A question for the experienced Second Lifers

  • cristina costa
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2007
      Dear all,
      there is a question about SL running in Emerge about its effectiveness within the educational context. They are asking for successful examples.

      Maybe you can give us a help by providing am insight of your experiences.

      http://emerge.elgg.org/muve/weblog/266.html

      thanks
      Kindly,

      Cris

    • cristina costa

        Message 3 of 6 , May 4, 2007
          Cris,

          One of the biggest success stories is Intellagirl Tully (aka Sara Robbins)
          and her college course in creative writing and rhetoric. Check out

          http://eng104sl.intellagirl.com/index.php?option=com_content
          <http://eng104sl.intellagirl.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1
          3&Itemid=27> &task=view&id=13&Itemid=27

          and

          http://www.secondlife.intellagirl.com/

          Hope that helps,

          Gavin

          c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain

          Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770

          <http://www.theconsultants-e.com/> http://www.theconsultants-e.com

          Winners, 2007 British Council ELTON awards - <http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54>
          http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54

          Owners of the Second Life sim EduNation - <http://tinyurl.com/yehbto>
          http://tinyurl.com/yehbto

          Sponsors of the 2006 UK Moodle Conference - <http://www.moodlemoot.org/>
          http://www.moodlemoot.org

          CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE

          Message 4 of 6 , May 6, 2007
            Thanks Gavin,
            I already went to the site, but it is a little bit confusing. I will have to explore it more, I guess.
            Thanks for the prompt feedback. I really appreciated it.
            Dave Tosh, one of the developers of Elgg, is also questioning about the benefits of SL here: http://eduspaces.net/dtosh/weblog/

            Maybe you can report on your experience there.

            Thanks again.
            Cris

            Gavin Dudeney <gavin.dudeney@...> escreveu: Cris,

            Message 5 of 6 , May 6, 2007
              Cris,

              To be honest, I’m fine with people not getting it. I, for example, don’t get
              Twitter – why should I want to know what someone is doing every 15 minutes
              of their life? But other people rave about it.

              I think if people don’t get Second Life, then they should just forget about
              it. I’ve lost a lot of hours over the past month defending SL and I finally
              asked myself what the point was... Why did I find it necessary to do that?

              I’ve had some amazing experiences in SL, and trained over 50 college level
              educators to use it in their jobs, but I really don’t think it’s worth
              defending, as such (at least that’s the point of view I’m gradually coming
              round to). I think SL is like mushrooms – either you like them or you
              don’t.... if you don’t, then don’t eat them (or use it, in the case of
              SL)....

              Lazy Sunday reaction, I reckon J

[...]

              <mailto:gavin.dudeney%40theconsultants-e.com> > escreveu: Cris,

              Message 6 of 6 , May 6, 2007
                Well,
                I still haven't made up my mind about SL.
                I need to explore it more.
                But I want to hear both sides of the story!
                Thanks!