Re: [evonline2002_webheads] StudyCom seeking Spanish and Chinese Volunteer Teachers

    Message 1 of 15 , May 31, 2007
      Great news David. As a long-time supporter and affiliate of Study.com -
      most people in the know have realized by now that Webheads got its START
      with study.com - and having paid some dues as a teacher both with study.com
      and Webheads, I would like to volunteer as a LEARNER in your new projects.

      Sign me up!

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1, 2007
        Susan, this is great stuff...Congratultions. Can you send us some
        more URL's to look at? Including your own contact information, bio
        details, etc. etc.

        Also, forgive my decision not to snip Susan's post. If you missed it,
        worth reading. If you skimmed over it, worth reading a second time.
        You Webheads do more than "just" teach English...a LOT more!

        At 10:28 AM +0000 5/31/07, susannenyrop wrote:
        >Dear Teresa and Fernanda, and all good webheads
        >

        >I just came back from a lively 5 days Dialog meetings in Portugal
        >invited by CPsquare. This was my first opportunity to meet live with
        >about 18 people and collaborate on real work, plus having set two days
        >aside for semi structured dialog sessions on how to work from a
        >community of practice aspect in organisations, education and community.
        >
        >We had a guest evening in Setubal (where we stayed outside of town )
        >and we invited Teresa and Fernanda as local representatives and role
        >models for Becoming Webheads in Action. I can tell you that Webheads
        >have become pretty famous in this context as inspiration for
        >innovative teacher professional community building online.
        >
        >One of our practice tasks was to convene workshops for THEKA school
        >librarians (in Porto) on web 2.0 for community of practice building
        >as a follow up on sessions with Etienne Wenger - an event which
        >helped us form d hoc groups and motivate participants to get into
        >their own dialogs.
        >
        >Another task was validation of a EU project on social inclusion, EQUAL
        >where web 2.0 was used for empowerment of community building. Both of
        >these projects had Beverly Trayner as leader and she beautifully
        >managed to prepare and keep the flame burning for our collaboration
        >project as well as for our dialogs, our household practicalities and
        >transport arrangements. Kudos to this ladylike bunch of sparkling energy!!
        >
        >I've been priviledged to meet and work for almost a week with people
        >like Bronwyn Stuckey and Nancy White whom I already met online in the
        >Networking 2002 conference, and with veteran CPsquare leaders Etienne
        >Wenger and John Smith.This seem like an old dream of mine coming true.
        >And, I've been working on this for many years. So, being able to
        >convene this Webheads /CPSQ dialog around a festive dinner table in a
        >small restaurant in Setubal made me feel extremely happy.

      • YD Chen
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 2, 2007
          Hi,David,
          I have been waiting for this moment for years.Once i am enrolled in your project,my students will following suits.We will all be volunteers in your Chinese project.
          Can you talk to us on Skype next week? We are online 4 times a week:
          1. Monday morning (from 8 to 10)
          2. Wednesday moring ( 8 to 10)
          3. Thursday moring ( 8 to 10)
          4.Friday afternoon ( 2:30 to 4:10 )
          We are GMT+8.
          Regards,
          yaodong

          Vance Stevens <vstevens@...> wrote:
          Great news David. As a long-time supporter and affiliate of Study.com -
          most people in the know have realized by now that Webheads got its START
          with study.com - and having paid some dues as a teacher both with study.com
          and Webheads, I would like to volunteer as a LEARNER in your new projects.

          Sign me up!

          > While English looks to continue being the primary language of
          > international communication, we think Spanish and Chinese are becoming at
          > the very least regional linguae francae (I hope that's the Latin
          > plural...) and so want to offer them in the spirit of international
          > communication and cultural diversity.
          >
          > Thus StudyCom (http://www.study.com) is going to add Spanish and Chinese
          > to its class offerings and so would like to encourage any of you so
          > inclined to volunteer to teach either of those world languages, including
          > in Second Life!
          >
          > Thanks in advance,
          >
          > Sincerely,
          >
          > David Winet, coordinator
          > StudyCom
          > http://www.study.com
          >
          > MSN Msgr: dwinet@...
          > Skype: dwinet
          > Yahoo Messenger: not_ants
          >

          > For more information:

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Fernanda Rodrigues
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 3, 2007
            Hi Aiden
            You can see some pictures here.
            It was great to meet Sus! Thank you for the invitation!

            http://www.flickr.com/photos/44124287188@N01/show/

            Fernanda

            On Thu, 31 May 2007 17:40:58 -0700 (PDT)
            Aiden Yeh <aidenyeh@...> wrote:

            > Where are the pics?
            >
            > hugs,
            >
            > Aiden
            >

            > susannenyrop <netopnyrop@...> wrote: Dear Teresa and Fernanda, and all good webheads
            >
            > I just came back from a lively 5 days Dialog meetings in Portugal
            > invited by CPsquare. This was my first opportunity to meet live with
            > about 18 people and collaborate on real work, plus having set two days
            > aside for semi structured dialog sessions on how to work from a
            > community of practice aspect in organisations, education and community.
            >
            > <snip>

          • cristina costa
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 3, 2007
              What a feast I missed!

