CPsquare dialog meeting with Portuguese Webheads

  • susannenyrop
    Message 1 of 15 , May 31 3:28 AM
      Dear Teresa and Fernanda, and all good webheads

      I just came back from a lively 5 days Dialog meetings in Portugal
      invited by CPsquare. This was my first opportunity to meet live with
      about 18 people and collaborate on real work, plus having set two days
      aside for semi structured dialog sessions on how to work from a
      community of practice aspect in organisations, education and community.

      We had a guest evening in Setubal (where we stayed outside of town )
      and we invited Teresa and Fernanda as local representatives and role
      models for Becoming Webheads in Action. I can tell you that Webheads
      have become pretty famous in this context as inspiration for
      innovative teacher professional community building online.

      One of our practice tasks was to convene workshops for THEKA school
      librarians (in Porto) on web 2.0 for community of practice building
      as a follow up on sessions with Etienne Wenger - an event which
      helped us form d hoc groups and motivate participants to get into
      their own dialogs.

      Another task was validation of a EU project on social inclusion, EQUAL
      where web 2.0 was used for empowerment of community building. Both of
      these projects had Beverly Trayner as leader and she beautifully
      managed to prepare and keep the flame burning for our collaboration
      project as well as for our dialogs, our household practicalities and
      transport arrangements. Kudos to this ladylike bunch of sparkling energy!!

      I've been priviledged to meet and work for almost a week with people
      like Bronwyn Stuckey and Nancy White whom I already met online in the
      Networking 2002 conference, and with veteran CPsquare leaders Etienne
      Wenger and John Smith.This seem like an old dream of mine coming true.
      And, I've been working on this for many years. So, being able to
      convene this Webheads /CPSQ dialog around a festive dinner table in a
      small restaurant in Setubal made me feel extremely happy.
      Message 2 of 15 , May 31 1:35 PM
        Dear Sus,

        It was a very special treat to meet you for the second time f2f five years
        later and be able to have dinner with you in Lisbon on May 22.

        I took Sus to the same place where Joao and I took Rita and Hector in Bairro
        Alto. We both had a very typical Portuguese dinner that started with green
        beans on a batter and then fried (peixinhos da horta or "little fish of the
        vegetabel garden"). We drank some nice wine, had a great talk, and then went
        for coffee at a local pub. As true Webheads, we didn't stop talking till I
        left Sus at her hotel.

        Then the CPSquare group was very nice to have Sus invite Fernanda and me for
        dinner last Sunday (May 27) in Setubal. In the true Webhead spirit, we
        hugged and hugged again when we met, and then had a nice talk over a glass
        of Moscatel, a local apperitif wine. As the CPSquare people came in, I met
        John Smith, Nancy White, Bron(wyn) Stuckey and Etienne Wenger, among others.
        A curiosity: we sat at the dinner table in alphabetical order of first
        names. It was a wonderful dinner at a local typical restaurant. There were
        20 of us. There were many short toasts, but my favourite was Bron's
        fantastic praise to Webheads: the warmest online community she's ever come
        across. And she came across several when doing research for her PhD diss. As
        Sus said, Webheads have made an impression on CPSquare.

        Thanks, Sus, for introducing me to this community! It was a very interesting
        experience.

