Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Virtual portfolios - What to use?

  • Alfred Hopkins
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 2 5:41 PM
      The Hopkins News Bulletin:
      º The Hopkins Creative Language Lab's applied drama and storytelling workshop will be launched Saturday, April 21st at 2p.m., Bolivar 852, with the presentation of an ELT reader, "Tea for Two, a tale for you," written especially for Argentine students of English by Alfred Hopkins and Alicia Ramasco. The $25 pesos ticket includes a copy of the book. There will be games, improvisations and much more. º There will be a good old fashioned "tea party" at the Owl English Institute in Barracas, with presentation of the recently published reader on April 19th. For details please contact us.
      º "¡Por díos!" un espectáculo escrito y dirigido por Alfred Hopkins, se presenta el sábado 8 de abril a las 20:30 horas en Medrano 645. Entrada $15 pesos. Informes e reservas: 15 62521028 y 48655596.
      º "Malvinas: islas de memoria," un espectáculo de Julio Cardoso, se presenta a las 18 horas los jueves, viernes, sábado y domingo en la sala Villa Villa del Centro Cultural Recoleta, con un elenco de ocho actores, incluyendo Alfred Hopkins como "el inglés." Entrada gratis.
      º Please take note of our new online blog magazine: http://jaquematepress.blogia.com and a new mail service: hopalfred@...

      sharonbetts <sharonbetts@...> escribió: What to use?

      *Blogs* - Blogs are ongoing individual postings with the ability to take
      comments from readers. This is a great way to journal, reflect or get
      input.

      *WIKIs* - are online editable pages available to anyone given
      permission. Usually you can attach files to wiki pages and there is a
      comment page connected. This is good for collaboration. It does not
      fit the journal model as well as it does a portfolio / archive model.
      Of course, it is also great for multiple editors of a single document.

      *Forums* - threaded discussions. Can be used for the same as above.
      They individualize each posting, but in a threaded manner unlike blogs
      which are sequential

      *Social networks* - combine all or some of the above with many added
      features. If you are ready to launch your students into the cybersphere
      of learning, this is the way to go. I like Ning - but it still does not
      have a wiki module although the blog and forums are great.

      *Course Management Systems* - also combines the above features and adds
      the ability to quiz etc. It is an online class. My favorite is Moodle
      (at the moment). Students are part of a class and can use the forums,
      wikis, as well as complete assignments. I do not like the blogging
      feature presently being used.

      There are hybrids of all the above - and more appear each day. The key
      is to know what your goals are for each project.
      Is it your students first adventure into online learning? do you simply
      want journals? do you wish to attach artifacts? do you want to actually
      hold your class online with assessment and all? do you want to use these
      in a more social atmosphere?
      Do you have the ability to pay for a service or to host it "in house"?

      It sounds like you, Evelyn, are looking for a very basic "journal", but
      I may be mistaken. Can you clarify your goal(s) a bit more?
      Sharon

      Evelyn Izquierdo wrote:

      > Dear Sharon:
      >
      > Thank you very much for your reply and for the information indeed. I'd
      > like to find a very easy tool to use. I'm not sure now, but it comes
      > to my mind a blog I saw here in Webheads in action which I liked very
      > much. I think is was Susan Marandi's. Her students posted very
      > interesting information there, similar to what I'm trying to do.
      > Actually, it was not a portfolio, it was a collection of her students'
      > blogs and more focused on writing. I don't know if I can take that as
      > an example of virtual portfolio. I might ask my students to create
      > their own blogs, so that they can write comments to each other; but
      > I'm not sure if that is the most appropriate tool and strategy. I
      > mainly want them to do Web search first, find texts that follow the
      > text typology requested and finally write short summaries about the texts.
      > You mentioned Moodle. I just finished my first course in Moodle. Do
      > you think the portfolio can be done in the forum area? Or is there any
      > other option I don't know? I've never used blogs in Moodle.
      > Regarding hosting our works on free online platforms or services, you
      > are right. It is a risk. I would like to learn more about serious and
      > resposible hosting sites which can garantee our works will be kept
      > there. Since we have our own server for Moodle, it seems to be a more
      > secure option. Have you work with portfolios in Moodle? Would you
      > please let me know how?
      >
      > I appreciate very much your kind help.
      >
      > Warm regards,
      > Evelyn
      >
      > Evelyn Izquierdo
      > Profesora de Inglés
      > Escuela de Educación
      > Facultad de Humanidades y Educación
      > Universidad Central de Venezuela
      > Tel: 605.2974 / 2975
      > E-mail: izquierdo_evelyn@... <mailto:izquierdo_evelyn%40yahoo.com>

