Re: [evonline2002_webheads]The Genders of Robots/Computers* in Different Languages

  • Cora Chen
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2007
      Dear Nina Ly and Those Who have Responded to My Survey,

      So far I have received very interesting responses to my survey from 14 of you. I have learned a lot from you about the special features in your native languages.
      I hope I will be getting more responses in the coming days.

      Many thanks again, :-)))
      Cora

      >>> nina.lyulkun@... 05/31/07 12:36 AM >>>
      Hi Cora,

      The gender system in Ukrainian and Russian is absolutely different from
      that of English. Sometimes it causes difficulties for students to define
      a gender of English nouns which are always tend to be neutral in
      English. I have filled the survey you offered.

      The best of luck,
      Nina Lyulkun

      Cora Chen wrote:
      I am going to create an online reading & vocabulary lesson about "The Genders of Robots and Computers in Different Languages." ...

      > http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=ADciR9xboERwJ46Knw48BQ%3d%3d
    • Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
        For all Mac users trying to see Moira's presentations from WiAOC, this
        is the info I got by writing to DiscoverE directly:

        "The DiscoverE-IW platform is only available on intelMac running 3rd
        party emulators such as Parallels [ www.parallels.com ] or Bootcamp[
        www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp ]."

        However, I didn't seem able to view it on my PC laptop either. Will
        try again when I am at home.

        --Elizabeth
      • Michael Shade
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
          For Mac users considering this, Parallels costs around £40 UK ($80
          US), and allows you to open Windows within Mac OSX as a 'guest'
          operating system, so you can drag & drop files across from one to the
          other. I splashed out on it the other week precisely so I could get
          to the WiAOC sessions in DiscoverE & Alado - it works fine, just like
          being in Windows . . .

          Bootcamp is currently a free Beta, that will eventually be included
          in OSX 10.5 (Leopard) - but you have to shut down the system you're
          in & boot up the other each time you want to switch.

          Plus you need to install Windows, of course . . .

          Regards,

          Michael

          --------------------
          Michael Shade
          michael@...
          http://www.michalska.net
          http://blog.michalska.net/

          On 1 Jun 2007, at 16:29, Elizabeth Hanson-Smith wrote:

          > For all Mac users trying to see Moira's presentations from WiAOC, this
          > is the info I got by writing to DiscoverE directly:
          >
          > "The DiscoverE-IW platform is only available on intelMac running 3rd
          > party emulators such as Parallels [ www.parallels.com ] or Bootcamp[
          > www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp ]."
          >
          > However, I didn't seem able to view it on my PC laptop either. Will
          > try again when I am at home.
          >
          > --Elizabeth

        • Moira Hunter
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
            Hi Elizabeth,

            The Interwise platform is PC and the recordings made in Interwise are for PC only. Those are the recordings availbable at the moment. Together with the audio recordings made available by Jeffl (Worldbridges). I have looked at my own presentation on PC and it was fine when I did look.

            I am still waiting for DiscoverE to give the recordings made with Camtasia for viewing by all, ie those with Macs (without recent Macs with Windows nor Parallels).

            Moira :-)

            Elizabeth Hanson-Smith <ehansonsmi@...> wrote: For all Mac users trying to see Moira's presentations from WiAOC, this