Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Elgg and Blackboard

  • cristina costa
    Message 1 of 9 , May 4, 2007
      I couldn't agree more with you Bee.
      That’s exactly the feeling many educators are conveying here. Fear to lose “their control”, but like Vance also points out haven’t they already? Our kids are using technology at home, in cybercafés, at their friends’, or any place they can have access to a connection. We cannot also forget that we are going mobile here. And they are using all those tool freely available on the WWW with proficiency. The greatest challenge for the educators now is not to prevent the students from using it, but to give then the educational perspective, by making them experience the web with an educational touch. We have to accept the fact: technology is here and it came to stay. It is part of our lives. Make the best of it.
      I can give you a practical example:
      Yesterday, after talking to Ramona about her kids – I am still amazingly delighted at Maria and her little friends for creating their own blogs out of their own willing – I got to know that they are all now in this MUVE (check this article: http://tinyurl.com/2vh3ng ) called ClubPenguin and I decided to have a look at it.
      I had to sign up for it. Kids under 13 need parental approval. I could sign up on my own, but somehow it didn’t please me that much. I ex-lain why: The site seems to be very well structured and with nice guidelines. They warn the kids not to use unappropiate language to make friends, to go around and find out of is there for them, etc.
      What I didn’t really appreciate that much was the fact that they had subscriptions categorized by the following ages: 8-under (with an image of a penguin happily swinging); 9-12 (the penguin is sitting on a buoy); 13-17 (the penguin is cheerfully skating) and Really old. Really old????????! – That is the next category (the penguin is already using a walking stick and looking very tired). And guess what? That is the category I belong to! Scary, ha! I thought I was still young.
      And so I wondered, am I just really old to get into ClubPenguin or am I getting old to start my way into using this kind of tools?
      Once again, I can only conclude that we cannot overlook this reality and try to confine our learners (they are not students anymore – they are essentially learners growing more independent each other minute they spend online). We have to play the game. We have to mingle and fit in in their reality while guiding them in their learning.

      And today I really feel I need to evoke a Portuguese – very wise – saying. It is never late to learn.
      There is still hope!
      :-)
      Cris

      Barbara Dieu <beeonline@...> escreveu: > I think school districts (K-12) feel safer if they can lock out most
      > of the Web. So Blackboard can be run on an internal server and the
      > kiddies never leave it. This is a real shame, but with freedom comes
      > risks.

      It is so much easier to accept it all and compromise, isn´t it? So
      much easier to think you are "safe" and not think of what may happen
      to you. But then the price you pay is to be locked in and have it
      happening to you anyway (and the shock is terrible because you thought
      you were protected)
      Education is also learning how to face risks to be able to enjoy freedom :-)

      "Freedom is not merely the opportunity to do as one pleases; neither
      is it merely the opportunity to choose between set alternatives.
      Freedom is, first of all, the chance to formulate the available
      choices, to argue over them -- and then, the opportunity to choose."
      C. Wright Mills

      This discussion (and many others) could go on for hours over some nice
      glasses of wine. We must do this next time we meet :-)
      Warm regards from Brazil,
      Bee

      Cris