Calling Chris Johnson or other CoP Experts!

  • Michael Coghlan
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 2, 2007
      Hi everyone.

      I was looking for Chris Johnson's wonderful map of CoP theory that
      used to be at
      <http://sites.inka.de/%7EW3446/cop/sitemap.htm>http://sites.inka.de/~W3446/cop/sitemap.htm
      but it's not accessible there anymore. Does anyone know where it's now hiding?

      - Michael

    • Barbara Dieu
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 2, 2007
      • Dan Bassill
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 2, 2007
          I'm doing some concept mapping using a free service that can be found at
          http://cmap.ihmc.us/

          Here's a link to one of my strategy maps: http://tinyurl.com/23aa9w

          I think a learning activity for youth might be to research and map
          strategies that would help them solve problems in their community, or map
          our their own strategies for learning and making a difference in the world.

          I'm sure this is probably taking place somewhere. Can anyone point to web
          sites that demonstrate this?

          Dan Bassill
          Tutor/Mentor Connection
        • Michael Coghlan
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 2, 2007
            At 01:02 AM 6/3/2007, you wrote:

            >This one?
            ><http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/tesol/baltimore2003/cop200x300.jpg>http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/tesol/baltimore2003/cop200x300.jpg
            >http://www.homestead.com/prosites-vstevens/files/efi/papers/cairo2004/plenary/05cop.gif

            Yes Bee, that's the one. Thanks. But the original image version was
            clickable and took you further into each section....it was a small
            website in effect.

            - Michael

            >Warm regards,
            >Bee
            >
            >--
            >Barbara Dieu
            ><http://dekita.org>http://dekita.org
            >http://beewebhead.net

          • Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 4, 2007
              Dan--
              I think
              <http://www.Gliffy.com>
              is excellent for creating mind maps--it's free and online.
              However, I don't know of anyone who has done such a map for solving
              problems in their community.
              Seems to me this would be a neat brainstorming activity: youths could
              sit in a group at the computer, list the activities they are thinking
              of and then create a Gliffy map to show how the different activities
              relate to each other and their goals.
              --Elizabeth

              --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Dan Bassill

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 4, 2007
                Hi,

                It was interesting to me to see another concept mapping tool (the one from
                West Florida U) in addition to Gliffy, and also see a concept map of Dan's
                Tutor/Mentor Learning Network. However, it was most interesting to me to
                see that this post was about concept mapping, because when I read it without
                exploring the links, I assumed it was about Google mapping etc. e.g.
                "research and map
                strategies that would help them solve problems in their community"

                There has been a lot of discussion of mapping projects of that nature on the
                worldbridges network. Specific examples escape me at the moment (perhaps
                webheads can fill in here) but when I am looking for such information I
                generally make a Google search on my topic in conjunction with
                'worldbridges' or 'edtechtalk' or 'teachers teaching teacher' in case I know
                the program I am looking for.

                It seems to me that the two, concept mapping plus physical mapping tools to
                help users understand what is happening on the ground, would be powerful in
                the hands of young learners, and that one tool would augment the other.

                Vance

                Indeed the post could be about just that,
                > is excellent for creating mind maps--it's free and online.
                > However, I don't know of anyone who has done such a map for solving
                > problems in their community.
                > Seems to me this would be a neat brainstorming activity: youths could
                > sit in a group at the computer, list the activities they are thinking
                > of and then create a Gliffy map to show how the different activities
                > relate to each other and their goals.
                > --Elizabeth
                >
                > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Dan Bassill
                > <tutormentor2@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> I'm doing some concept mapping using a free service that can be found at
                >> http://cmap.ihmc.us/
                >>
                >> Here's a link to one of my strategy maps: http://tinyurl.com/23aa9w
                >>
                >> I think a learning activity for youth might be to research and map
                >> strategies that would help them solve problems in their community,
                > or map
                >> our their own strategies for learning and making a difference in the
                > world.
                >>
                >> I'm sure this is probably taking place somewhere. Can anyone point
                > to web
                >> sites that demonstrate this?
                >>
                >> Dan Bassill
                >> Tutor/Mentor Connection
                >>

                > For more information:

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Andreas Büsing
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 4, 2007
                  Hi,

                  Here are a few other applications to create mind maps / concept maps.

                  < http://www.mindomo.com/>

                  < http://www.mindmeister.com/>

                  < http://www.bubbl.us/>

                  < http://thinkature.com/>

                  If you try them, let us know what you think about them.

