Virtual portfolios - Please, help me!

  • Evelyn Izquierdo
    Message 1 of 30 , Mar 29, 2007
      Hi dear all!

      I want to plan a very exciting activity for my undergraduate students this semester, but I'm not sure about what tool is the most appropriate. My students have some knowledge in tech tools but they are not experts. It is a heterogeneous group who major in sociology, biology, physics, mathematics, social communication, etc., and take the pedagogical component at the School of Education. I'd like to create virtual portfolios for them, especially for the text typology unit. This is an ESP course focused on reading comprehension only. Do you think wikis or blogs are useful for that purpose or is there any other tool I might use? Is there anybody here with any experience in virtual portfolios? I've heard about free portfolios online but I've never used them.

      If you have any expertise in virtual portfolios, please let me know. All ideas are welcome!

      Thanks a bunch!

      Evelyn
      Caracas-Venezuela

      Evelyn Izquierdo
      Profesora de Inglés
      Escuela de Educación
      Facultad de Humanidades y Educación
      Universidad Central de Venezuela
      Tel: 605.2974 / 2975
      E-mail: izquierdo_evelyn@...

    • Barbara Dieu
      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 29, 2007
        Hello there,
        You may want to refer to this site

        http://electronicportfolios.org/web20portfolios.html

        Warm regards from Brazil,
        Bee

        --
        Barbara Dieu
        http://dekita.org
        Message 3 of 30 , Mar 29, 2007
          Hi Evelyn,
          I have a teacher that is using a WIKI for portfolios for much younger
          students (12 - 14 year olds). Another using blogs (make certain you can
          attach a file to each posting) - They reflect through the blog and
          attach the artifact. Then others can comment.
          I have seen great success using Moodle although I am not happy with the
          blogging there.
          I believe that setting up a social network (Ning.com, Eduspaces.net)
          would be ideal. We use MyEport (Maricopa Community College District
          developed this). They host it for my school. Since I have this fear of
          using an online service (WIKI, social network, blog) which does not have
          the portfolio on site. If the service goes away, so do your portfolios.
          Let me know if I can help you in any way. It is always hardest to
          select your tool.
          Sharon

          Evelyn Izquierdo wrote:

          > Hi dear all!
          >
          > I want to plan a very exciting activity for my undergraduate students
          > this semester, but I'm not sure about what tool is the most
          > appropriate. My students have some knowledge in tech tools but they
          > are not experts. It is a heterogeneous group who major in sociology,
          > biology, physics, mathematics, social communication, etc., and take
          > the pedagogical component at the School of Education. I'd like to
          > create virtual portfolios for them, especially for the text typology
          > unit. This is an ESP course focused on reading comprehension only. Do
          > you think wikis or blogs are useful for that purpose or is there any
          > other tool I might use? Is there anybody here with any experience in
          > virtual portfolios? I've heard about free portfolios online but I've
          > never used them.
          >
          > If you have any expertise in virtual portfolios, please let me know.
          > All ideas are welcome!
          >
          > Thanks a bunch!
          >
          > Evelyn
          > Caracas-Venezuela
          >
          > Evelyn Izquierdo
          > Profesora de Inglés
          > Escuela de Educación
          > Facultad de Humanidades y Educación
          > Universidad Central de Venezuela
          > Tel: 605.2974 / 2975
          > E-mail: izquierdo_evelyn@... <mailto:izquierdo_evelyn%40yahoo.com>

          > Correo Yahoo!
          > Regístrate ya - http://correo.espanol.yahoo.com/
          > <http://correo.espanol.yahoo.com/>
          >
          > [

        • Evelyn Izquierdo
          Message 4 of 30 , Mar 30, 2007
            Dear Bee:
            Thanks so much for your prompt answer. It seems to be a very interesting site. I hope to get many ideas from it.
            Sweet regards,
            Evelyn

            Message 5 of 30 , Mar 30, 2007
              Dear Sharon:

