Re: An incredible Web 2.0 Experience

  • Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2007
      Great job again, Elderbob--
      I wrote a note or two.
      Sorry we couldn't see you in Seattle!
      Cheers--
      --Elizabeth

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Elderbob <elderbob@...>
      wrote:

      > Last week, I had a wonderful experience that I think represents one
      of the
      > really useful ways that Skype is being used in the classroom.
      Perhaps it
      > goes a long way in saying something about Web 2.0 and how it
      enhances our
      > community.
      >
      > Brian Crosby and his Nevada class of 4th graders include a student whose
      > medical condition precludes her from attending regular classroom
      > activities. So with a little leg-work and hand-shaking, Brian got some
      > community members to provide a home link-up for the child who can't
      attend.
      > The story of how it was done and what the class is doing got my
      attention
      > and I wanted to learn more. I contacted him, and having talked it
      over with
      > his class, they agreed to be interviewed by Lee Babers 8th class in
      Virginia
      > who man the webcasts at YouthBridges (the student version of
      WorldBridges).

      http://eldertown.wordpress.com/2007/03/29/the-spark-that-drives-web-20-technology-in-the-classroom/#more-109

      > Knowplace Blog – http://knowplace.ca/blog
      >
      > (These first two blogs are both my contributions and are essentially the
      > same.)
      >
      > Learning is Messy Blog - http://learningismessy.com/blog/?p=233
      >
      > (This is Brian Crosby's Sparks, Nevada Blog)
      >
      > YouthBridges - http://youthbridges.net/?q=node/35
      >
      > (and this is Lee Baber's Virginia YouthBridges edition)
      >
      > These kids would love it if you would post your thoughts to the various
      > blogs (and I would too).
      > Be sure to watch the videos, one was produced by the 4th grade class
      and the
      > other is news coverage of the same story.
      >
      > Thanks to all those who participated in the actual experience, and
      thank you
      > for reading.
      >
      > elderbob
      >
      > -- Helping folks understand that it's never too late to become all
      they ever
      > wanted to become.

    • Fernanda Rodrigues
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 22, 2007
        Hi Elderbob
        It has been my intention to reply to this email of yours, but I have
        been so busy that only now have the time to do it in a calm way.

        You see, your report interests me mostly. This year I am working with
        students/children who suffer from motor disabilities (mostly cerebral palsy) ,
        and chronic disease. Some of them are in hospital for long periods and
        attend hospital schools, others have to stay at home for long periods
        due to their condition. We have created a network of hospital schools
        and the children connect regularly to a state school in the area, using
        a ISDN line and a videoconferencing system called PictureTel. We call it
        TeleAula.
        As we have few resources and PictureTel is no longer produced and only
        works with windows 98 and similar systems are very expensive, we have
        started to experiment with connections using the Internet and Skype or
        other similar tools for those children who are at home.
        We have had problems with the sound quality. Sometimes the connection starts
        in good condition, but after a while there comes a noise which makes
        communication impossible. We have not figured out what causes the
        problem, perhaps the line conditions at schools - they have ADSL connections
        - or not enough broadband.
        Anyway, I thought it might be a good idea to try to get in touch with
        the Nevada class and the student who is at home, and perhaps organize a
        TeleAula with them. What do you think?

        Fernanda
        a Webhead in Portugal

        On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 13:46:12 -0500
        Elderbob <elderbob@...> wrote:

        > Last week, I had a wonderful experience that I think represents one of the
        > really useful ways that Skype is being used in the classroom. Perhaps it
        > goes a long way in saying something about Web 2.0 and how it enhances our
        > community.
        >
        > Brian Crosby and his Nevada class of 4th graders include a student whose
        > medical condition precludes her from attending regular classroom
        > activities. So with a little leg-work and hand-shaking, Brian got some
        > community members to provide a home link-up for the child who can't attend.
        > The story of how it was done and what the class is doing got my attention
        > and I wanted to learn more. I contacted him, and having talked it over with
        > his class, they agreed to be interviewed by Lee Babers 8th class in Virginia
        > who man the webcasts at YouthBridges (the student version of WorldBridges).
        >
        > WIth a bit of thought and collaboration, we finally succeeded in connecting
        > all the dots, and met last Thursday via Skype. There were a number of
        > connection and production problems but under it all was a humane interest in
        > how one class continued to include a student that otherwise would have been
        > disconnected. This was truly a "No Child Left Behind Story".
        >
        > In the end, I was able to edit out most of the technical glitches which
        > eventually resulted in a 21 minute interview of one class by the other. The
        > story is greater than that, and I have tried to piece together most of it in
        > a blog post. You can see any one of three versions of the story among the
        > blogs below:
        >
        > Eldertown - http://eldertown.wordpress.com/2007/03/29/the-spark-that-drives-web-20-technology-in-the-classroom/#more-109
        >

