Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Calling Chris Johnson or other CoP Experts!

  • Michael Coghlan
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 2, 2007
      At 01:02 AM 6/3/2007, you wrote:

      >This one?
      ><http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/tesol/baltimore2003/cop200x300.jpg>http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/tesol/baltimore2003/cop200x300.jpg
      >http://www.homestead.com/prosites-vstevens/files/efi/papers/cairo2004/plenary/05cop.gif

      Yes Bee, that's the one. Thanks. But the original image version was
      clickable and took you further into each section....it was a small
      website in effect.

      - Michael

      >Warm regards,
      >Bee
      >
      >--
      >Barbara Dieu
      ><http://dekita.org>http://dekita.org
      >http://beewebhead.net

    • Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 4, 2007
        Dan--
        I think
        <http://www.Gliffy.com>
        is excellent for creating mind maps--it's free and online.
        However, I don't know of anyone who has done such a map for solving
        problems in their community.
        Seems to me this would be a neat brainstorming activity: youths could
        sit in a group at the computer, list the activities they are thinking
        of and then create a Gliffy map to show how the different activities
        relate to each other and their goals.
        --Elizabeth

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Dan Bassill

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 4, 2007
          Hi,

          It was interesting to me to see another concept mapping tool (the one from
          West Florida U) in addition to Gliffy, and also see a concept map of Dan's
          Tutor/Mentor Learning Network. However, it was most interesting to me to
          see that this post was about concept mapping, because when I read it without
          exploring the links, I assumed it was about Google mapping etc. e.g.
          "research and map
          strategies that would help them solve problems in their community"

          There has been a lot of discussion of mapping projects of that nature on the
          worldbridges network. Specific examples escape me at the moment (perhaps
          webheads can fill in here) but when I am looking for such information I
          generally make a Google search on my topic in conjunction with
          'worldbridges' or 'edtechtalk' or 'teachers teaching teacher' in case I know
          the program I am looking for.

          It seems to me that the two, concept mapping plus physical mapping tools to
          help users understand what is happening on the ground, would be powerful in
          the hands of young learners, and that one tool would augment the other.

          Vance

          Indeed the post could be about just that,
          > is excellent for creating mind maps--it's free and online.
          > However, I don't know of anyone who has done such a map for solving
          > problems in their community.
          > Seems to me this would be a neat brainstorming activity: youths could
          > sit in a group at the computer, list the activities they are thinking
          > of and then create a Gliffy map to show how the different activities
          > relate to each other and their goals.
          > --Elizabeth
          >
          > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Dan Bassill
          > <tutormentor2@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> I'm doing some concept mapping using a free service that can be found at
          >> http://cmap.ihmc.us/
          >>
          >> Here's a link to one of my strategy maps: http://tinyurl.com/23aa9w
          >>
          >> I think a learning activity for youth might be to research and map
          >> strategies that would help them solve problems in their community,
          > or map
          >> our their own strategies for learning and making a difference in the
          > world.
          >>
          >> I'm sure this is probably taking place somewhere. Can anyone point
          > to web
          >> sites that demonstrate this?
          >>
          >> Dan Bassill
          >> Tutor/Mentor Connection
          >>

          > For more information:

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Andreas Büsing
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 4, 2007
            Hi,

            Here are a few other applications to create mind maps / concept maps.

            < http://www.mindomo.com/>

            < http://www.mindmeister.com/>

            < http://www.bubbl.us/>

            < http://thinkature.com/>

            If you try them, let us know what you think about them.

            Just sharing … because it is caring!

            Best wishes

            Andreas

            Phone: 01801-63384604568

            Fax: 01805-0068648058

            I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.

            -- Mark Twain

            -end of message-

            _____

            is excellent for creating mind maps--it's free and online.
            However, I don't know of anyone who has done such a map for solving
            problems in their community.
            Seems to me this would be a neat brainstorming activity: youths could
            sit in a group at the computer, list the activities they are thinking
            of and then create a Gliffy map to show how the different activities
            relate to each other and their goals.
            --Elizabeth

            --- In evonline2002_ <mailto:evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>

            <http://tinyurl.com/23aa9w> com/23aa9w

            > I think a learning activity for youth might be to research and map
            > strategies that would help them solve problems in their community,
            or map
            > our their own strategies for learning and making a difference in the
            world.