              Thank you very much for your reply and for the information indeed. I'd like to find a very easy tool to use. I'm not sure now, but it comes to my mind a blog I saw here in Webheads in action which I liked very much. I think is was Susan Marandi's. Her students posted very interesting information there, similar to what I'm trying to do. Actually, it was not a portfolio, it was a collection of her students' blogs and more focused on writing. I don't know if I can take that as an example of virtual portfolio. I might ask my students to create their own blogs, so that they can write comments to each other; but I'm not sure if that is the most appropriate tool and strategy. I mainly want them to do Web search first, find texts that follow the text typology requested and finally write short summaries about the texts.
              You mentioned Moodle. I just finished my first course in Moodle. Do you think the portfolio can be done in the forum area? Or is there any other option I don't know? I've never used blogs in Moodle.
              Regarding hosting our works on free online platforms or services, you are right. It is a risk. I would like to learn more about serious and resposible hosting sites which can garantee our works will be kept there. Since we have our own server for Moodle, it seems to be a more secure option. Have you work with portfolios in Moodle? Would you please let me know how?

              I appreciate very much your kind help.

              Warm regards,
              Evelyn

              Evelyn Izquierdo
              Profesora de Inglés
              Escuela de Educación
              Facultad de Humanidades y Educación
              Universidad Central de Venezuela
              Tel: 605.2974 / 2975
              E-mail: izquierdo_evelyn@...

            • Dafne
              Message 6 of 30 , Mar 30, 2007
                Dear Evelyn,

                I have used the wiki module in Moodle for e-portfolios
                and it was fine, but then I moved to outside wikis
                (Wikispaces and pbwiki) and they are much more
                flexible, and my students love their products. Also,
                they feel their wiki as their private space which does
                not happen when working in Moodle, not to mention that
                they have much more storage space in non-Moodle wikis.

                I can show you my students e-portfolios anytime.

                hugs,

                Daf

                Be a PS3 game guru.
              • sharonbetts
                Message 7 of 30 , Mar 31, 2007
                  What to use?

                  *Blogs* - Blogs are ongoing individual postings with the ability to take
                  comments from readers. This is a great way to journal, reflect or get
                  input.

                  *WIKIs* - are online editable pages available to anyone given
                  permission. Usually you can attach files to wiki pages and there is a
                  comment page connected. This is good for collaboration. It does not
                  fit the journal model as well as it does a portfolio / archive model.
                  Of course, it is also great for multiple editors of a single document.

                  *Forums* - threaded discussions. Can be used for the same as above.
                  They individualize each posting, but in a threaded manner unlike blogs
                  which are sequential

                  *Social networks* - combine all or some of the above with many added
                  features. If you are ready to launch your students into the cybersphere
                  of learning, this is the way to go. I like Ning - but it still does not
                  have a wiki module although the blog and forums are great.

                  *Course Management Systems* - also combines the above features and adds
                  the ability to quiz etc. It is an online class. My favorite is Moodle
                  (at the moment). Students are part of a class and can use the forums,
                  wikis, as well as complete assignments. I do not like the blogging
                  feature presently being used.

                  There are hybrids of all the above - and more appear each day. The key
                  is to know what your goals are for each project.
                  Is it your students first adventure into online learning? do you simply
                  want journals? do you wish to attach artifacts? do you want to actually
                  hold your class online with assessment and all? do you want to use these
                  in a more social atmosphere?
                  Do you have the ability to pay for a service or to host it "in house"?

                  It sounds like you, Evelyn, are looking for a very basic "journal", but
                  I may be mistaken. Can you clarify your goal(s) a bit more?
                  Sharon

                  Evelyn Izquierdo wrote:

                  > Dear Sharon:
                  >
                  > Thank you very much for your reply and for the information indeed. I'd
                  > like to find a very easy tool to use. I'm not sure now, but it comes
                  > to my mind a blog I saw here in Webheads in action which I liked very
                  > much. I think is was Susan Marandi's. Her students posted very
                  > interesting information there, similar to what I'm trying to do.
                  > Actually, it was not a portfolio, it was a collection of her students'
                  > blogs and more focused on writing. I don't know if I can take that as
                  > an example of virtual portfolio. I might ask my students to create
                  > their own blogs, so that they can write comments to each other; but
                  > I'm not sure if that is the most appropriate tool and strategy. I
                  > mainly want them to do Web search first, find texts that follow the
                  > text typology requested and finally write short summaries about the texts.
                  > You mentioned Moodle. I just finished my first course in Moodle. Do
                  > you think the portfolio can be done in the forum area? Or is there any
                  > other option I don't know? I've never used blogs in Moodle.
                  > Regarding hosting our works on free online platforms or services, you
                  > are right. It is a risk. I would like to learn more about serious and
                  > resposible hosting sites which can garantee our works will be kept
                  > there. Since we have our own server for Moodle, it seems to be a more
                  > secure option. Have you work with portfolios in Moodle? Would you
                  > please let me know how?
                  >
                  > I appreciate very much your kind help.
                  >
                  > Warm regards,
                  > Evelyn
                  >
                  > Evelyn Izquierdo
                  > Profesora de Inglés
                  > Escuela de Educación
                  > Facultad de Humanidades y Educación
                  > Universidad Central de Venezuela
                  > Tel: 605.2974 / 2975
                  > E-mail: izquierdo_evelyn@... <mailto:izquierdo_evelyn%40yahoo.com>

