Tagging + a project

  • Rita Zeinstejer
    Message 1 of 8 , May 31, 2007
      Hi, dear Webheads,

      As most of you already know, I keep struggling, like most of you do,
      to motivate my students well enough to keep online projects going.
      I have carried out different joint projects with colleagues from
      different corners in the world so far, as it's always been my
      personal aim that of passing on to the people who speak English in my
      area --both students of the language and teachers-- the zest and the
      pleasure of using it to communicate, to learn, to share, to enjoy.
      It's the pleasure I myself derive from doing what I love in life.

      In my relentless campaign to fulfil my goal, I am at the moment
      working with a group of students who, despite their slow awakening to
      the assets of blended learning, took to blogging and podcasting with
      enthusiasm, to my personal contentment. They posted their comments at
      our www.caeb2007.podomatic.com and responded to the tasks I assigned
      as they learnt to appreciate the how-to's and the why's of
      integrating technology into their learning process.

      My latest proposal entailed the exploration of the use of "tagging",
      as presented in the WIAOC Convergence, together with Vance, Sasha,
      Doris and Nelba. We have in mind what I have always had in mind
      myself: connecting with like-minded people with whom to share
      interests and concerns, similarities and differences, sources of joy
      through a common language.

      In order to investigate how tagging can be used for language learning
      to facilitate communication and exchange of information I believe
      that we need to "desguise" our aim and present a good,
      appealing "task" to students so that they get hooked and decide to
      participate, both just out of interest in the topic and out of
      willingness to share information with their peers. So bearing this in
      mind I thought of "The Serendipity Project", which I described in my
      blog at Podomatic, hoping it would be an engaging topic for all
      students anywhere.
      The idea is producing a serendipitous story based on a real
      experience, which will eventually be shared with all readers who have
      tagged their stories "writingmatrix + serendipity", and which will
      allow us, in the long run, to see results.

      In the meantime, I have come across a "serendipitously" rich example
      of a life personally described by Steve Jobs, the co-founder and CEO
      of "Apple", currently the largest Disney shareholder and a member of
      Disney's Board of Directors. He is considered a leading figure in
      both the computer and entertainment industries, and this video is the
      Stanford Commencement Speech he gave in 2005.
      I wanted to share this magnificent speech he gave to graduating
      students in the USA, which provides not only food for thought, but
      also a good link to my "serendipity" project, as well as a
      springboard for further analysis and comments.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1R-jKKp3NA

      You are all invited to join this project with your students, the only
      condition obviously being an upper-intermediate level of English to
      allow for a comprehensible, compelling story to be shared and
      enjoyed. If anybody was interested in knowing a bit more
      about "Serendipity", a good list of serendipitous discoveries, for
      example, is available in Wikipedia, very interesting to go through.
      In fact, quite illuminating! ;-)

      Students should write their story in their own blogs and tag
      them "writingmatrix + serendipity". By doing a search in Tecnorati
      anybody will be able to find other participants having tagged their
      postings using the same words. Which might be the starting point for
      further exchanges in English.

      Finally, should this idea prosper..., and many participants joined us
      (thinking ambitiously!), we might even appoint a group of students
      from different countries to act as assessors or members of a jury in
      charge of deciding which entry has been the most appealing.

      (and we might then clearly see how the use of tagging enables
      students to identify others in the cyberspace, with similar interests)

      All and any comments are very welcome, as well as suggestions for
      polishing what I hope to be an enlightening experience.

      My warmest thankfulness,

      Rita
    • Dennis Newson
      Message 2 of 8 , May 31, 2007
        Rita,

        I have written about tags to both Bee and Vance and they have both kindly
        replied but I still haven't quite worked out how one actually tags in the
        common blogging programmes. I'm especially interested how you do it in:

        Wordpress
        Blogger
        and which ever other blogs are in common use.

        I'm sorry I cannot offer to join you - I'm studentless.

        Dennis

      • Michael Shade
        Message 3 of 8 , May 31, 2007
          Dennis,

          In Blogger tags are called "Labels" - you get the option to add them
          in a box at the end of a post.

