Re: [evonline2002_webheads] An incredible Web 2.0 Experience

  • Elderbob
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 23, 2007
      I know that your querry, seems quite simple on the surface, but it brings to
      mind something that I have put a good bit of thought into...the ethics of
      approaching someone to be interviewed. With the horrible events of
      Virginia, last week, it has been foremost in my mind.

      Let me explain.

      After I set up the original dialogue with the 4th graders from Nevada and
      the 8th graders in Virginia, I begun to have some regret. Originally, I
      think I had hoped the story would generate some "sympathy" for the situation
      of the young girl in Nevada....but it also was intended to get people to
      respond to me. It gave me a very uneasy feeling about using her misfortune
      as a stepping stool for my own motivation. Additionally, much of what is
      heard in the audio is scripted. Or at least the questions were, and I know
      that the 4th graders were well versed about what appropriate answers they
      might give....at least those in the class room, I am not so sure about the
      young lady enduring her stay at home. I was hit with the urgency of "this
      has to happen now, because she might not be here tomorrow" and that in
      itself was a very uncomfortable feeling. In retrospect, I dont think the
      kids suffered as much from these emotions as I did.

      Had I the same project to do over again, I would look for some deeper
      motivation. And perhaps your efforts already contain that. I do not teach
      young folks and I do not know how well they handle concepts such as illness
      and disability, but I am concerned that interacting with the 4th graders
      might be a bit over the edge. On the other hand, Lee Baber's class seems
      more interested in how to create content using media such as Skype and
      Webcasting. I suspect that they would be far more interested in your
      project, and perhaps more emotionally prepared to deal with your group of
      young folks (I really hate to use the word 'disabled' or 'handi-capped'.)
      Additionally, I think they are more prepared, technologically, to do what
      you are asking. In my mind, I would far rather you approach them.

      Finally, I referenced the situation that occured at Virginia Tech last
      week. New reporters were interviewing everyone that moved.... They asked
      questions to get at information that they perceived as 'news', but now I
      wonder how much of the 'news' is just meant for titillation to get folks
      interested in reading someone's article. Last night, over the radio, I
      heard a number of the students ask that news reporter not return to the
      campus to ask questions. I doubt that many news organizations will heed
      this requests, but it sort of confirms some of my thoughts about the ethics
      of the questioning of victims of all sorts of circumstances. I personally,
      would rather know that the students at Virginia Tech and those of other
      circumstances, perhaps the young lady in Nevada, just be allowed to get on
      with their lives. I wish I had done a better job of ensuring her approval
      before I included her in our interview.

      Just my two cents.

      Regarding your project: I think it is a terrific idea and one that
      definitely has potential and warrants a lot of thought and preparation. If
      I can assist in anyway, please let me know.

      elderbob