                • Alfred Hopkins
                  Message 8 of 30 , Mar 31, 2007
                    Take a look at this new blog in Spanish and English:
                    http://jaquematepress.blogia.com

                    Evelyn Izquierdo wrote:

                    > Dear Sharon:
                    >
                    > Thank you very much for your reply and for the information indeed. I'd
                    > like to find a very easy tool to use. I'm not sure now, but it comes
                    > to my mind a blog I saw here in Webheads in action which I liked very
                    > much. I think is was Susan Marandi's. Her students posted very
                    > interesting information there, similar to what I'm trying to do.
                    > Actually, it was not a portfolio, it was a collection of her students'
                    > blogs and more focused on writing. I don't know if I can take that as
                    > an example of virtual portfolio. I might ask my students to create
                    > their own blogs, so that they can write comments to each other; but
                    > I'm not sure if that is the most appropriate tool and strategy. I
                    > mainly want them to do Web search first, find texts that follow the
                    > text typology requested and finally write short summaries about the texts.
                    > You mentioned Moodle. I just finished my first course in Moodle. Do
                    > you think the portfolio can be done in the forum area? Or is there any
                    > other option I don't know? I've never used blogs in Moodle.
                    > Regarding hosting our works on free online platforms or services, you
                    > are right. It is a risk. I would like to learn more about serious and
                    > resposible hosting sites which can garantee our works will be kept
                    > there. Since we have our own server for Moodle, it seems to be a more
                    > secure option. Have you work with portfolios in Moodle? Would you
                    > please let me know how?
                    >
                    > I appreciate very much your kind help.
                    >
                    > Warm regards,
                    > Evelyn
                    >
                    > Evelyn Izquierdo
                    > Profesora de Inglés
                    > Escuela de Educación
                    > Facultad de Humanidades y Educación
                    > Universidad Central de Venezuela
                    > Tel: 605.2974 / 2975
                    > E-mail: izquierdo_evelyn@... <mailto:izquierdo_evelyn%40yahoo.com>

                    Alfredo Hopkins
                    The Buenos Aires Voz Journal
                    http://www.aglat.com/voz (The Voz News magazine)
                    http://www.a-hopkins.com (workshops and shows)
                    http://www.video-scratching.com (películas mudas)
                    4334-1561 Cel: 15 6252 1028

                  • Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
                    Message 9 of 30 , Mar 31, 2007
                      Sharon--
                      This is such a useful list--thank you!
                      Could I add one more? Online word processors like Google Docs might be
                      just the thing for an e-portfolio, as it has the features of both MS
                      Word and wikis. You can add photos, links to files stored elsewhere, etc.
                      --Elizabeth
                      PS: Please give me permission to use your list on my resources Web
                      page--I will of course give you full credit. It's a nice set of
                      defintions.

                      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, sharonbetts
                      <sharonbetts@...> wrote:

