Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Tagging + a project

  • Carla arena
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
      Dear Rita,

      I'm really interested to see how your project evolves. I was invited by
      Vance to join you guys, but I was so overwhelmed with moving, online
      classes, family that I didn't do anything on the wiki and the blogging part.
      Also, as Dennis, I'm studentless! However, If you feel it could be of any
      interest if I blogged about my own stories, I could do that and tag it as
      you asked.

      About Steve Jobs speech, I meant to send that to the Webheads group when I
      watched it. His speech is worth every minute watching it!

      I just searched technorati and yours is the first post under
      writingmatrix+serendipity . Just loved it!

      If you feel that I can be of any help, let me know, and I'll join you!

      I know how hard it is to carry out a project, but the results can be
      rewarding! We all gain from the experience. The other day I mentioned that
      I was really interested to see what your results would be for this specific
      project because we have such similar contexts, and I don't really feel my
      students would engage in such a project.Also, if you consider the system we
      teach at, most of the teachers wouldn't be willing to take their time to
      learn about these new features. We're still seen as ETs at our school! We've
      gone a long way, have been able to do many things in terms of technology in
      the last 4 years, but still... There's a WORLD to explore! And most of my
      co-workers are not willing to take a step ahead. So, please, keep us
      updated on the strategies you've been using to open these new doors to your
      teens. You could be encouraging others to plunge into this idea! Even me!
      I'm always willing to try new things. However, these days I've been
      considering things like, OK, how far should I go with my groups in terms of
      using tech-tools? How much will they really profit from that? Please, don't
      get me wrong. I'm not questioning your project, at all! On the contrary, I
      think it's an eye-opener for the opportunities we might be missing. And I'm
      all for trying new ways to incorporate new elements into my teaching
      practice.

      So, just to say that I'm really interested in what you are doing and willing
      to help, if it is OK with you that I would be writing something, but not
      with students. I really miss them and the classroom!

      Besos,
      Carla

      On 5/31/07, Rita Zeinstejer <rita@...> wrote:

      > Hi, dear Webheads,
      >
      > As most of you already know, I keep struggling, like most of you do,
      > to motivate my students well enough to keep online projects going.
      > I have carried out different joint projects with colleagues from
      > different corners in the world so far, as it's always been my
      > personal aim that of passing on to the people who speak English in my
      > area --both students of the language and teachers-- the zest and the
      > pleasure of using it to communicate, to learn, to share, to enjoy.
      > It's the pleasure I myself derive from doing what I love in life.
      >
      > In my relentless campaign to fulfil my goal, I am at the moment
      > working with a group of students who, despite their slow awakening to
      > the assets of blended learning, took to blogging and podcasting with
      > enthusiasm, to my personal contentment. They posted their comments at
      > our www.caeb2007.podomatic.com and responded to the tasks I assigned
      > as they learnt to appreciate the how-to's and the why's of
      > integrating technology into their learning process.
      >
      > My latest proposal entailed the exploration of the use of "tagging",
      > as presented in the WIAOC Convergence, together with Vance, Sasha,
      > Doris and Nelba. We have in mind what I have always had in mind
      > myself: connecting with like-minded people with whom to share
      > interests and concerns, similarities and differences, sources of joy
      > through a common language.
      >
      > In order to investigate how tagging can be used for language learning
      > to facilitate communication and exchange of information I believe
      > that we need to "desguise" our aim and present a good,
      > appealing "task" to students so that they get hooked and decide to
      > participate, both just out of interest in the topic and out of
      > willingness to share information with their peers. So bearing this in
      > mind I thought of "The Serendipity Project", which I described in my
      > blog at Podomatic, hoping it would be an engaging topic for all
      > students anywhere.
      > The idea is producing a serendipitous story based on a real
      > experience, which will eventually be shared with all readers who have
      > tagged their stories "writingmatrix + serendipity", and which will
      > allow us, in the long run, to see results.
      >
      > In the meantime, I have come across a "serendipitously" rich example
      > of a life personally described by Steve Jobs, the co-founder and CEO
      > of "Apple", currently the largest Disney shareholder and a member of
      > Disney's Board of Directors. He is considered a leading figure in
      > both the computer and entertainment industries, and this video is the
      > Stanford Commencement Speech he gave in 2005.
      > I wanted to share this magnificent speech he gave to graduating
      > students in the USA, which provides not only food for thought, but
      > also a good link to my "serendipity" project, as well as a
      > springboard for further analysis and comments.
      >
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1R-jKKp3NA

> [...]

    • Dennis Newson
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
        Rita,

        Thanks very much for that reference on how to tag within Wordpress. I'm
        working my way through it.

        Dennis

      • Jane Petring
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2007
          Rita,
          I love the idea of your serendipity project and was quite moved by Steve Jobs' speech--especially his story about calligraphy. If I can work it into the curriculum with my advanced students next fall, I'll get my students to write about their serendipitous experiences as well.

          Jane

          Jobs speech:
          http://www.youtube com/watch? v=D1R-jKKp3NA