An incredible Web 2.0 Experience

  • Elderbob
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2007
      Last week, I had a wonderful experience that I think represents one of the
      really useful ways that Skype is being used in the classroom. Perhaps it
      goes a long way in saying something about Web 2.0 and how it enhances our
      community.

      Brian Crosby and his Nevada class of 4th graders include a student whose
      medical condition precludes her from attending regular classroom
      activities. So with a little leg-work and hand-shaking, Brian got some
      community members to provide a home link-up for the child who can't attend.
      The story of how it was done and what the class is doing got my attention
      and I wanted to learn more. I contacted him, and having talked it over with
      his class, they agreed to be interviewed by Lee Babers 8th class in Virginia
      who man the webcasts at YouthBridges (the student version of WorldBridges).

      WIth a bit of thought and collaboration, we finally succeeded in connecting
      all the dots, and met last Thursday via Skype. There were a number of
      connection and production problems but under it all was a humane interest in
      how one class continued to include a student that otherwise would have been
      disconnected. This was truly a "No Child Left Behind Story".

      In the end, I was able to edit out most of the technical glitches which
      eventually resulted in a 21 minute interview of one class by the other. The
      story is greater than that, and I have tried to piece together most of it in
      a blog post. You can see any one of three versions of the story among the
      blogs below:

      Eldertown - http://eldertown.wordpress.com/2007/03/29/the-spark-that-drives-web-20-technology-in-the-classroom/#more-109

      Knowplace Blog � http://knowplace.ca/blog

      (These first two blogs are both my contributions and are essentially the
      same.)

      Learning is Messy Blog - http://learningismessy.com/blog/?p=233

      (This is Brian Crosby's Sparks, Nevada Blog)

      YouthBridges - http://youthbridges.net/?q=node/35

      (and this is Lee Baber's Virginia YouthBridges edition)

      These kids would love it if you would post your thoughts to the various
      blogs (and I would too).
      Be sure to watch the videos, one was produced by the 4th grade class and the
      other is news coverage of the same story.

      Thanks to all those who participated in the actual experience, and thank you
      for reading.

      elderbob

      -- Helping folks understand that it's never too late to become all they ever
      wanted to become.

    • Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2007
        Great job again, Elderbob--
        I wrote a note or two.
        Sorry we couldn't see you in Seattle!
        Cheers--
        --Elizabeth

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Elderbob <elderbob@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        >

        > Knowplace Blog – http://knowplace.ca/blog
        >
        > (These first two blogs are both my contributions and are essentially the
        > same.)
        >
        > Learning is Messy Blog - http://learningismessy.com/blog/?p=233
        >
        > (This is Brian Crosby's Sparks, Nevada Blog)
        >
        > YouthBridges - http://youthbridges.net/?q=node/35
        >
        > (and this is Lee Baber's Virginia YouthBridges edition)
        >
        > These kids would love it if you would post your thoughts to the various
        > blogs (and I would too).
        > Be sure to watch the videos, one was produced by the 4th grade class
        and the
        > other is news coverage of the same story.
        >
        > Thanks to all those who participated in the actual experience, and
        thank you
        > for reading.
        >
        > elderbob
        >
        > -- Helping folks understand that it's never too late to become all

      • Fernanda Rodrigues
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 22, 2007
          Hi Elderbob
          It has been my intention to reply to this email of yours, but I have
          been so busy that only now have the time to do it in a calm way.

          You see, your report interests me mostly. This year I am working with
          students/children who suffer from motor disabilities (mostly cerebral palsy) ,
          and chronic disease. Some of them are in hospital for long periods and
          attend hospital schools, others have to stay at home for long periods
          due to their condition. We have created a network of hospital schools
          and the children connect regularly to a state school in the area, using
          a ISDN line and a videoconferencing system called PictureTel. We call it
          TeleAula.
          As we have few resources and PictureTel is no longer produced and only
          works with windows 98 and similar systems are very expensive, we have
          started to experiment with connections using the Internet and Skype or
          other similar tools for those children who are at home.
          We have had problems with the sound quality. Sometimes the connection starts
          in good condition, but after a while there comes a noise which makes
          communication impossible. We have not figured out what causes the
          problem, perhaps the line conditions at schools - they have ADSL connections
          - or not enough broadband.
          Anyway, I thought it might be a good idea to try to get in touch with
          the Nevada class and the student who is at home, and perhaps organize a
          TeleAula with them. What do you think?