      Alfredo Hopkins
      The Buenos Aires Voz Journal
      http://www.aglat.com/voz (The Voz News magazine)
      http://www.a-hopkins.com (workshops and shows)
      http://www.video-scratching.com (películas mudas)
      4334-1561 Cel: 15 6252 1028

    • Alfred Hopkins
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 2 9:00 PM
        Check out this new blog: http://jaquematepress.blogia.com

        Also

        Evelyn Izquierdo wrote:

        > Dear Sharon:
        >
        > Thank you very much for your reply and for the information indeed. I'd
        > like to find a very easy tool to use. I'm not sure now, but it comes
        > to my mind a blog I saw here in Webheads in action which I liked very
        > much. I think is was Susan Marandi's. Her students posted very
        > interesting information there, similar to what I'm trying to do.
        > Actually, it was not a portfolio, it was a collection of her students'
        > blogs and more focused on writing. I don't know if I can take that as
        > an example of virtual portfolio. I might ask my students to create
        > their own blogs, so that they can write comments to each other; but
        > I'm not sure if that is the most appropriate tool and strategy. I
        > mainly want them to do Web search first, find texts that follow the
        > text typology requested and finally write short summaries about the texts.
        > You mentioned Moodle. I just finished my first course in Moodle. Do
        > you think the portfolio can be done in the forum area? Or is there any
        > other option I don't know? I've never used blogs in Moodle.
        > Regarding hosting our works on free online platforms or services, you
        > are right. It is a risk. I would like to learn more about serious and
        > resposible hosting sites which can garantee our works will be kept
        > there. Since we have our own server for Moodle, it seems to be a more
        > secure option. Have you work with portfolios in Moodle? Would you
        > please let me know how?
        >
        > I appreciate very much your kind help.
        >
        > Warm regards,
        > Evelyn
        >
        > Evelyn Izquierdo
        > Profesora de Inglés
        > Escuela de Educación
        > Facultad de Humanidades y Educación
        > Universidad Central de Venezuela
        > Tel: 605.2974 / 2975
        > E-mail: izquierdo_evelyn@... <mailto:izquierdo_evelyn%40yahoo.com>

        Alfredo Hopkins
        The Buenos Aires Voz Journal
        http://www.aglat.com/voz (The Voz News magazine)
        http://www.a-hopkins.com (workshops and shows)
        http://www.video-scratching.com (películas mudas)
        4334-1561 Cel: 15 6252 1028

        Alfredo Hopkins
        The Buenos Aires Voz Journal
        http://www.aglat.com/voz (The Voz News magazine)
        http://www.a-hopkins.com (workshops and shows)
        http://www.video-scratching.com (películas mudas)
        4334-1561 Cel: 15 6252 1028

      • sharonbetts
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 10 5:52 PM
          New Tool -
          http://webheadtools.motime.com/

          Check out Voice Threads. It was posted as a new tool in a Ning
          community I am part of. I am again hooked.
          Sharon
        • Gavin Dudeney
          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 11 2:36 AM
            Hi Folks,

            41st IATEFL Annual Conference and Exhibition
            Aberdeen 18th - 22nd April, 2007
            IATEFL / British Council Aberdeen Online

            For this year�s IATEFL Annual Conference and Exhibition in Aberdeen, IATEFL
            and the British Council are working together to enable teacher audiences
            worldwide to participate via the internet and get a taste of what happens
            over the five days of the annual IATEFL conference.

            Our interactive web coverage will include:

            - video and audio recordings of some of the presentations and workshops
            - interviews with presenters and delegates
            - text reports from the event via a dedicated website
            - online special interest forums running alongside the main conference
            programme
            - daily blogs from roving reporters supported by IATEFL and the British
            Council ELTeCS Scheme

            Registration and participation is now open. Visit:
            HYPERLINK
            "blocked::http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/iatefl2007"http://www.teachingen
            glish.org.uk/iatefl2007

            When you get to the Moodle site, click on the 'Create new account' button.
            Follow the instructions, fill in the form, then click on the 'Create my new
            account' button. Next, check your email for the confirmation message - and
            click on the link in the email to complete your registration. You will be
            taken to a page that asks you if wish to enrol on the event - click the
            'Yes' button and you will be inside the event. Please note that the
            confirmation mail may be filtered by your email program - check your spam or
            junk email folder if you don't receive it within one hour of registering.