        > Knowplace Blog – http://knowplace.ca/blog
        >
        > (These first two blogs are both my contributions and are essentially the
        > same.)
        >
        > Learning is Messy Blog - http://learningismessy.com/blog/?p=233
        >
        > (This is Brian Crosby's Sparks, Nevada Blog)
        >
        > YouthBridges - http://youthbridges.net/?q=node/35
        >
        > (and this is Lee Baber's Virginia YouthBridges edition)
        >
        > These kids would love it if you would post your thoughts to the various
        > blogs (and I would too).
        > Be sure to watch the videos, one was produced by the 4th grade class and the
        > other is news coverage of the same story.
        >
        > Thanks to all those who participated in the actual experience, and thank you
        > for reading.
        >
        > elderbob
        >
        > -- Helping folks understand that it's never too late to become all they ever
        > wanted to become.
      • Elderbob
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 23, 2007
          I know that your querry, seems quite simple on the surface, but it brings to
          mind something that I have put a good bit of thought into...the ethics of
          approaching someone to be interviewed. With the horrible events of
          Virginia, last week, it has been foremost in my mind.

          Let me explain.

          After I set up the original dialogue with the 4th graders from Nevada and
          the 8th graders in Virginia, I begun to have some regret. Originally, I
          think I had hoped the story would generate some "sympathy" for the situation
          of the young girl in Nevada....but it also was intended to get people to
          respond to me. It gave me a very uneasy feeling about using her misfortune
          as a stepping stool for my own motivation. Additionally, much of what is
          heard in the audio is scripted. Or at least the questions were, and I know
          that the 4th graders were well versed about what appropriate answers they
          might give....at least those in the class room, I am not so sure about the
          young lady enduring her stay at home. I was hit with the urgency of "this
          has to happen now, because she might not be here tomorrow" and that in
          itself was a very uncomfortable feeling. In retrospect, I dont think the
          kids suffered as much from these emotions as I did.

          Had I the same project to do over again, I would look for some deeper
          motivation. And perhaps your efforts already contain that. I do not teach
          young folks and I do not know how well they handle concepts such as illness
          and disability, but I am concerned that interacting with the 4th graders
          might be a bit over the edge. On the other hand, Lee Baber's class seems
          more interested in how to create content using media such as Skype and
          Webcasting. I suspect that they would be far more interested in your
          project, and perhaps more emotionally prepared to deal with your group of
          young folks (I really hate to use the word 'disabled' or 'handi-capped'.)
          Additionally, I think they are more prepared, technologically, to do what
          you are asking. In my mind, I would far rather you approach them.

          Finally, I referenced the situation that occured at Virginia Tech last
          week. New reporters were interviewing everyone that moved.... They asked
          questions to get at information that they perceived as 'news', but now I
          wonder how much of the 'news' is just meant for titillation to get folks
          interested in reading someone's article. Last night, over the radio, I
          heard a number of the students ask that news reporter not return to the
          campus to ask questions. I doubt that many news organizations will heed
          this requests, but it sort of confirms some of my thoughts about the ethics
          of the questioning of victims of all sorts of circumstances. I personally,
          would rather know that the students at Virginia Tech and those of other
          circumstances, perhaps the young lady in Nevada, just be allowed to get on
          with their lives. I wish I had done a better job of ensuring her approval
          before I included her in our interview.

          Just my two cents.

          Regarding your project: I think it is a terrific idea and one that
          definitely has potential and warrants a lot of thought and preparation. If
          I can assist in anyway, please let me know.

          elderbob