[evonline2002_webheads]The Genders of Robots/Computers in Different Languages--Michael S.

  • Cora Chen
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2007
      Dear Mr. Shade,
      Thank you so much for your information and your responses to my survey!
      Many Thanks,
      Cora

      >>> m.shade@... 05/31/07 3:03 PM >>>
      CompaƱeros,

      Spanish has 2 words for computer (maybe more?):

      un ordenador (masc) - used in Spain
      una computadora (fem) - used in Latin America (not sure if exclusively)

      I've no idea whether there's any significance in this - are there any
      Spanish speakers here who could enlighten us? I must say I'm always
      dubious about sociological interpretations of m/f attributions. I'll
      be intrigued to know the results of your survey!

      Regards,

      Michael