              Man... I am never in the country at the right time!

              Great photos. Thanks Fernanda!

              Where was that restaurant?

              I am coming to Lisbon on the 6th June. Jane
              Petring will be join us. We will have another webhead party with the Lisbon webheads. HURRAY! Anyone
              wanting to join us?

              Cris

              Aiden Yeh <aidenyeh@yahoo. com> wrote:

              > Where are the pics?

              > hugs,

              > Aiden

              > susannenyrop <netopnyrop@gmail. com> wrote: Dear Teresa and Fernanda, and all good webheads

              > I just came back from a lively 5 days Dialog meetings in Portugal

              > invited by CPsquare. This was my first opportunity to meet live with

              > about 18 people and collaborate on real work, plus having set two days

              > aside for semi structured dialog sessions on how to work from a

              > community of practice aspect in organisations, education and community.

              > <snip>

              <!--

              #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
              #ygrp-text{
              font-family:Georgia;
              }
              #ygrp-text p{
              margin:0 0 1em 0;}
              #ygrp-tpmsgs{
              font-family:Arial;
              clear:both;}
              #ygrp-vitnav{
              #ygrp-vitnav a{
              padding:0 1px;}
              #ygrp-actbar{
              #ygrp-actbar .left{
              float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
              .bld{font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-grft{
              #ygrp-ft{
              padding:5px 0;
              }
              #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
              padding-bottom:10px;}

              #ygrp-vital{
              #ygrp-vital #vithd{
              #ygrp-vital ul{
              padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
              #ygrp-vital ul li{
              }
              #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
              #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
              font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-vital a {
              text-decoration:none;}

              #ygrp-vital a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;}

              #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
              color:#999;font-size:77%;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
              padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
              text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
              padding:8px 0;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
              text-decoration:none;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
              margin:0;}
              o {font-size:0;}
              .MsoNormal {
              margin:0 0 0 0;}
              #ygrp-text tt{
              font-size:120%;}
              blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
              .replbq {margin:4;}
              -->

            • Aiden Yeh
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 3, 2007
                Lovely pictures, Fernanda. Thanks for sharing them with us.

                Aiden

                http://www.flickr com/photos/ 44124287188@ N01/show/

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 4, 2007
                  Great pics, Fernanda! Good to see you all together.
                  Warm regards from Brazil,
                  Bee

                  --
                  Barbara Dieu
                  http://dekita.org

                • Gladys Baya
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 17, 2007
                    Today I found the time to visit Study website... I found a schedule
                    for English, and one for Chinese classes... and that's it!

                    What's happened with Spanish classes? Has that project been called
                    off? I thought I might get a few teachers interested for volunteers in
                    that language, but first I'd ned to find out what it demands! (you
                    see, I haven't heard about study.com before).

                    Intigued,

                    Gladys

                    Chinese to its class offerings and so would like to encourage any of
                    you so inclined to volunteer to teach either of those world languages,
                    including in Second Life!
                  • Alicia
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 17, 2007
                      Just visited and had the same impression about study.com.

                      I even thought its web was going to be more attractive as well....

                      Hope to hear some news, specially about teaching english or spanish in SL.

                      alicia

                    • Moira Hunter

                        Chinese to its class offerings and so would like to encourage any of
                        you so inclined to volunteer to teach either of those world languages,
                        including in Second Life!

                      • David Winet
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 18, 2007
                          Dear All,

                          StudyCom has found one teacher for Spanish but still would like more if
                          anyone is interested in volunteering.

                          You could teach either synchronously, asynchronously or a combination.
                          You can use your own materials. Two hours a week and a three month
                          commitment are what we usually request.

                          Please contact me directly if you think you might want to teach on
                          StudyCom and I'll furnish you with more details.

                          The website *is* horrible. But most of what happens in StudyCom
                          happens in the webconferencing rooms or in Second Life. The website is
                          basically a jumping-off point.... One of these days it'll get a makeover
                          and be able to walk the red carpet with the rich and beautiful sites...

                          Thanks,

                          Dave Winet, coordinator
                          http://www.study.com