Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Elgg and Blackboard

    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2007
      I was listening to one of Wesley Fryer's recent podcasts while out jogging
      last night and he had some interesting analogies regarding net freedom vs
      lockdown of Internet. He said he used to work at Texas Tech which had no
      sex education program plus one of the largest instances of STD and unwanted
      pregnancies in the nation, point being it's probably best to discuss these
      things openly within a community. He asked the audience who had a pencil on
      them and what could you do with that pencil (topic being net bullying at
      that point) and he noted Sheryl Nussbaum-Beach's analogy of running with
      scissors. You don't block scissors from your classroom, you make sure
      people know how to regulate their use of them. There are famous cases in
      the US of teachers being prosecuted for accidentally flashing porn in class,
      the judicial system assuming that any such instance is purposeful and
      perverse. As a result, one school Wesley knew of had blocked even Google.
      What kind of education are students getting there, one wonders? Answer,
      they use MySpace at home obviously, far from the mediating influence of the
      so called 'education' system. There are numerous discussions of these and
      many such issues on the Worldbridges network. Jeff Lebow mentioned on a
      recent EdTechWeekly (his turn) that DOPA had at least been voted down in
      Congress. One glimmer of light in an otherwise bleak horizon.

      I think moving this discussion to the Weinstubben is an excellent idea ...

      Message 2 of 9 , May 4, 2007
        I couldn't agree more with you Bee.
        That’s exactly the feeling many educators are conveying here. Fear to lose “their control”, but like Vance also points out haven’t they already? Our kids are using technology at home, in cybercafés, at their friends’, or any place they can have access to a connection. We cannot also forget that we are going mobile here. And they are using all those tool freely available on the WWW with proficiency. The greatest challenge for the educators now is not to prevent the students from using it, but to give then the educational perspective, by making them experience the web with an educational touch. We have to accept the fact: technology is here and it came to stay. It is part of our lives. Make the best of it.
        I can give you a practical example:
        Yesterday, after talking to Ramona about her kids – I am still amazingly delighted at Maria and her little friends for creating their own blogs out of their own willing – I got to know that they are all now in this MUVE (check this article: http://tinyurl.com/2vh3ng ) called ClubPenguin and I decided to have a look at it.
        I had to sign up for it. Kids under 13 need parental approval. I could sign up on my own, but somehow it didn’t please me that much. I ex-lain why: The site seems to be very well structured and with nice guidelines. They warn the kids not to use unappropiate language to make friends, to go around and find out of is there for them, etc.
        What I didn’t really appreciate that much was the fact that they had subscriptions categorized by the following ages: 8-under (with an image of a penguin happily swinging); 9-12 (the penguin is sitting on a buoy); 13-17 (the penguin is cheerfully skating) and Really old. Really old????????! – That is the next category (the penguin is already using a walking stick and looking very tired). And guess what? That is the category I belong to! Scary, ha! I thought I was still young.
        And so I wondered, am I just really old to get into ClubPenguin or am I getting old to start my way into using this kind of tools?
        Once again, I can only conclude that we cannot overlook this reality and try to confine our learners (they are not students anymore – they are essentially learners growing more independent each other minute they spend online). We have to play the game. We have to mingle and fit in in their reality while guiding them in their learning.

        And today I really feel I need to evoke a Portuguese – very wise – saying. It is never late to learn.
        There is still hope!
        :-)
        Cris

        Barbara Dieu <beeonline@...> escreveu: > I think school districts (K-12) feel safer if they can lock out most