        Hus, Teresa

        > Dear Teresa and Fernanda, and all good webheads
        >

        > I just came back from a lively 5 days Dialog meetings in Portugal
        > invited by CPsquare. This was my first opportunity to meet live with
        > about 18 people and collaborate on real work, plus having set two days
        > aside for semi structured dialog sessions on how to work from a
        > community of practice aspect in organisations, education and community.
        >
        > We had a guest evening in Setubal (where we stayed outside of town )
        > and we invited Teresa and Fernanda as local representatives and role
        > models for Becoming Webheads in Action. I can tell you that Webheads
        > have become pretty famous in this context as inspiration for
        > innovative teacher professional community building online.
        >
        > One of our practice tasks was to convene workshops for THEKA school
        > librarians (in Porto) on web 2.0 for community of practice building
        > as a follow up on sessions with Etienne Wenger - an event which
        > helped us form d hoc groups and motivate participants to get into
        > their own dialogs.
        >
        > Another task was validation of a EU project on social inclusion, EQUAL
        > where web 2.0 was used for empowerment of community building. Both of
        > these projects had Beverly Trayner as leader and she beautifully
        > managed to prepare and keep the flame burning for our collaboration
        > project as well as for our dialogs, our household practicalities and
        > transport arrangements. Kudos to this ladylike bunch of sparkling energy!!
        >
        > I've been priviledged to meet and work for almost a week with people
        > like Bronwyn Stuckey and Nancy White whom I already met online in the
        > Networking 2002 conference, and with veteran CPsquare leaders Etienne
        > Wenger and John Smith.This seem like an old dream of mine coming true.
        > And, I've been working on this for many years. So, being able to
        > convene this Webheads /CPSQ dialog around a festive dinner table in a
        > small restaurant in Setubal made me feel extremely happy.
      • Aiden Yeh
        Message 3 of 15 , May 31 5:40 PM
          Where are the pics?

          hugs,

          Aiden

          susannenyrop <netopnyrop@...> wrote: Dear Teresa and Fernanda, and all good webheads

          I just came back from a lively 5 days Dialog meetings in Portugal
          invited by CPsquare. This was my first opportunity to meet live with
          about 18 people and collaborate on real work, plus having set two days
          aside for semi structured dialog sessions on how to work from a
          community of practice aspect in organisations, education and community.

          <snip>

        • David Winet
          Message 4 of 15 , May 31 7:01 PM
            Dear All,

            While English looks to continue being the primary language of
            international communication, we think Spanish and Chinese are becoming at
            the very least regional linguae francae (I hope that's the Latin
            plural...) and so want to offer them in the spirit of international
            communication and cultural diversity.

            Thus StudyCom (http://www.study.com) is going to add Spanish and Chinese
            to its class offerings and so would like to encourage any of you so
            inclined to volunteer to teach either of those world languages, including
            in Second Life!

            Thanks in advance,

            Sincerely,

            David Winet, coordinator
            StudyCom
            http://www.study.com

            MSN Msgr: dwinet@...
            Skype: dwinet
            Yahoo Messenger: not_ants
            Message 5 of 15 , May 31 11:42 PM
              Great news David. As a long-time supporter and affiliate of Study.com -
              most people in the know have realized by now that Webheads got its START
              with study.com - and having paid some dues as a teacher both with study.com
              and Webheads, I would like to volunteer as a LEARNER in your new projects.

              Sign me up!

              > While English looks to continue being the primary language of
              > international communication, we think Spanish and Chinese are becoming at
              > the very least regional linguae francae (I hope that's the Latin
              > plural...) and so want to offer them in the spirit of international
              > communication and cultural diversity.
              >
              > Thus StudyCom (http://www.study.com) is going to add Spanish and Chinese
              > to its class offerings and so would like to encourage any of you so
              > inclined to volunteer to teach either of those world languages, including
              > in Second Life!
              >
              > Thanks in advance,
              >
              > Sincerely,
              >
              > David Winet, coordinator
              > StudyCom
              > http://www.study.com
              >
              > MSN Msgr: dwinet@...
              > Skype: dwinet
              > Yahoo Messenger: not_ants
              >

              > For more information:

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • John Hibbs
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 1, 2007
                Susan, this is great stuff...Congratultions. Can you send us some
                more URL's to look at? Including your own contact information, bio
                details, etc. etc.

                Also, forgive my decision not to snip Susan's post. If you missed it,
                worth reading. If you skimmed over it, worth reading a second time.
                You Webheads do more than "just" teach English...a LOT more!