                      > What to use?
                      >
                      > *Blogs* - Blogs are ongoing individual postings with the ability to
                      take
                      > comments from readers. This is a great way to journal, reflect or get
                      > input.
                      >
                      > *WIKIs* - are online editable pages available to anyone given
                      > permission. Usually you can attach files to wiki pages and there is a
                      > comment page connected. This is good for collaboration. It does not
                      > fit the journal model as well as it does a portfolio / archive model.
                      > Of course, it is also great for multiple editors of a single document.
                      >
                      > *Forums* - threaded discussions. Can be used for the same as above.
                      > They individualize each posting, but in a threaded manner unlike blogs
                      > which are sequential
                      >
                      > *Social networks* - combine all or some of the above with many added
                      > features. If you are ready to launch your students into the
                      cybersphere
                      > of learning, this is the way to go. I like Ning - but it still does
                      not
                      > have a wiki module although the blog and forums are great.
                      >
                      > *Course Management Systems* - also combines the above features and adds
                      > the ability to quiz etc. It is an online class. My favorite is Moodle
                      > (at the moment). Students are part of a class and can use the forums,
                      > wikis, as well as complete assignments. I do not like the blogging
                      > feature presently being used.
                      >
                      > There are hybrids of all the above - and more appear each day. The key
                      > is to know what your goals are for each project.
                      > Is it your students first adventure into online learning? do you
                      simply
                      > want journals? do you wish to attach artifacts? do you want to actually
                      > hold your class online with assessment and all? do you want to use
                      these
                      > in a more social atmosphere?
                      > Do you have the ability to pay for a service or to host it "in house"?
                      >
                      > It sounds like you, Evelyn, are looking for a very basic "journal", but
                      > I may be mistaken. Can you clarify your goal(s) a bit more?
                      > Sharon
                    • Evelyn Izquierdo
                      Message 10 of 30 , Mar 31, 2007
                        Dear Sharon, Bee, Alfred and Elizabeth:

                        Thank you very much for providing me with such a valuable list of sources. I'm going to explore all of them. After that, I'm sure I'll find the most appropriate tool to use with my students.

                        Regarding Sharon's questions, my students have a very basic knowledge in ICT. They just know how to use the email and have basic skills in web searching, but they've never used blogs or wikis.

                        This is an ESP, f2f course, focused on reading comprehension. Within the program there is a unit dedicated to text typology and genres. I always use portfolios for this unit, but this semester, for the first time, I want my students create them online.

                        I basically want them to:
                        1. search and select online texts that match the text types classification provided.
                        2. find the linguistics elements that characterized each type of text.
                        3. identify the main ideas
                        4. make short summaries (in Spanish, because their writing skills in English are pretty low).

                        I want to find a way my students can make a collection of texts, classify and summarize them, have them available online for their classmates, and write comments on the e-portfolios they like the most.

                        And, with respect to the "in house" hosting, unfortunately we don't have the possibility of paying for any hosting, except for Moodle. The university provides us with that service.

                        Elizabeth, I wonder if in Google all students from their own email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, Aol, etc) can access the docs. I've never tried, but I will. Thank you so much for the idea.

                        My warmest regards,

                        Message 11 of 30 , Mar 31, 2007
                          Thanks - I will add GoogleDocs and similar online "office Suites" to
                          mine. And you can of course publish it anywhere you wish.
                          I would appreciate your listing my URL:
                          http://www.sharonbetts.org/site/pmwiki.php
                          Sharon

                          Elizabeth Hanson-Smith wrote:

                          > Sharon--
                          > This is such a useful list--thank you!
                          > Could I add one more? Online word processors like Google Docs might be
                          > just the thing for an e-portfolio, as it has the features of both MS
                          > Word and wikis. You can add photos, links to files stored elsewhere, etc.
                          > --Elizabeth
                          > PS: Please give me permission to use your list on my resources Web
                          > page--I will of course give you full credit. It's a nice set of
                          > defintions.
                          >
                          > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
                          > <mailto:evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>, sharonbetts
                          > <sharonbetts@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > What to use?
                          > >
                          > > *Blogs* - Blogs are ongoing individual postings with the ability to
                          > take
                          > > comments from readers. This is a great way to journal, reflect or get
                          > > input.
                          > >
                          > > *WIKIs* - are online editable pages available to anyone given
                          > > permission. Usually you can attach files to wiki pages and there is a
                          > > comment page connected. This is good for collaboration. It does not
                          > > fit the journal model as well as it does a portfolio / archive model.
                          > > Of course, it is also great for multiple editors of a single document.
                          > >
                          > > *Forums* - threaded discussions. Can be used for the same as above.
                          > > They individualize each posting, but in a threaded manner unlike blogs
                          > > which are sequential
                          > >
                          > > *Social networks* - combine all or some of the above with many added
                          > > features. If you are ready to launch your students into the
                          > cybersphere
                          > > of learning, this is the way to go. I like Ning - but it still does
                          > not
                          > > have a wiki module although the blog and forums are great.
                          > >
                          > > *Course Management Systems* - also combines the above features and adds
                          > > the ability to quiz etc. It is an online class. My favorite is Moodle
                          > > (at the moment). Students are part of a class and can use the forums,
                          > > wikis, as well as complete assignments. I do not like the blogging
                          > > feature presently being used.
                          > >
                          > > There are hybrids of all the above - and more appear each day. The key
                          > > is to know what your goals are for each project.
                          > > Is it your students first adventure into online learning? do you
                          > simply
                          > > want journals? do you wish to attach artifacts? do you want to actually
                          > > hold your class online with assessment and all? do you want to use
                          > these
                          > > in a more social atmosphere?
                          > > Do you have the ability to pay for a service or to host it "in house"?
                          > >
                          > > It sounds like you, Evelyn, are looking for a very basic "journal", but
                          > > I may be mistaken. Can you clarify your goal(s) a bit more?
                          > > Sharon