            The Aberdeen Online event will also be represented in Second Life with a
            daily video and audio summary, a photo gallery, updates and discussions. For
            more information, contact Dudeney Ge in-world or go to EduNation 179,40,22.

            We look forward to meeting you online.

            Gavin

            c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
            Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770
            HYPERLINK "http://www.theconsultants-e.com/"http://www.theconsultants-e.com

            Winners, 2007 British Council ELTON awards - HYPERLINK
            "http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54"http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54
            Owners of the Second Life sim EduNation - HYPERLINK
            "http://tinyurl.com/yehbto"http://tinyurl.com/yehbto
            Sponsors of the 2006 UK Moodle Conference - HYPERLINK
            "http://www.moodlemoot.org/"http://www.moodlemoot.org

            CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE

            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 11 2:48 AM
              Sharon,

              This is a great resource. I'm heading for Ankara shortly to give a talk
              there on CALL which I am starting to call Computer Assisted Language and
              Literacy (the learning is understood, I hope, by now). Your page gives a
              number of good examples of Web 2.0 tools that could be applied to language
              learning and I'll show it during my talk if I'll have Internet.

              I'm trying to find out now if Internet will be there. If it is I might try
              to webcast via our Elluminate tool and invite Webheads to sit in and speak
              up at some point. The talk is at 8:15 GMT on April 14, and I'll let you
              know later if you should mark your calendars.

              Links to my presentation along with further information will appear here:
              a.. http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/index.html#next
              b.. http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/index.html#next
              c.. http://www.prof2000.pt/users/vstevens/papers/index.html#next
              Last Sunday, I didn't forget about the Webheads noon GMT weekly meeting. I
              was unable to detect any Internet facilities on Redang Island.

              Next Sunday I plan to be back at work and in normal routine, and if you're
              around Sunday noon GMT or any time in the next few hours, we can talk about
              the upcoming WiAOC http://wiaoc.org or social networking and tagging. I'm
              trying to work out how aggregation works on tagging (so we can use it to
              good effect for wiaoc) and I'll be asking some questions about it to those
              of you I haven't asked already.

              Take care,

              > Check out Voice Threads. It was posted as a new tool in a Ning
              > community I am part of. I am again hooked.
              > Sharon
              >

              > For more information:

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Alfred Hopkins
              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 11 6:06 AM
                Check out this new English-Spanish blog:

                http://jaquematepress.blogia.com

                Thanks!

                http://jaquematepress.blogia.com and http://www.aglat.com/voz
                http://www.a-hopkins.com (workshops and shows)
                http://www.video-scratching.com (películas mudas)
                4334-1561 Cel: 15 6252 1028

              • MMV® Centro Multidisciplinario
                Message 7 of 30 , Apr 11 8:33 AM
                  Dear Gavin:
                  I am really interested on participating but my browser could not get to the page.
                  Could you tell me if I have the right address?
                  http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/iatefl2007
                  I tryed to enter to http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk with the same result.
                  Thanks in advance.
                  Maru

                  Message 8 of 30 , Apr 11 2:10 PM
                    Maru,

                    I just checked the page again and it's working fine - 189 people registered
                    through there already. You could always try going directly to:

                    HYPERLINK
                    "http://community.britishcouncil.org/iatefl/"http://community.britishcouncil
                    .org/iatefl/

                    Let me know,

                    _____

                    I am really interested on participating but my browser could not get to the
                    page.
                    Could you tell me if I have the right address?
                    HYPERLINK
                    "http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/iatefl2007"http://www.teaching-english.or
                    g.-uk/iatefl2007
                    I tryed to enter to HYPERLINK
                    "http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk"http://www.teaching-english.org.-uk with
                    the same result.
                    Thanks in advance.
                    Maru

                    Gavin Dudeney <HYPERLINK
                    "mailto:gavin.dudeney%40theconsultants-e.com"gavin.dudeney@-theconsultants--
                    e.com> wrote:
[...]

