Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Fwd: KSNews: Now Open: 25 Google Learning Tools

  • Elderbob
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2007
      Dennis,
      Actually the forums opened early with access to the website (it's a keyed
      Moodle site). The actual class part starts on Sunday, March 4. This is a
      Knowschools Project (part of the Knowplace neighborhood that includes
      Knowplace, KnowMoodle, KnowSchools and KnowCoach). Below is the official
      blurb for the session:

      25 Google Learning Tools: March 4 - 9, 2007
      Sunday, 4 March<http://knowschools.ca/moodle/calendar/view.php?view=day&cal_d=04&cal_m=03&cal_y=2007>(02:00
      AM)
      **Google now offers over 25 free tools that can be used to enhance
      learning. Combining these tools appropriately can provide an effective
      online or blended learning environment that is simple to setup, familiar to
      students and easy to sustain. This online hands-on workshop will have you
      work through several interactive learning activities designed to introduce
      you to these tools and how to best employ them to meet your learners'
      needs.<http://knowschools.ca/moodle/course/view.php?id=50>

      *About Rod Corbett and Jeff Hamilton
      *

      *Rod Corbett*

      **
      Rod Corbett has been working in the field of adult education for 20 years in
      the roles of learner, instructor, technical support and instructional
      designer. He is now working at Mount Royal College as the Coordinator of
      Educational Technology Integration in their Academic Development Centre. Rod
      is also a sessional faculty member of the University of Calgary where he
      teaches 2 online courses about instructional design and currently serving as
      President of the Alberta Distance Education and Training Association.

      **

      *Jeff Hamilton *
      Jeff Hamilton has worked at the Lethbridge Community College for 20 years
      (boy he's getting old). Jeff worked as the admin for instructional
      technology at the college for a number of years before returning to the
      "class" to practice what he had been preaching. He enjoys climbing hills on
      his Stump Jumper, hitting for length in squash, and hanging out with his
      family.

      The tools being introduced are free tools from Google, but most the course
      is oriented about how to organize and use the tools in classrooms
      situations. I am not involved the class, but I took a peek and it looks
      like a realy nice product and I feel pretty certain that anyone who decides
      to join in, will go away more skilled than before the class.

      I am sure that if you have further questions about the course, you are
      welcome to contact Frances Long (flong@...).

      Also, let me remind you of the annual KnowTips conference starting on March
      28.

      KnowTIPS 2007
      Wednesday, March 28 - Sunday, April 01, 2007

      The knowTIPS conference is a grass-roots conference arising from
      Knowplace's<http://knowplace.ca/moodle/index.php>philosophy that we
      all learn with our fingers � especially in the online
      environment! This led to a desire to provide a place where others could get
      that same experience and build their skills. The conference is open to
      anyone who is interested in the online environment whether you are a coach,
      mentor, educator, facilitator, career practitioner, interested in online
      course design, or just interested in furthering your online skills.

      knowmates [members in good standing in the knowplace community] were
      discussing how much they learned when working on projects together in a safe
      environment. In keeping with the desire to share and grow in a positive
      environment, we asked our friends and colleagues if they were willing to
      share their expertise in this fashion and knowTIPS � Theory into Practice
      was born.

      In truly grassroots fashion, everyone donates their time and energy without
      monetary remuneration. knowmates work on creating the environment and
      promoting the conference. Presenters prepare their material and share their
      expertise. Knowplace provides the venue and technical support needed, Dr.
      Randy Labonte and Odyssey provide access to their Elluminate platform for
      the synchronous presentations.

      Registration is now
      open<https://www.sporg.com/pom/registration?cmd=event_info&event_id=74920>with
      conference fees remaining the same as 2006 ($137 CND).

      In 2006, we added pre-conference workshops to focus on one online skill.
      These have proved very popular and will be expanded upon for knowTIPS 2007.
      Listings for pre-conference workshops will be available soon.

      I hope this helps clear up any misunderstandings,
      elderbob

      And if you missed my session on Web-conferencing this weekend, you may not
      know that the DimDim, Introduction to the Enterprise Version, is now
      scheduled for March 16-18. This is to coincide with the introduction to the
      Enterprise Version of DimDim (this is a much improved and much more scalable
      version of the Open Source application that we glimpsed when DimDim was last
      visited.) Those who attend the meeting will be presented a free 90 day trial
      version of the Enterprise application, with the option of a reduced rate, if
      they like the program. The Open Source version will be available in any
      case, and is completely free. The Enterprise Version is hosted on-line on
      the DimDim servers and provides more services with no drain on your
      band-width.

      On 3/3/07, Dennis Newson <djn@...> wrote:

      > Elizabeth,
      > I only got the mail about the knowplace workshop a day after it began. No
      > matter - because I see it cost $157.
      > Do you happen to know, though, what are the the 25 free Goggle tools
      > referred to? That list would be worth having.
      >
      > Greetings,
      >
      > Dennis

      Helping folks understand that it's never too late to become all they ever
      wanted to become.