                        • Carla arena
                          Message 12 of 30 , Mar 31, 2007
                            Evelyn,

                            As you want your students to have an online place as a repository of
                            content, maybe you should really consider wikis. However, I've just
                            collaborated with some peers in an online project using Google Docs and I
                            really liked the way it worked. I created it and invited everyone to
                            collaborate, they accepted and we included all the links with a review on a
                            spreadsheet. We could meet online and even discuss the ones we would submit
                            for our final paper. We included colors to highlight important issues. Very
                            interesting way to work collaboratively. I really don't know how it would go
                            for your students, and I'm not sure about issues related to subscription to
                            Google. I remember I sent an invitation to a colleague who had a yahoo
                            account, but I don't know if he registered afterwards. It is worth a try. If
                            you want to test it with us, please let us know!

                            Beijos,
                            carla

                            On 3/31/07, Evelyn Izquierdo <izquierdo_evelyn@...> wrote:

                            > Dear Sharon, Bee, Alfred and Elizabeth:
                            >
                            > Thank you very much for providing me with such a valuable list of sources.
                            > I'm going to explore all of them. After that, I'm sure I'll find the most
                            > appropriate tool to use with my students.
                            >
                            > Regarding Sharon's questions, my students have a very basic knowledge in
                            > ICT. They just know how to use the email and have basic skills in web
                            > searching, but they've never used blogs or wikis.
                            >
                            > This is an ESP, f2f course, focused on reading comprehension. Within the
                            > program there is a unit dedicated to text typology and genres. I always use
                            > portfolios for this unit, but this semester, for the first time, I want my
                            > students create them online.
                            >
                            > I basically want them to:
                            > 1. search and select online texts that match the text types classification
                            > provided.
                            > 2. find the linguistics elements that characterized each type of text.
                            > 3. identify the main ideas
                            > 4. make short summaries (in Spanish, because their writing skills in
                            > English are pretty low).
                            >
                            > I want to find a way my students can make a collection of texts, classify
                            > and summarize them, have them available online for their classmates, and
                            > write comments on the e-portfolios they like the most.
                            >
                            > And, with respect to the "in house" hosting, unfortunately we don't have
                            > the possibility of paying for any hosting, except for Moodle. The university
                            > provides us with that service.
                            >
                            > Elizabeth, I wonder if in Google all students from their own email
                            > accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, Aol, etc) can access the docs. I've never tried,
                            > but I will. Thank you so much for the idea.
                            >
                            > My warmest regards,
                            > Evelyn
                            >

                            > Evelyn Izquierdo
                            > Profesora de Inglés
                            > Escuela de Educación
                            > Facultad de Humanidades y Educación
                            > Universidad Central de Venezuela
                            > Tel: 605.2974 / 2975
                            > E-mail: izquierdo_evelyn@... <izquierdo_evelyn%40yahoo.com>

                          • Aiden Yeh
                            Message 13 of 30 , Mar 31, 2007
                              Hi Evelyn,

                              You wrote: Elizabeth, I wonder if in Google all students from their own email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, Aol, etc) can access the docs. I've never tried, but I will. Thank you so much for the idea.

                              I've been using Google Docs (in addition to blogs) for my Writing class. Anyone with an email account can be added to read the file (not edit). It's easier if the document is already 'published' (in this case the document is treated like any htm/html file). However, you need to have a Gmail account to be able to edit the documents.

