thanks Elderbob,
                                    >
                                    > I fear my original question was not clear. What I am
                                    > asking is:
                                    >
                                    > How can someone sitting in Switzerland do a video
                                    > interview with me? (Of
                                    > course we want to record it and put the product
                                    > somewhere - probably into a
                                    > blog.)
                                    >

                                    > Dennis of Os
                                    >
                                    > P.S. The fact that a couple of people have written
                                    > asking me to report on
                                    > our success encourages me to write this
                                    > clarification.

                                    > removed]

                                    Got a little couch potato?
                                  • Elderbob
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jun 30, 2007
                                      My preference would be to do it in Skype Via Pamela, but I have the
                                      purchased version of Pamela, so I am not sure you can do it with the free
                                      version. However, I think if you use Skype you should be able to save the
                                      raw video file somewhere and edit it as you wish. This would also enable
                                      you to edit both interviewer and interviewee together, before you upload it
                                      somewhere.

                                      elderbob

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jun 30, 2007
                                        Violeta and Daf,

                                        Skype plus Camtasia. That makes sense. Thanks

                                        Dennis

                                      • Andreas Busing
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jun 30, 2007
                                          Hi,

                                          I would use Skype as well and the freeware CamStudio.

                                          < http://www.chip.de/downloads/c1_downloads_19900258.html>

                                          1. Start a Skype conference with your partner and a "quite 3rd person".

                                          2a. If you are working on broadband, you could use your laptop or your
                                          wife's PC to take part as a "quite conference partner" on this PC you could
                                          run CamStudio and record the session as an avi or swf file which you can
                                          edit later.
                                          2b. If your bandwidth is not big enough ask a 3rd person to take part and do
                                          the recording.

                                          This "quiet partner" solution is necessary with the use of CamStudio because
                                          you need to decide upfront if you like to record your microphone or your
                                          speakers. The quite partner can record the speakers with both your voices.

                                          It sounds difficult but is dead easy.

                                          To publish your stuff I suggest < http://www.viddler.com
                                          <http://www.viddler.com/> > or < http://www.blogr.com/> like all the other
                                          services they provide you with embed codes for your blog or webpage.

                                          Hope it helps

                                          Best wishes

                                          Andreas

                                          Phone: 01801-63384604568

                                          Fax: 01805-0068648058

                                          Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but
                                          you have ceased to live.

                                          -- Mark Twain

                                          -end of message-

                                          On 6/30/07, Dafne <dygonza@yahoo. <mailto:dygonza%40yahoo.com> com> wrote:

                                          > Sorry Dennis, I forgot you want a video interview :-(
                                          >
                                          > You can use Skype and record with Camtasia. There is a
                                          > 30-day free trial for this application. The Camtasia
                                          > video can be uploaded to YouTube, TeacherTube, or the
                                          > ones suggested by Aiden or Bee
                                          >
                                          > Daf
                                          >
                                          > --- Dennis Newson <djn@dennisnewson. <mailto:djn%40dennisnewson.de> de
                                          <djn%40dennisnewson.de>> wrote:

                                          > > Thanks Elderbob,
                                          > >
                                          > > I fear my original question was not clear. What I am
                                          > > asking is:
                                          > >
                                          > > How can someone sitting in Switzerland do a video
                                          > > interview with me? (Of
                                          > > course we want to record it and put the product
                                          > > somewhere - probably into a
                                          > > blog.)
                                          > >

                                          > > Dennis of Os
                                          > >
                                          > > P.S. The fact that a couple of people have written
                                          > > asking me to report on
                                          > > our success encourages me to write this
                                          > > clarification.

                                        • Graham Stanley
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jun 30, 2007
                                            Hi Dennis,

                                            You could try out Operator 11 for conducting the interview, using webcams :

                                            http://operator11.com/

                                            If you do, you could even have a live audience for the interview too, and
                                            you can embed the video into a blog later too

                                            Graham

                                          • Dennis Newson
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jun 30, 2007
                                              Graham,

                                              Thanks. Have started playing with Operator 11 aleady.

                                              Dennis

                                            • Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jul 6, 2007
                                                Hi all--
                                                I am preparing a talk for the CALL-IS Academic Session next year at
                                                TESOL 2008 in NYC. The question I am considering is "What is the
                                                effect of technology on what we know about second language acquisition
                                                (SLA)?"

                                                Have we learned anything more about how people learn/acquire languages
                                                because of technology?

                                                Has technology made SLA easier?

                                                I'd love to hear your opinions on or off list, and would like to quote
                                                you. I also have put the question in my blog, where you can answer as
                                                a comment:
                                                <http://ehansonsmith.blogspot.com/>

                                                Thanks--
                                                Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
                                              • c chee
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jul 6, 2007
                                                  contact yaodong chen in china, he has had over 200 students that have bought in on his training.

                                                  Elizabeth Hanson-Smith <ehansonsmi@...> wrote: Hi all--
                                                  I am preparing a talk for the CALL-IS Academic Session next year at
                                                  TESOL 2008 in NYC. The question I am considering is "What is the
                                                  effect of technology on what we know about second language acquisition
                                                  (SLA)?"

                                                  Have we learned anything more about how people learn/acquire languages
                                                  because of technology?

                                                  Has technology made SLA easier?

                                                  I'd love to hear your opinions on or off list, and would like to quote
                                                  you. I also have put the question in my blog, where you can answer as
                                                  a comment:
                                                  <http://ehansonsmith.blogspot.com/>

                                                  Thanks--
                                                  Elizabeth Hanson-Smith

                                                  Listen to the quiet thunder and remember.
                                                  Peace starts with communication.

                                                  Chee, 713 988 4111 www.realteachers.org www.voicelearning.com
                                                  email: bchee@...

                                                • YD Chen
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jul 6, 2007
                                                    Hi,

                                                    Examples of my students' and colleagues' utilizing technology in the web-based classes are found on the links below:

                                                    1. http://www.jacksonschool.org/webcasts/chinese/ ( Rosemary and Lorraine on some basic Chinese )
                                                    2. http://www.jacksonschool.org/webcasts/Zubing_Rosemary ( three teachers co-teach circle song)
                                                    3.http://www.jacksonschool.org/webcasts/Liuzhou_Meeting ( Skipper Rich Wilson with yaodong's e-class)
                                                    4. http://www.jacksonschool.org/webcasts/Liuzhou_MS (Michael from Corlorado in USA with yaodong's e-clalss)
                                                    5.http://www.jacksonschool.org/webcasts/China_US_Meeting/ ( Yaodong 's mini-lecture online about Chinese dynasties, with teachers from 5 different places in the world---candy from San Diego,Jo from Xingcheng,China ,sarah from Lu zhai,China,Lorraine from Boston with her students)
                                                    6. http://www.jacksonschool.org/webcasts/amure/ ( teachers from US,Russia,Taipei in Taiwan and Liuzhou in China)
                                                    7. http://www.jacksonschool.org/webcasts/STONE2/Stone/ (Yaodong's mini-lecture on Liuzhou's stone art with Lorraine's assistance from Boston)

                                                    Let me know if you need more.
                                                    Regards,
                                                    Yaodong

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Jul 10, 2007
                                                        Thanks, Yaodong--
                                                        I will hang onto those examples to use later.

                                                        But my question is really more theoretical--what have we learned about
                                                        SLA (or second language learning, as I prefer to think of it), and has
                                                        technology changed what we know about it?

                                                        Cheers--
                                                        --Elizabeth