                  Just sharing … because it is caring!

                  Best wishes

                  Andreas

                  Phone: 01801-63384604568

                  Fax: 01805-0068648058

                  I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.

                  -- Mark Twain

                  -end of message-

                  _____

                  is excellent for creating mind maps--it's free and online.
                  However, I don't know of anyone who has done such a map for solving
                  problems in their community.
                  Seems to me this would be a neat brainstorming activity: youths could
                  sit in a group at the computer, list the activities they are thinking
                  of and then create a Gliffy map to show how the different activities
                  relate to each other and their goals.
                  --Elizabeth

                  --- In evonline2002_ <mailto:evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>

                  <http://tinyurl.com/23aa9w> com/23aa9w

                  > I think a learning activity for youth might be to research and map
                  > strategies that would help them solve problems in their community,
                  or map
                  > our their own strategies for learning and making a difference in the
                  world.

                  > I'm sure this is probably taking place somewhere. Can anyone point
                  to web
                  > sites that demonstrate this?
                  >
                  > Dan Bassill
                  > Tutor/Mentor Connection

                • Fernanda Rodrigues
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
                    FreeMind as well

                    http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

                    Fernanda

                  • tutormentor2@earthlink.net
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
                      I've combined real maps, created with Geographic Information Systems, (see
                      http://
                      www.tutormentorprogramlocator.net/programlocator/default.asp) and concept
                      maps such as I sent
                      previously, in an effort to help people visualize all of the places in a
                      city, state or country where the
                      same problem persists, and the same type of solution might help solve the
                      problem. A GIS create
                      map enables you to look at layers of information and zoom into specific
                      locations, while a concept
                      map works like a blueprint, to help a group understand all of the actions
                      needed at specific times,
                      and in specific ways, if the goal of the group is to be achieved.

                      In our media driven public policy very few people are thinking spatially
                      about all of the places where
                      resoruces are needed to solve a problem, or all of the years it takes for
                      many people working
                      together to solve a problem in a single place, let alone all of the places
                      on the map where the
                      problem persists.

                      I've been interested in the concept of web quests and elearning because
                      these seem to be tools that
                      leaders could use to help youth AND adults sort through all of this
                      information. Until you begin to
                      understand the problem, and the range of possible solutions, it's difficult
                      to add value to the concept
                      maps and strategy building that needs to go into problem solving.

                      I think the webheads group could contribute quite a bit to this process.

                      Dan Bassill

                      > is excellent for creating mind maps--it's free and online.
                      > However, I don't know of anyone who has done such a map for solving
                      > problems in their community.
                      > Seems to me this would be a neat brainstorming activity: youths could
                      > sit in a group at the computer, list the activities they are thinking
                      > of and then create a Gliffy map to show how the different activities
                      > relate to each other and their goals.
                      > --Elizabeth
                      >
                      > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Dan Bassill
                      > <tutormentor2@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> I'm doing some concept mapping using a free service that can be found at
                      >> http://cmap.ihmc.us/
                      >>
                      >> Here's a link to one of my strategy maps: http://tinyurl.com/23aa9w
                      >>
                      >> I think a learning activity for youth might be to research and map
                      >> strategies that would help them solve problems in their community,
                      > or map
                      >> our their own strategies for learning and making a difference in the
                      > world.
                      >>
                      >> I'm sure this is probably taking place somewhere. Can anyone point
                      > to web
                      >> sites that demonstrate this?
                      >>
                      >> Dan Bassill
                      >> Tutor/Mentor Connection
                      >>

                      > For more information:

                      > extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please
                      delete
                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      extraneous text from the reply -
                      Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete this footer and any other
                      extraneous text from the reply -
                      Thanks!!
                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Susan Burg
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
                        Andreas, those are all nice...need to work on them to find how I might
                        use them but they are definitely fun tools. thanks!!!

                        http://www.bubbl.us/ appeals to me first-hand because the shapes and
                        colors are attractive...I am working on finding how to add text....
                        btw, where did you find these?

                        Susan

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
                          I've tried www.Gliffy.com and www.freemind.com and www.thinkature.com and
                          they each have unique features. However, I was able to put more ideas
                          together in a shorter time using the cMap tool. For instance, yesterday I
                          created a page of metrics at - http://tinyurl.com/24fcgy

                          These tools demonstrate what one person can do to illustrate his/her
                          thinking. I think it's a much more difficult challenge getting multiple
                          people to do the thinking and then work together to create these concept
                          maps.

