Elgg and Blackboard

  • cristina costa
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2007
      Hi there,

      I would like to ask you if any of you is using Elgg within Blackboard. http://curverider.co.uk/

      If so, what do you think of it?

      thanks
      Cris

    • Barbara Dieu
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2007
        Why would anyone want to use Elgg within Blackboard or vice-versa, I
        wonder. Can anyone give me this answer?
        Warm regards from Brazil,
        Bee

        Barbara Dieu
        http://dekita.org
        http://beewebhead.net
      • cristina costa
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2007
          That's what why was wondering.
          But since it is says in their site that it integrates with Blackboard; Drupal; MediaWiki; Moodle; WebCT. I was wondering if someone was using it from that perspective.

          I don't have many experience with Elgg, but it seems a robust tool. Any thoughts on this?

          beijinhos
          Cris

          Barbara Dieu <beeonline@...> escreveu: Why would anyone want to use Elgg within Blackboard or vice-versa, I
          wonder. Can anyone give me this answer?
          Warm regards from Brazil,
          Bee

          Barbara Dieu
          http://dekita.org
          http://beewebhead.net

          Cris

        • Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2007
            Hi Bee--
            I'm answering as a philosophical question, not a pedagogical one:

            I think safety and security has been a major concern for schools, and
            that's why CMSs have been trying to incorporate blogs and wikis and
            other social Web apps into their own space.

            For commercial language schools it may also be a way to keep
            everything in-house. Once people start finding out about all the free
            stuff out there, more and more are heading into Cyberland. A number of
            US schools, for instance are moving from WebCT/Blackboard to free Moodle.

            My 2¢

            Cheers--
            --Elizabeth

            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Dieu"
            <beeonline@...> wrote:

            > Why would anyone want to use Elgg within Blackboard or vice-versa, I
            > wonder. Can anyone give me this answer?
            > Warm regards from Brazil,
            > Bee
            >
            > Barbara Dieu
            > http://dekita.org
            > http://beewebhead.net

          • Barbara Dieu
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2007
              > I think safety and security has been a major concern for schools, and
              > that's why CMSs have been trying to incorporate blogs and wikis and
              > other social Web apps into their own space.

              Thank you, Elizabeth for your prompt answer. I understand the security
              issues and wanting to keep order . However, Elgg has always offered
              quite a number of security options (levels of privacy of documents and
              posts) and so have many blogs (Wordpress allows several levels as
              well) Wikis that you install on your server or pay for can be used
              with a password and only viewed by the group working in it.

              I suppose Blackboard (and Moodle) is needed because it is difficult
              to let go the control. This is still strong in some institutions and
              this is how some evaluate participation - who logged, how many times,
              how long they stayed (which does not measure quality...like being in a
              classroom at school or paying for a course does not mean you are
              connected or learning ...sometimes quite the opposite). Oh well...

              Warm regards from Brazil,
              Bee

              --
              Barbara Dieu
              http://dekita.org
              Message 6 of 9 , May 3, 2007
                Bee--
                By security, teachers/administrators in schools mean staying at the
                one site. Just recently I read that an educator faced a possible long
                prison term because students managed to get onto a pornography site
                while she was out of the room!
                I think school districts (K-12) feel safer if they can lock out most
                of the Web. So Blackboard can be run on an internal server and the
                kiddies never leave it. This is a real shame, but with freedom comes
                risks.

                <beeonline@...> wrote:

                > > I think safety and security has been a major concern for schools, and
                > > that's why CMSs have been trying to incorporate blogs and wikis and
                > > other social Web apps into their own space.
                >
                > Thank you, Elizabeth for your prompt answer. I understand the security
                > issues and wanting to keep order . However, Elgg has always offered
                > quite a number of security options (levels of privacy of documents and
                > posts) and so have many blogs (Wordpress allows several levels as
                > well) Wikis that you install on your server or pay for can be used
                > with a password and only viewed by the group working in it.
                >
                > I suppose Blackboard (and Moodle) is needed because it is difficult
                > to let go the control. This is still strong in some institutions and
                > this is how some evaluate participation - who logged, how many times,
                > how long they stayed (which does not measure quality...like being in a
                > classroom at school or paying for a course does not mean you are
                > connected or learning ...sometimes quite the opposite). Oh well...
                >
                > Warm regards from Brazil,
                > Bee
                >
                > --
                > Barbara Dieu
                > http://dekita.org
                > http://beewebhead.net

              • Barbara Dieu
                Message 7 of 9 , May 3, 2007
                  > I think school districts (K-12) feel safer if they can lock out most
                  > of the Web. So Blackboard can be run on an internal server and the
                  > kiddies never leave it. This is a real shame, but with freedom comes
                  > risks.