                              I hope this helps.

                              Aiden

                              Evelyn Izquierdo <izquierdo_evelyn@...> wrote: <snip>

                            • Evelyn Izquierdo
                              Message 14 of 30 , Apr 1, 2007
                                Aiden:
                                Thank you very much for the info.
                                Sweet regards,
                                Evelyn

                              • Carla arena
                                Message 15 of 30 , Apr 1, 2007
                                  Dear Evelyn,

                                  You might consider getting in touch with Tom Leverett. Take a look at the
                                  page he set up for the TESOL conference.

                                  http://www.siu.edu/~cesl/teachers/pd/wp.html

                                  I hope it helps.

                                  Beijos,
                                  carla

                                  On 4/1/07, Evelyn Izquierdo <izquierdo_evelyn@...> wrote:

                                  > Aiden:
                                  > Thank you very much for the info.
                                  > Sweet regards,
                                  > Evelyn

                                • Evelyn Izquierdo
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Apr 2, 2007
                                    Thank you so much, Carla.
                                    Evelyn

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Apr 2, 2007
                                      The Hopkins News Bulletin:
                                      º The Hopkins Creative Language Lab's applied drama and storytelling workshop will be launched Saturday, April 21st at 2p.m., Bolivar 852, with the presentation of an ELT reader, "Tea for Two, a tale for you," written especially for Argentine students of English by Alfred Hopkins and Alicia Ramasco. The $25 pesos ticket includes a copy of the book. There will be games, improvisations and much more. º There will be a good old fashioned "tea party" at the Owl English Institute in Barracas, with presentation of the recently published reader on April 19th. For details please contact us.
                                      º "¡Por díos!" un espectáculo escrito y dirigido por Alfred Hopkins, se presenta el sábado 8 de abril a las 20:30 horas en Medrano 645. Entrada $15 pesos. Informes e reservas: 15 62521028 y 48655596.
                                      º "Malvinas: islas de memoria," un espectáculo de Julio Cardoso, se presenta a las 18 horas los jueves, viernes, sábado y domingo en la sala Villa Villa del Centro Cultural Recoleta, con un elenco de ocho actores, incluyendo Alfred Hopkins como "el inglés." Entrada gratis.
                                      º Please take note of our new online blog magazine: http://jaquematepress.blogia.com and a new mail service: hopalfred@...

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Apr 2, 2007
                                        Check out this new blog: http://jaquematepress.blogia.com

                                        Also

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Apr 10, 2007
                                          New Tool -
                                          http://webheadtools.motime.com/

                                          Check out Voice Threads. It was posted as a new tool in a Ning
                                          community I am part of. I am again hooked.
                                          Sharon
                                        • Gavin Dudeney
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Apr 11, 2007
                                            Hi Folks,

                                            41st IATEFL Annual Conference and Exhibition
                                            Aberdeen 18th - 22nd April, 2007
                                            IATEFL / British Council Aberdeen Online

                                            For this year�s IATEFL Annual Conference and Exhibition in Aberdeen, IATEFL
                                            and the British Council are working together to enable teacher audiences
                                            worldwide to participate via the internet and get a taste of what happens
                                            over the five days of the annual IATEFL conference.

                                            Our interactive web coverage will include:

                                            - video and audio recordings of some of the presentations and workshops
                                            - interviews with presenters and delegates
                                            - text reports from the event via a dedicated website
                                            - online special interest forums running alongside the main conference
                                            programme
                                            - daily blogs from roving reporters supported by IATEFL and the British
                                            Council ELTeCS Scheme

                                            Registration and participation is now open. Visit:
                                            HYPERLINK
                                            "blocked::http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/iatefl2007"http://www.teachingen
                                            glish.org.uk/iatefl2007

                                            When you get to the Moodle site, click on the 'Create new account' button.
                                            Follow the instructions, fill in the form, then click on the 'Create my new
                                            account' button. Next, check your email for the confirmation message - and
                                            click on the link in the email to complete your registration. You will be
                                            taken to a page that asks you if wish to enrol on the event - click the
                                            'Yes' button and you will be inside the event. Please note that the
                                            confirmation mail may be filtered by your email program - check your spam or
                                            junk email folder if you don't receive it within one hour of registering.