                At 10:28 AM +0000 5/31/07, susannenyrop wrote:
                >Dear Teresa and Fernanda, and all good webheads
                >

                >I just came back from a lively 5 days Dialog meetings in Portugal
                >invited by CPsquare. This was my first opportunity to meet live with
                >about 18 people and collaborate on real work, plus having set two days
                >aside for semi structured dialog sessions on how to work from a
                >community of practice aspect in organisations, education and community.
                >
                >We had a guest evening in Setubal (where we stayed outside of town )
                >and we invited Teresa and Fernanda as local representatives and role
                >models for Becoming Webheads in Action. I can tell you that Webheads
                >have become pretty famous in this context as inspiration for
                >innovative teacher professional community building online.
                >
                >One of our practice tasks was to convene workshops for THEKA school
                >librarians (in Porto) on web 2.0 for community of practice building
                >as a follow up on sessions with Etienne Wenger - an event which
                >helped us form d hoc groups and motivate participants to get into
                >their own dialogs.
                >
                >Another task was validation of a EU project on social inclusion, EQUAL
                >where web 2.0 was used for empowerment of community building. Both of
                >these projects had Beverly Trayner as leader and she beautifully
                >managed to prepare and keep the flame burning for our collaboration
                >project as well as for our dialogs, our household practicalities and
                >transport arrangements. Kudos to this ladylike bunch of sparkling energy!!
                >
                >I've been priviledged to meet and work for almost a week with people
                >like Bronwyn Stuckey and Nancy White whom I already met online in the
                >Networking 2002 conference, and with veteran CPsquare leaders Etienne
                >Wenger and John Smith.This seem like an old dream of mine coming true.
                >And, I've been working on this for many years. So, being able to
                >convene this Webheads /CPSQ dialog around a festive dinner table in a
                >small restaurant in Setubal made me feel extremely happy.

              • YD Chen
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 2, 2007
                  Hi,David,
                  I have been waiting for this moment for years.Once i am enrolled in your project,my students will following suits.We will all be volunteers in your Chinese project.
                  Can you talk to us on Skype next week? We are online 4 times a week:
                  1. Monday morning (from 8 to 10)
                  2. Wednesday moring ( 8 to 10)
                  3. Thursday moring ( 8 to 10)
                  4.Friday afternoon ( 2:30 to 4:10 )
                  We are GMT+8.
                  Regards,
                  yaodong

                  Vance Stevens <vstevens@...> wrote:
                  Great news David. As a long-time supporter and affiliate of Study.com -
                  most people in the know have realized by now that Webheads got its START
                  with study.com - and having paid some dues as a teacher both with study.com
                  and Webheads, I would like to volunteer as a LEARNER in your new projects.

                  Sign me up!

                  > While English looks to continue being the primary language of
                  > international communication, we think Spanish and Chinese are becoming at
                  > the very least regional linguae francae (I hope that's the Latin
                  > plural...) and so want to offer them in the spirit of international
                  > communication and cultural diversity.
                  >
                  > Thus StudyCom (http://www.study.com) is going to add Spanish and Chinese
                  > to its class offerings and so would like to encourage any of you so
                  > inclined to volunteer to teach either of those world languages, including
                  > in Second Life!
                  >
                  > Thanks in advance,
                  >
                  > Sincerely,
                  >
                  > David Winet, coordinator
                  > StudyCom
                  > http://www.study.com
                  >
                  > MSN Msgr: dwinet@...
                  > Skype: dwinet
                  > Yahoo Messenger: not_ants
                  >

                  > For more information:

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Fernanda Rodrigues
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 3, 2007
                    Hi Aiden
                    You can see some pictures here.
                    It was great to meet Sus! Thank you for the invitation!

                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/44124287188@N01/show/

                    Fernanda

                    On Thu, 31 May 2007 17:40:58 -0700 (PDT)
                    Aiden Yeh <aidenyeh@...> wrote:

                    > Where are the pics?
                    >
                    > hugs,
                    >
                    > Aiden
                    >

                    > susannenyrop <netopnyrop@...> wrote: Dear Teresa and Fernanda, and all good webheads
                    >
                    > I just came back from a lively 5 days Dialog meetings in Portugal
                    > invited by CPsquare. This was my first opportunity to meet live with
                    > about 18 people and collaborate on real work, plus having set two days
                    > aside for semi structured dialog sessions on how to work from a
                    > community of practice aspect in organisations, education and community.
                    >
                    > <snip>

                  • cristina costa
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 3, 2007
                      What a feast I missed!