          Fernanda
          a Webhead in Portugal

          On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 13:46:12 -0500
          Elderbob <elderbob@...> wrote:

          > Last week, I had a wonderful experience that I think represents one of the
          > really useful ways that Skype is being used in the classroom. Perhaps it
          > goes a long way in saying something about Web 2.0 and how it enhances our
          > community.
          >
          > Brian Crosby and his Nevada class of 4th graders include a student whose
          > medical condition precludes her from attending regular classroom
          > activities. So with a little leg-work and hand-shaking, Brian got some
          > community members to provide a home link-up for the child who can't attend.
          > The story of how it was done and what the class is doing got my attention
          > and I wanted to learn more. I contacted him, and having talked it over with
          > his class, they agreed to be interviewed by Lee Babers 8th class in Virginia
          > who man the webcasts at YouthBridges (the student version of WorldBridges).
          >
          > WIth a bit of thought and collaboration, we finally succeeded in connecting
          > all the dots, and met last Thursday via Skype. There were a number of
          > connection and production problems but under it all was a humane interest in
          > how one class continued to include a student that otherwise would have been
          > disconnected. This was truly a "No Child Left Behind Story".
          >
          > In the end, I was able to edit out most of the technical glitches which
          > eventually resulted in a 21 minute interview of one class by the other. The
          > story is greater than that, and I have tried to piece together most of it in
          > a blog post. You can see any one of three versions of the story among the
          > blogs below:
          >
          > Eldertown - http://eldertown.wordpress.com/2007/03/29/the-spark-that-drives-web-20-technology-in-the-classroom/#more-109
          >

          > Knowplace Blog – http://knowplace.ca/blog
          >
          > (These first two blogs are both my contributions and are essentially the
          > same.)
          >
          > Learning is Messy Blog - http://learningismessy.com/blog/?p=233
          >
          > (This is Brian Crosby's Sparks, Nevada Blog)
          >
          > YouthBridges - http://youthbridges.net/?q=node/35
          >
          > (and this is Lee Baber's Virginia YouthBridges edition)
          >
          > These kids would love it if you would post your thoughts to the various
          > blogs (and I would too).
          > Be sure to watch the videos, one was produced by the 4th grade class and the
          > other is news coverage of the same story.
          >
          > Thanks to all those who participated in the actual experience, and thank you
          > for reading.
          >
          > elderbob
          >
          > -- Helping folks understand that it's never too late to become all they ever
          > wanted to become.
        • Elderbob
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 23, 2007
            I know that your querry, seems quite simple on the surface, but it brings to
            mind something that I have put a good bit of thought into...the ethics of
            approaching someone to be interviewed. With the horrible events of
            Virginia, last week, it has been foremost in my mind.

            Let me explain.

            After I set up the original dialogue with the 4th graders from Nevada and
            the 8th graders in Virginia, I begun to have some regret. Originally, I
            think I had hoped the story would generate some "sympathy" for the situation
            of the young girl in Nevada....but it also was intended to get people to
            respond to me. It gave me a very uneasy feeling about using her misfortune
            as a stepping stool for my own motivation. Additionally, much of what is
            heard in the audio is scripted. Or at least the questions were, and I know
            that the 4th graders were well versed about what appropriate answers they
            might give....at least those in the class room, I am not so sure about the
            young lady enduring her stay at home. I was hit with the urgency of "this
            has to happen now, because she might not be here tomorrow" and that in
            itself was a very uncomfortable feeling. In retrospect, I dont think the
            kids suffered as much from these emotions as I did.

            Had I the same project to do over again, I would look for some deeper
            motivation. And perhaps your efforts already contain that. I do not teach
            young folks and I do not know how well they handle concepts such as illness
            and disability, but I am concerned that interacting with the 4th graders
            might be a bit over the edge. On the other hand, Lee Baber's class seems
            more interested in how to create content using media such as Skype and
            Webcasting. I suspect that they would be far more interested in your
            project, and perhaps more emotionally prepared to deal with your group of
            young folks (I really hate to use the word 'disabled' or 'handi-capped'.)
            Additionally, I think they are more prepared, technologically, to do what
            you are asking. In my mind, I would far rather you approach them.

            Finally, I referenced the situation that occured at Virginia Tech last
            week. New reporters were interviewing everyone that moved.... They asked
            questions to get at information that they perceived as 'news', but now I
            wonder how much of the 'news' is just meant for titillation to get folks
            interested in reading someone's article. Last night, over the radio, I
            heard a number of the students ask that news reporter not return to the
            campus to ask questions. I doubt that many news organizations will heed
            this requests, but it sort of confirms some of my thoughts about the ethics
            of the questioning of victims of all sorts of circumstances. I personally,
            would rather know that the students at Virginia Tech and those of other
            circumstances, perhaps the young lady in Nevada, just be allowed to get on
            with their lives. I wish I had done a better job of ensuring her approval
            before I included her in our interview.

            Just my two cents.

            Regarding your project: I think it is a terrific idea and one that
            definitely has potential and warrants a lot of thought and preparation. If
            I can assist in anyway, please let me know.

            elderbob