                                            The Aberdeen Online event will also be represented in Second Life with a
                                            daily video and audio summary, a photo gallery, updates and discussions. For
                                            more information, contact Dudeney Ge in-world or go to EduNation 179,40,22.

                                            We look forward to meeting you online.

                                            Gavin

                                            c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
                                            Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770
                                            HYPERLINK "http://www.theconsultants-e.com/"http://www.theconsultants-e.com

                                            Winners, 2007 British Council ELTON awards - HYPERLINK
                                            "http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54"http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54
                                            Owners of the Second Life sim EduNation - HYPERLINK
                                            "http://tinyurl.com/yehbto"http://tinyurl.com/yehbto
                                            Sponsors of the 2006 UK Moodle Conference - HYPERLINK
                                            "http://www.moodlemoot.org/"http://www.moodlemoot.org

                                            CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Apr 11, 2007
                                              Sharon,

                                              This is a great resource. I'm heading for Ankara shortly to give a talk
                                              there on CALL which I am starting to call Computer Assisted Language and
                                              Literacy (the learning is understood, I hope, by now). Your page gives a
                                              number of good examples of Web 2.0 tools that could be applied to language
                                              learning and I'll show it during my talk if I'll have Internet.

                                              I'm trying to find out now if Internet will be there. If it is I might try
                                              to webcast via our Elluminate tool and invite Webheads to sit in and speak
                                              up at some point. The talk is at 8:15 GMT on April 14, and I'll let you
                                              know later if you should mark your calendars.

                                              Links to my presentation along with further information will appear here:
                                              a.. http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/index.html#next
                                              b.. http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/index.html#next
                                              c.. http://www.prof2000.pt/users/vstevens/papers/index.html#next
                                              Last Sunday, I didn't forget about the Webheads noon GMT weekly meeting. I
                                              was unable to detect any Internet facilities on Redang Island.

                                              Next Sunday I plan to be back at work and in normal routine, and if you're
                                              around Sunday noon GMT or any time in the next few hours, we can talk about
                                              the upcoming WiAOC http://wiaoc.org or social networking and tagging. I'm
                                              trying to work out how aggregation works on tagging (so we can use it to
                                              good effect for wiaoc) and I'll be asking some questions about it to those
                                              of you I haven't asked already.

                                              Take care,

                                              > Check out Voice Threads. It was posted as a new tool in a Ning
                                              > community I am part of. I am again hooked.
                                              > Sharon
                                              >

                                              > For more information:

                                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                            • Alfred Hopkins
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Apr 11, 2007
                                                Check out this new English-Spanish blog:

                                                http://jaquematepress.blogia.com

                                                Thanks!

                                                http://jaquematepress.blogia.com and http://www.aglat.com/voz
                                                http://www.a-hopkins.com (workshops and shows)
                                                http://www.video-scratching.com (películas mudas)
                                                4334-1561 Cel: 15 6252 1028

                                              • MMV® Centro Multidisciplinario
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Apr 11, 2007
                                                  Dear Gavin:
                                                  I am really interested on participating but my browser could not get to the page.
                                                  Could you tell me if I have the right address?
                                                  http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/iatefl2007
                                                  I tryed to enter to http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk with the same result.
                                                  Thanks in advance.
                                                  Maru

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Apr 11, 2007
                                                    Maru,

                                                    I just checked the page again and it's working fine - 189 people registered
                                                    through there already. You could always try going directly to:

                                                    HYPERLINK
                                                    "http://community.britishcouncil.org/iatefl/"http://community.britishcouncil
                                                    .org/iatefl/

                                                    Let me know,

                                                    _____

                                                    I am really interested on participating but my browser could not get to the
                                                    page.
                                                    Could you tell me if I have the right address?
                                                    HYPERLINK
                                                    "http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/iatefl2007"http://www.teaching-english.or
                                                    g.-uk/iatefl2007
                                                    I tryed to enter to HYPERLINK
                                                    "http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk"http://www.teaching-english.org.-uk with
                                                    the same result.
                                                    Thanks in advance.
                                                    Maru

                                                    Gavin Dudeney <HYPERLINK
                                                    "mailto:gavin.dudeney%40theconsultants-e.com"gavin.dudeney@-theconsultants--
                                                    e.com> wrote:
[...]