            > I'm sure this is probably taking place somewhere. Can anyone point
            to web
            > sites that demonstrate this?
            >
            > Dan Bassill
            > Tutor/Mentor Connection

          • Fernanda Rodrigues
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
              FreeMind as well

              http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

              Fernanda

            • tutormentor2@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
                I've combined real maps, created with Geographic Information Systems, (see
                http://
                www.tutormentorprogramlocator.net/programlocator/default.asp) and concept
                maps such as I sent
                previously, in an effort to help people visualize all of the places in a
                city, state or country where the
                same problem persists, and the same type of solution might help solve the
                problem. A GIS create
                map enables you to look at layers of information and zoom into specific
                locations, while a concept
                map works like a blueprint, to help a group understand all of the actions
                needed at specific times,
                and in specific ways, if the goal of the group is to be achieved.

                In our media driven public policy very few people are thinking spatially
                about all of the places where
                resoruces are needed to solve a problem, or all of the years it takes for
                many people working
                together to solve a problem in a single place, let alone all of the places
                on the map where the
                problem persists.

                I've been interested in the concept of web quests and elearning because
                these seem to be tools that
                leaders could use to help youth AND adults sort through all of this
                information. Until you begin to
                understand the problem, and the range of possible solutions, it's difficult
                to add value to the concept
                maps and strategy building that needs to go into problem solving.

                I think the webheads group could contribute quite a bit to this process.

                Dan Bassill

                > is excellent for creating mind maps--it's free and online.
                > However, I don't know of anyone who has done such a map for solving
                > problems in their community.
                > Seems to me this would be a neat brainstorming activity: youths could
                > sit in a group at the computer, list the activities they are thinking
                > of and then create a Gliffy map to show how the different activities
                > relate to each other and their goals.
                > --Elizabeth
                >
                > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Dan Bassill
                > <tutormentor2@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> I'm doing some concept mapping using a free service that can be found at
                >> http://cmap.ihmc.us/
                >>
                >> Here's a link to one of my strategy maps: http://tinyurl.com/23aa9w
                >>
                >> I think a learning activity for youth might be to research and map
                >> strategies that would help them solve problems in their community,
                > or map
                >> our their own strategies for learning and making a difference in the
                > world.
                >>
                >> I'm sure this is probably taking place somewhere. Can anyone point
                > to web
                >> sites that demonstrate this?
                >>
                >> Dan Bassill
                >> Tutor/Mentor Connection
                >>

                > For more information:

                > extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please
                delete
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                extraneous text from the reply -
                Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete this footer and any other
                extraneous text from the reply -
                Thanks!!
                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Susan Burg
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
                  Andreas, those are all nice...need to work on them to find how I might
                  use them but they are definitely fun tools. thanks!!!

                  http://www.bubbl.us/ appeals to me first-hand because the shapes and
                  colors are attractive...I am working on finding how to add text....
                  btw, where did you find these?

                  Susan

                  > Here are a few other applications to create mind maps / concept maps.
                  >

                  > < http://www.mindomo.com/>
                  >
                  > < http://www.mindmeister.com/>
                  >
                  > < http://www.bubbl.us/>
                  >
                  > < http://thinkature.com/>
                  >

                  > If you try them, let us know what you think about them.

                • Dan Bassill
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
                    I've tried www.Gliffy.com and www.freemind.com and www.thinkature.com and
                    they each have unique features. However, I was able to put more ideas
                    together in a shorter time using the cMap tool. For instance, yesterday I
                    created a page of metrics at - http://tinyurl.com/24fcgy

                    These tools demonstrate what one person can do to illustrate his/her
                    thinking. I think it's a much more difficult challenge getting multiple
                    people to do the thinking and then work together to create these concept
                    maps.

                    My first goal is to find other tutor/mentor leaders who are mapping their
                    own strategies (if you know any, let me know). If we can compare concept
                    maps, we can see where we overlap and might work together, or where one of
                    us might have a strength or a weakness, which could be fixed by borrowing
                    from the other.