                    "blocked::HYPERLINK
                    "http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/iatefl2007"http://www.teaching-english.or
                    g.-uk/iatefl2007"HYPERLINK "http://www.teachingen"http://www.teaching-en
[...]

                    Gavin Dudeney - Project Director, The Consultants--E
                    c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
                    Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770
                    HYPERLINK "HYPERLINK
                    "http://www.theconsultants-e.com/"http://www.theconsu-ltants-e.-com/"HYPERLI

                    "HYPERLINK "http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54"http://tinyurl.-com/3e2c54"HYPERLINK
                    "HYPERLINK "http://tinyurl.com/yehbto"http://tinyurl.-com/yehbto"HYPERLINK
                    "HYPERLINK "http://www.moodlemoot.org/"http://www.moodlemo-ot.org/"HYPERLINK

                    "http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm"htt
                    p://www.geocitie-s.com/vance_-stevens/papers/-evonline2002/-webheads.-htm

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    22:44

                  • MMV� Centro Multidisciplinario
                    Message 9 of 30 , Apr 12 4:59 AM
                      Dear Gavin:

                      Thanks for your prompt answer and directions. My registration is now complete.
                      I am having problems with the PC, that may have been the reason.
                      Please let me know at what time do I need to login to attend or to which site do I have to go to see the event's timetable.
                      Love: Maru

                      dudeney@...> wrote:
                      Maru,

                      I just checked the page again and it's working fine - 189 people registered
                      through there already. You could always try going directly to:

                      HYPERLINK
                      "http://community.britishcouncil.org/iatefl/"http://community.britishcouncil
                      .org/iatefl/

                      Let me know,

                      Gavin

                    • cristina costa
                      Message 10 of 30 , Apr 12 5:20 AM
                        Dear Gavin,

                        I am also trying to acess it, but I somwhow am not able to join in Moodle ...

                        Help..!
                        thanks
                        Cris

                        Cris

                      • cristina costa
                        Message 11 of 30 , Apr 12 5:31 AM
                          Dear gavin,

                          Please ignore my email.
                          I am already in Moodle.
                          thanks
                          Cris

                          cristina costa <cristinacosta_pt@...> escreveu: Dear Gavin,

                          Message 12 of 30 , Apr 12 6:02 AM
                            Maru,

                            Log in here:

                            HYPERLINK
                            "http://community.britishcouncil.org/iatefl/"http://community.britishcouncil
                            .org/iatefl/

                            There are no set times to attend - you'll find some instructions in the
                            pre-conference tasks, and some useful documentation at the top on the left.

                            I hope that helps,

                            "mailto:dudeney%40theconsultants-e.com"dudeney@...> wrote:
                            Maru,

                            I just checked the page again and it's working fine - 189 people registered
                            through there already. You could always try going directly to:

                            HYPERLINK
                            "HYPERLINK
                            "http://community.britishcouncil.org/iatefl/"http://community.-britishcounci
                            l.-org/iatefl/"HYPERLINK
                            "http://community.britishcouncil"http://community.-britishcouncil
                            .org/iatefl/

                            Let me know,

                            Gavin

                            17:14

                          • Gavin Dudeney
                            Message 13 of 30 , Apr 12 6:31 AM
                              Cris,

                              Go to HYPERLINK
                              "http://community.britishcouncil.org/iatefl/login/index.php"http://community
                              .britishcouncil.org/iatefl/login/index.php and follow the instructions on
                              the right for creating a new account. Be sure to check your spam/junk email
                              folders once you've done it. It is working - I promise - we have nearly 300
                              registered since yesterday... :-)

                              Message 14 of 30 , Apr 15 7:55 PM
                                Flash!
                                A smashing and dashing tea party will be held at Perroandaluz, 852 Bolivar street, in San Telmo, Buenos Aires, on Saturday 21st, with the presentation of the ELT reader "Tea for Two, a tale for you," by Alfred Hopkins and Alicia Ramasco. There will be games, improvisations and...participants will take home a copy of the book!
                                Just $25 pesos. Contacts: 15 62 52 10 28 or alfshopkins@...
                                There is more information at http://jaquematepress.blogia.com