                                                    "blocked::HYPERLINK
                                                    "http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/iatefl2007"http://www.teaching-english.or
                                                    g.-uk/iatefl2007"HYPERLINK "http://www.teachingen"http://www.teaching-en
[...]

                                                    Gavin Dudeney - Project Director, The Consultants--E
                                                    c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
                                                    Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770
                                                    HYPERLINK "HYPERLINK
                                                    "http://www.theconsultants-e.com/"http://www.theconsu-ltants-e.-com/"HYPERLI

                                                    "HYPERLINK "http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54"http://tinyurl.-com/3e2c54"HYPERLINK
                                                    "HYPERLINK "http://tinyurl.com/yehbto"http://tinyurl.-com/yehbto"HYPERLINK
                                                    "HYPERLINK "http://www.moodlemoot.org/"http://www.moodlemo-ot.org/"HYPERLINK

                                                    "http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm"htt
                                                    p://www.geocitie-s.com/vance_-stevens/papers/-evonline2002/-webheads.-htm

                                                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                                                    22:44

                                                  • MMV� Centro Multidisciplinario
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Apr 12, 2007
                                                      Dear Gavin:

                                                      Thanks for your prompt answer and directions. My registration is now complete.
                                                      I am having problems with the PC, that may have been the reason.
                                                      Please let me know at what time do I need to login to attend or to which site do I have to go to see the event's timetable.
                                                      Love: Maru

                                                      dudeney@...> wrote:
                                                      Maru,

                                                      I just checked the page again and it's working fine - 189 people registered
                                                      through there already. You could always try going directly to:

                                                      HYPERLINK
                                                      "http://community.britishcouncil.org/iatefl/"http://community.britishcouncil
                                                      .org/iatefl/

                                                      Let me know,

                                                      Gavin

                                                    • cristina costa
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Apr 12, 2007
                                                        Dear Gavin,

                                                        I am also trying to acess it, but I somwhow am not able to join in Moodle ...

                                                        Help..!
                                                        thanks
                                                        Cris

                                                        Cris

                                                      • cristina costa
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Apr 12, 2007
                                                          Dear gavin,

                                                          Please ignore my email.
                                                          I am already in Moodle.
                                                          thanks
                                                          Cris

                                                          cristina costa <cristinacosta_pt@...> escreveu: Dear Gavin,

                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Apr 12, 2007
                                                            Maru,

                                                            Log in here:

                                                            HYPERLINK
                                                            "http://community.britishcouncil.org/iatefl/"http://community.britishcouncil
                                                            .org/iatefl/

                                                            There are no set times to attend - you'll find some instructions in the
                                                            pre-conference tasks, and some useful documentation at the top on the left.

                                                            I hope that helps,

                                                            "mailto:dudeney%40theconsultants-e.com"dudeney@...> wrote:
                                                            Maru,

                                                            I just checked the page again and it's working fine - 189 people registered
                                                            through there already. You could always try going directly to:

                                                            HYPERLINK
                                                            "HYPERLINK
                                                            "http://community.britishcouncil.org/iatefl/"http://community.-britishcounci
                                                            l.-org/iatefl/"HYPERLINK
                                                            "http://community.britishcouncil"http://community.-britishcouncil
                                                            .org/iatefl/

                                                            Let me know,

                                                            Gavin

                                                            17:14

                                                          • Gavin Dudeney
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Apr 12, 2007
                                                              Cris,

                                                              Go to HYPERLINK
                                                              "http://community.britishcouncil.org/iatefl/login/index.php"http://community
                                                              .britishcouncil.org/iatefl/login/index.php and follow the instructions on
                                                              the right for creating a new account. Be sure to check your spam/junk email
                                                              folders once you've done it. It is working - I promise - we have nearly 300
                                                              registered since yesterday... :-)

                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Apr 15, 2007
                                                                Flash!
                                                                A smashing and dashing tea party will be held at Perroandaluz, 852 Bolivar street, in San Telmo, Buenos Aires, on Saturday 21st, with the presentation of the ELT reader "Tea for Two, a tale for you," by Alfred Hopkins and Alicia Ramasco. There will be games, improvisations and...participants will take home a copy of the book!
                                                                Just $25 pesos. Contacts: 15 62 52 10 28 or alfshopkins@...
                                                                There is more information at http://jaquematepress.blogia.com