A question for the experienced Second Lifers

  • cristina costa
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2007
      Dear all,
      there is a question about SL running in Emerge about its effectiveness
      with=
      in the educational context. They are asking for successful examples.

      Maybe you can give us a help by providing am insight of your
      experiences.

      http://emerge.elgg.org/muve/weblog/266.html

      thanks
      Kindly,

      Cris

    • Gavin Dudeney
      Message 2 of 6 , May 4, 2007
        Cris,

        One of the biggest success stories is Intellagirl Tully (aka Sara Robbins)
        and her college course in creative writing and rhetoric. Check out

        http://eng104sl.intellagirl.com/index.php?option=com_content
        <http://eng104sl.intellagirl.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1
        3&Itemid=27> &task=view&id=13&Itemid=27

        and

        http://www.secondlife.intellagirl.com/

        Hope that helps,

        Gavin

        c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain

        Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770

        <http://www.theconsultants-e.com/> http://www.theconsultants-e.com

        Winners, 2007 British Council ELTON awards - <http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54>
        http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54

        Owners of the Second Life sim EduNation - <http://tinyurl.com/yehbto>
        http://tinyurl.com/yehbto

        Sponsors of the 2006 UK Moodle Conference - <http://www.moodlemoot.org/>
        http://www.moodlemoot.org

        CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE

        Message 3 of 6 , May 6, 2007
          Thanks Gavin,
          I already went to the site, but it is a little bit confusing. I will have to explore it more, I guess.
          Thanks for the prompt feedback. I really appreciated it.
          Dave Tosh, one of the developers of Elgg, is also questioning about the benefits of SL here: http://eduspaces.net/dtosh/weblog/

          Maybe you can report on your experience there.

          Thanks again.
          Cris

          Gavin Dudeney <gavin.dudeney@...> escreveu: Cris,

          Message 4 of 6 , May 6, 2007
            Cris,

            To be honest, I’m fine with people not getting it. I, for example, don’t get
            Twitter – why should I want to know what someone is doing every 15 minutes
            of their life? But other people rave about it.

            I think if people don’t get Second Life, then they should just forget about
            it. I’ve lost a lot of hours over the past month defending SL and I finally
            asked myself what the point was... Why did I find it necessary to do that?

            I’ve had some amazing experiences in SL, and trained over 50 college level
            educators to use it in their jobs, but I really don’t think it’s worth
            defending, as such (at least that’s the point of view I’m gradually coming
            round to). I think SL is like mushrooms – either you like them or you
            don’t.... if you don’t, then don’t eat them (or use it, in the case of
            SL)....

            Lazy Sunday reaction, I reckon J

[...]

            <mailto:gavin.dudeney%40theconsultants-e.com> > escreveu: Cris,

            Message 5 of 6 , May 6, 2007
              Well,
              I still haven't made up my mind about SL.
              I need to explore it more.
              But I want to hear both sides of the story!
              Thanks!