                  It is so much easier to accept it all and compromise, isn´t it? So
                  much easier to think you are "safe" and not think of what may happen
                  to you. But then the price you pay is to be locked in and have it
                  happening to you anyway (and the shock is terrible because you thought
                  you were protected)
                  Education is also learning how to face risks to be able to enjoy freedom :-)

                  "Freedom is not merely the opportunity to do as one pleases; neither
                  is it merely the opportunity to choose between set alternatives.
                  Freedom is, first of all, the chance to formulate the available
                  choices, to argue over them -- and then, the opportunity to choose."
                  C. Wright Mills

                  This discussion (and many others) could go on for hours over some nice
                  glasses of wine. We must do this next time we meet :-)
                  Warm regards from Brazil,
                  Bee

                  --
                  Barbara Dieu
                  http://dekita.org
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 3, 2007
                    I was listening to one of Wesley Fryer's recent podcasts while out jogging
                    last night and he had some interesting analogies regarding net freedom vs
                    lockdown of Internet. He said he used to work at Texas Tech which had no
                    sex education program plus one of the largest instances of STD and unwanted
                    pregnancies in the nation, point being it's probably best to discuss these
                    things openly within a community. He asked the audience who had a pencil on
                    them and what could you do with that pencil (topic being net bullying at
                    that point) and he noted Sheryl Nussbaum-Beach's analogy of running with
                    scissors. You don't block scissors from your classroom, you make sure
                    people know how to regulate their use of them. There are famous cases in
                    the US of teachers being prosecuted for accidentally flashing porn in class,
                    the judicial system assuming that any such instance is purposeful and
                    perverse. As a result, one school Wesley knew of had blocked even Google.
                    What kind of education are students getting there, one wonders? Answer,
                    they use MySpace at home obviously, far from the mediating influence of the
                    so called 'education' system. There are numerous discussions of these and
                    many such issues on the Worldbridges network. Jeff Lebow mentioned on a
                    recent EdTechWeekly (his turn) that DOPA had at least been voted down in
                    Congress. One glimmer of light in an otherwise bleak horizon.

                    I think moving this discussion to the Weinstubben is an excellent idea ...

                    > I think school districts (K-12) feel safer if they can lock out most
                    > of the Web. So Blackboard can be run on an internal server and the
                    > kiddies never leave it. This is a real shame, but with freedom comes
                    > risks.

                    It is so much easier to accept it all and compromise, isn´t it? So
                    much easier to think you are "safe" and not think of what may happen
                    to you. But then the price you pay is to be locked in and have it
                    happening to you anyway (and the shock is terrible because you thought
                    you were protected)
                    Education is also learning how to face risks to be able to enjoy freedom :-)

                    "Freedom is not merely the opportunity to do as one pleases; neither
                    is it merely the opportunity to choose between set alternatives.
                    Freedom is, first of all, the chance to formulate the available
                    choices, to argue over them -- and then, the opportunity to choose."
                    C. Wright Mills

                    This discussion (and many others) could go on for hours over some nice
                    glasses of wine. We must do this next time we meet :-)
                    Warm regards from Brazil,
                    Bee

                    --
                    Barbara Dieu
                    http://dekita.org
                    http://beewebhead.net

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • cristina costa
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 4, 2007
                      I couldn't agree more with you Bee.
                      That’s exactly the feeling many educators are conveying here. Fear to lose “their control”, but like Vance also points out haven’t they already? Our kids are using technology at home, in cybercafés, at their friends’, or any place they can have access to a connection. We cannot also forget that we are going mobile here. And they are using all those tool freely available on the WWW with proficiency. The greatest challenge for the educators now is not to prevent the students from using it, but to give then the educational perspective, by making them experience the web with an educational touch. We have to accept the fact: technology is here and it came to stay. It is part of our lives. Make the best of it.
                      I can give you a practical example:
                      Yesterday, after talking to Ramona about her kids – I am still amazingly delighted at Maria and her little friends for creating their own blogs out of their own willing – I got to know that they are all now in this MUVE (check this article: http://tinyurl.com/2vh3ng ) called ClubPenguin and I decided to have a look at it.
                      I had to sign up for it. Kids under 13 need parental approval. I could sign up on my own, but somehow it didn’t please me that much. I ex-lain why: The site seems to be very well structured and with nice guidelines. They warn the kids not to use unappropiate language to make friends, to go around and find out of is there for them, etc.
                      What I didn’t really appreciate that much was the fact that they had subscriptions categorized by the following ages: 8-under (with an image of a penguin happily swinging); 9-12 (the penguin is sitting on a buoy); 13-17 (the penguin is cheerfully skating) and Really old. Really old????????! – That is the next category (the penguin is already using a walking stick and looking very tired). And guess what? That is the category I belong to! Scary, ha! I thought I was still young.
                      And so I wondered, am I just really old to get into ClubPenguin or am I getting old to start my way into using this kind of tools?
                      Once again, I can only conclude that we cannot overlook this reality and try to confine our learners (they are not students anymore – they are essentially learners growing more independent each other minute they spend online). We have to play the game. We have to mingle and fit in in their reality while guiding them in their learning.

                      And today I really feel I need to evoke a Portuguese – very wise – saying. It is never late to learn.
                      There is still hope!
                      :-)
                      Cris

                      Barbara Dieu <beeonline@...> escreveu: > I think school districts (K-12) feel safer if they can lock out most