                          My first goal is to find other tutor/mentor leaders who are mapping their
                          own strategies (if you know any, let me know). If we can compare concept
                          maps, we can see where we overlap and might work together, or where one of
                          us might have a strength or a weakness, which could be fixed by borrowing
                          from the other.

                          If multiple programs were mapping their strategies, then the learning
                          potential would also multiply and this could then lead to new maps, that
                          would be blended strategies.

                          Finally, if multiple programs were mapping their strategies, maybe we could
                          demonstrate greater value to investors and donors, and have more of the
                          resources we need to do the work we are describing with our maps.

                          Dan

                          > Dan--
                          > I think
                          > <http://www.Gliffy.com>
                          > is excellent for creating mind maps--it's free and online.
                          > However, I don't know of anyone who has done such a map for solving
                          > problems in their community.
                          > Seems to me this would be a neat brainstorming activity: youths could
                          > sit in a group at the computer, list the activities they are thinking
                          > of and then create a Gliffy map to show how the different activities
                          > relate to each other and their goals.
                          > --Elizabeth
                          >
                          > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Dan Bassill
                          > <tutormentor2@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> I'm doing some concept mapping using a free service that can be found at
                          >> http://cmap.ihmc.us/
                          >>
                          >> Here's a link to one of my strategy maps: http://tinyurl.com/23aa9w
                          >>
                          >> I think a learning activity for youth might be to research and map
                          >> strategies that would help them solve problems in their community,
                          > or map
                          >> our their own strategies for learning and making a difference in the
                          > world.
                          >>
                          >> I'm sure this is probably taking place somewhere. Can anyone point
                          > to web
                          >> sites that demonstrate this?
                          >>
                          >> Dan Bassill
                          >> Tutor/Mentor Connection
                          >>

                          > For more information:
                          >
                          > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous
                          > text from the reply - Thanks!!plying to postings, please delete this footer
                          > and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!
                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Janet Keyser

                            > is excellent for creating mind maps--it's free and online.
                            > However, I don't know of anyone who has done such a map for solving
                            > problems in their community.
                            > Seems to me this would be a neat brainstorming activity: youths could
                            > sit in a group at the computer, list the activities they are thinking
                            > of and then create a Gliffy map to show how the different activities
                            > relate to each other and their goals.
                            > --Elizabeth
                            >
                            > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Dan Bassill
                            > <tutormentor2@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> I'm doing some concept mapping using a free service that can be found at
                            >> http://cmap.ihmc.us/
                            >>
                            >> Here's a link to one of my strategy maps: http://tinyurl.com/23aa9w
                            >>
                            >> I think a learning activity for youth might be to research and map
                            >> strategies that would help them solve problems in their community,
                            > or map
                            >> our their own strategies for learning and making a difference in the
                            > world.
                            >>
                            >> I'm sure this is probably taking place somewhere. Can anyone point
                            > to web
                            >> sites that demonstrate this?
                            >>
                            >> Dan Bassill
                            >> Tutor/Mentor Connection
                            >>

                            > For more information:

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Dan Bassill
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
                              Janet,

                              I believe all of these are possible, and that any project can be launched
                              from anywhere in the world, even from a 5th grade classroom. As long as the
                              group who launches a project puts it on the internet, to stimulate the
                              thinking and learning of others, or to recruit followers, such projects can
                              lead to even more groups focusing on similar issues.

                              Because of the ability to map the world, using Geographic Information
                              Systems type databases, youth in China, and Mexico, and Detroit, and London
                              could each be focusing on the same problem, in different places of the
                              world, and from different places.

                              At an aggregator site, someone could be color coding a map, or using push
                              pins, to indicate which areas of the world someone is focusing attention on
                              a specific problem, which would provide a global understanding of what areas
                              are getting attention, and which still need someone to adopt them.

                              There's lots of potential with these tools and thus lots of opportunity for
                              educators to engage learners in this process.

                              Our goal of expanding the Tutor/Mentor Leadership and Networking Conference
                              (http://www.tutormentorconference.org ) to the Internet, is to enable groups
                              from around the world to showcase their maps and concepts and learn from
                              each other on an on-going basis.

                              Imagine if a future Web heads convergence had workshops providing updates of
                              how teams are solving problems in the world, as a result of learning to use
                              these learning and problem solving tools.

                              Dan Bassill