          Regards,

          Michael

          --------------------
          Michael Shade
          michael@...
          http://www.michalska.net
          http://blog.michalska.net/

          On 31 May 2007, at 18:37, Dennis Newson wrote:

          > Rita,
          >
          > I have written about tags to both Bee and Vance and they have both
          > kindly
          > replied but I still haven't quite worked out how one actually tags
          > in the
          > common blogging programmes. I'm especially interested how you do it
          > in:
          >
          > Wordpress
          > Blogger
          > and which ever other blogs are in common use.
          >
          > I'm sorry I cannot offer to join you - I'm studentless.
          >
          > Dennis

        • Dennis Newson
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
            Michael.

            Thanks for telling me that. I'm now trying to work out what they are called
            on Wordpress.

            Dennis

          • Rita Zeinstejer
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
              Dear Dennis and Michael,

              My apologies for a belated "thank you" for your comments and your
              interest in my project.
              I've just done a search within Wordpress and found some explanation
              on tagging here http://lorelle.wordpress.com/2005/09/11/adding-
              technorati-tags-to-wordpressmu-sites/

              It seems it's not as easy as in other blog hosts, but at least
              there's a way :-)

              All my best,

              Rita

              --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Newson"
              <djn@...> wrote:

              > Michael.
              >
              > Thanks for telling me that. I'm now trying to work out what they
              are called
              > on Wordpress.
              >

              > Dennis

            • Carla arena
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
                Dear Rita,

                I'm really interested to see how your project evolves. I was invited by
                Vance to join you guys, but I was so overwhelmed with moving, online
                classes, family that I didn't do anything on the wiki and the blogging part.
                Also, as Dennis, I'm studentless! However, If you feel it could be of any
                interest if I blogged about my own stories, I could do that and tag it as
                you asked.

                About Steve Jobs speech, I meant to send that to the Webheads group when I
                watched it. His speech is worth every minute watching it!

                I just searched technorati and yours is the first post under
                writingmatrix+serendipity . Just loved it!

                If you feel that I can be of any help, let me know, and I'll join you!

                I know how hard it is to carry out a project, but the results can be
                rewarding! We all gain from the experience. The other day I mentioned that
                I was really interested to see what your results would be for this specific
                project because we have such similar contexts, and I don't really feel my
                students would engage in such a project.Also, if you consider the system we
                teach at, most of the teachers wouldn't be willing to take their time to
                learn about these new features. We're still seen as ETs at our school! We've
                gone a long way, have been able to do many things in terms of technology in
                the last 4 years, but still... There's a WORLD to explore! And most of my
                co-workers are not willing to take a step ahead. So, please, keep us
                updated on the strategies you've been using to open these new doors to your
                teens. You could be encouraging others to plunge into this idea! Even me!
                I'm always willing to try new things. However, these days I've been
                considering things like, OK, how far should I go with my groups in terms of
                using tech-tools? How much will they really profit from that? Please, don't
                get me wrong. I'm not questioning your project, at all! On the contrary, I
                think it's an eye-opener for the opportunities we might be missing. And I'm
                all for trying new ways to incorporate new elements into my teaching
                practice.

                So, just to say that I'm really interested in what you are doing and willing
                to help, if it is OK with you that I would be writing something, but not
                with students. I really miss them and the classroom!

                Besos,
                Carla

                On 5/31/07, Rita Zeinstejer <rita@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > In fact, quite illuminating! ;-)
                >
                > Students should write their story in their own blogs and tag
                > them "writingmatrix + serendipity". By doing a search in Tecnorati
                > anybody will be able to find other participants having tagged their
                > postings using the same words. Which might be the starting point for
                > further exchanges in English.
                >
                > Finally, should this idea prosper..., and many participants joined us
                > (thinking ambitiously!), we might even appoint a group of students
                > from different countries to act as assessors or members of a jury in
                > charge of deciding which entry has been the most appealing.
                >
                > (and we might then clearly see how the use of tagging enables
                > students to identify others in the cyberspace, with similar interests)
                >
                > All and any comments are very welcome, as well as suggestions for
                > polishing what I hope to be an enlightening experience.

              • Dennis Newson
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
                  Rita,

                  Thanks very much for that reference on how to tag within Wordpress. I'm
                  working my way through it.

                  Dennis

                • Jane Petring
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 2, 2007
                    Rita,
                    I love the idea of your serendipity project and was quite moved by Steve Jobs' speech--especially his story about calligraphy. If I can work it into the curriculum with my advanced students next fall, I'll get my students to write about their serendipitous experiences as well.

                    Jane

                    Jobs speech:
                    http://www.youtube com/watch? v=D1R-jKKp3NA