                      Man... I am never in the country at the right time!

                      Great photos. Thanks Fernanda!

                      Where was that restaurant?

                      I am coming to Lisbon on the 6th June. Jane
                      Petring will be join us. We will have another webhead party with the Lisbon webheads. HURRAY! Anyone
                      wanting to join us?

                      Cris

                      Aiden Yeh <aidenyeh@yahoo. com> wrote:

                      > Where are the pics?

                      > hugs,

                      > Aiden

                      > susannenyrop <netopnyrop@gmail. com> wrote: Dear Teresa and Fernanda, and all good webheads

                      > I just came back from a lively 5 days Dialog meetings in Portugal

                      > invited by CPsquare. This was my first opportunity to meet live with

                      > about 18 people and collaborate on real work, plus having set two days

                      > aside for semi structured dialog sessions on how to work from a

                      > community of practice aspect in organisations, education and community.

                      > <snip>

                      <!--

                      #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                      #ygrp-text{
                      font-family:Georgia;
                      }
                      #ygrp-text p{
                      margin:0 0 1em 0;}
                      #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                      font-family:Arial;
                      clear:both;}
                      #ygrp-vitnav{
                      #ygrp-vitnav a{
                      padding:0 1px;}
                      #ygrp-actbar{
                      #ygrp-actbar .left{
                      float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
                      .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                      #ygrp-grft{
                      #ygrp-ft{
                      padding:5px 0;
                      }
                      #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                      padding-bottom:10px;}

                      #ygrp-vital{
                      #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                      #ygrp-vital ul{
                      padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
                      #ygrp-vital ul li{
                      }
                      #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                      #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                      font-weight:bold;}
                      #ygrp-vital a {
                      text-decoration:none;}

                      #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                      text-decoration:underline;}

                      #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                      color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                      padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                      text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                      #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                      padding:8px 0;}
                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                      text-decoration:none;}
                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                      text-decoration:underline;}
                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                      margin:0;}
                      o {font-size:0;}
                      .MsoNormal {
                      margin:0 0 0 0;}
                      #ygrp-text tt{
                      font-size:120%;}
                      blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                      .replbq {margin:4;}
                      -->

                    • Aiden Yeh
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 3, 2007
                        Lovely pictures, Fernanda. Thanks for sharing them with us.

                        Aiden

                        http://www.flickr com/photos/ 44124287188@ N01/show/

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 4, 2007
                          Great pics, Fernanda! Good to see you all together.
                          Warm regards from Brazil,
                          Bee

                          --
                          Barbara Dieu
                          http://dekita.org

                        • Gladys Baya
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 17, 2007
                            Today I found the time to visit Study website... I found a schedule
                            for English, and one for Chinese classes... and that's it!

                            What's happened with Spanish classes? Has that project been called
                            off? I thought I might get a few teachers interested for volunteers in
                            that language, but first I'd ned to find out what it demands! (you
                            see, I haven't heard about study.com before).

                            Intigued,

                            Gladys

                            Chinese to its class offerings and so would like to encourage any of
                            you so inclined to volunteer to teach either of those world languages,
                            including in Second Life!
                          • Alicia
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 17, 2007
                              Just visited and had the same impression about study.com.

                              I even thought its web was going to be more attractive as well....

                              Hope to hear some news, specially about teaching english or spanish in SL.

                              alicia

                            • Moira Hunter

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 18, 2007
                                  Dear All,

                                  StudyCom has found one teacher for Spanish but still would like more if
                                  anyone is interested in volunteering.

                                  You could teach either synchronously, asynchronously or a combination.
                                  You can use your own materials. Two hours a week and a three month
                                  commitment are what we usually request.

                                  Please contact me directly if you think you might want to teach on
                                  StudyCom and I'll furnish you with more details.

                                  The website *is* horrible. But most of what happens in StudyCom
                                  happens in the webconferencing rooms or in Second Life. The website is
                                  basically a jumping-off point.... One of these days it'll get a makeover
                                  and be able to walk the red carpet with the rich and beautiful sites...

                                  Thanks,

                                  Dave Winet, coordinator
                                  http://www.study.com