                    If multiple programs were mapping their strategies, then the learning
                    potential would also multiply and this could then lead to new maps, that
                    would be blended strategies.

                    Finally, if multiple programs were mapping their strategies, maybe we could
                    demonstrate greater value to investors and donors, and have more of the
                    resources we need to do the work we are describing with our maps.

                    Dan

                    > Dan--
                    > I think
                    > <http://www.Gliffy.com>
                    > is excellent for creating mind maps--it's free and online.
                    > However, I don't know of anyone who has done such a map for solving
                    > problems in their community.
                    > Seems to me this would be a neat brainstorming activity: youths could
                    > sit in a group at the computer, list the activities they are thinking
                    > of and then create a Gliffy map to show how the different activities
                    > relate to each other and their goals.
                    > --Elizabeth
                    >
                    > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Dan Bassill
                    > <tutormentor2@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> I'm doing some concept mapping using a free service that can be found at
                    >> http://cmap.ihmc.us/
                    >>
                    >> Here's a link to one of my strategy maps: http://tinyurl.com/23aa9w
                    >>
                    >> I think a learning activity for youth might be to research and map
                    >> strategies that would help them solve problems in their community,
                    > or map
                    >> our their own strategies for learning and making a difference in the
                    > world.
                    >>
                    >> I'm sure this is probably taking place somewhere. Can anyone point
                    > to web
                    >> sites that demonstrate this?
                    >>
                    >> Dan Bassill
                    >> Tutor/Mentor Connection
                    >>

                    > For more information:
                    >
                    > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous
                    > text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete this footer
                    > and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Janet Keyser

                      > is excellent for creating mind maps--it's free and online.
                      > However, I don't know of anyone who has done such a map for solving
                      > problems in their community.
                      > Seems to me this would be a neat brainstorming activity: youths could
                      > sit in a group at the computer, list the activities they are thinking
                      > of and then create a Gliffy map to show how the different activities
                      > relate to each other and their goals.
                      > --Elizabeth
                      >
                      > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Dan Bassill
                      > <tutormentor2@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> I'm doing some concept mapping using a free service that can be found at
                      >> http://cmap.ihmc.us/
                      >>
                      >> Here's a link to one of my strategy maps: http://tinyurl.com/23aa9w
                      >>
                      >> I think a learning activity for youth might be to research and map
                      >> strategies that would help them solve problems in their community,
                      > or map
                      >> our their own strategies for learning and making a difference in the
                      > world.
                      >>
                      >> I'm sure this is probably taking place somewhere. Can anyone point
                      > to web
                      >> sites that demonstrate this?
                      >>
                      >> Dan Bassill
                      >> Tutor/Mentor Connection
                      >>

                      > For more information:

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Dan Bassill
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
                        Janet,

                        I believe all of these are possible, and that any project can be launched
                        from anywhere in the world, even from a 5th grade classroom. As long as the
                        group who launches a project puts it on the internet, to stimulate the
                        thinking and learning of others, or to recruit followers, such projects can
                        lead to even more groups focusing on similar issues.

                        Because of the ability to map the world, using Geographic Information
                        Systems type databases, youth in China, and Mexico, and Detroit, and London
                        could each be focusing on the same problem, in different places of the
                        world, and from different places.

                        At an aggregator site, someone could be color coding a map, or using push
                        pins, to indicate which areas of the world someone is focusing attention on
                        a specific problem, which would provide a global understanding of what areas
                        are getting attention, and which still need someone to adopt them.

                        There's lots of potential with these tools and thus lots of opportunity for
                        educators to engage learners in this process.

                        Our goal of expanding the Tutor/Mentor Leadership and Networking Conference
                        (http://www.tutormentorconference.org ) to the Internet, is to enable groups
                        from around the world to showcase their maps and concepts and learn from
                        each other on an on-going basis.

                        Imagine if a future Web heads convergence had workshops providing updates of
                        how teams are solving problems in the world, as a result of learning to use
                        these learning and problem solving tools.

                        Dan Bassill