Fwd: KSNews: Now Open: 25 Google Learning Tools

  • Dr Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2007
      This looks like a really good knowplace weekend seminar.

      If you aren't already familiar with knowplace, this might be a good introduction.

      Cheers--
      --Elizabeth

      Frances Long <frances@...> wrote: To: ehansonsmi@...
      Subject: KSNews: Now Open: 25 Google Learning Tools
      Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 15:45:21 -0800
      From: Frances Long <frances@...>

      Now Open: 25 Google Learning Tools
      by Frances Long - Saturday, 3 March 2007, 03:19 PM
      We've opened this knowweek discussion a bit earlier than usual. Register here and we'll move you into the discussion area.

      This discussion is offered through Google groups. Google now offers over 25 free tools that can be used to enhance learning. Combining these tools appropriately can provide an effective online or blended learning environment that is simple to setup, familiar to students and easy to sustain. This online hands-on workshop will have you work through several interactive learning activities designed to introduce you to these tools and how to best employ them to meet your learners' needs. If you don't have a gmail account -- You can go directly to http://www.gmail.com and signup for an account directly. Once you have a gmail address, email it to RodCorbett@... or Jeff.Hamilton@... to test it out.

      About Rod Corbett
      Rod Corbett has been working in the field of adult education for 20 years in the roles of learner, instructor, technical support and instructional designer. He is now working at Mount Royal College as the Coordinator of Educational Technology Integration in their Academic Development Centre. Rod is also a sessional faculty member of the University of Calgary where he teaches 2 online courses about instructional design and currently serving as President of the Alberta Distance Education and Training Association.

      About Jeff Hamilton

      Jeff Hamilton has worked at the Lethbridge Community College for 20 years (boy he's getting old). Jeff worked as the admin for instructional technology at the college for a number of years before returning to the "class" to practice what he had been preaching. He enjoys climbing hills on his Stump Jumper, hitting for length in squash, and hanging out with his family.

      Access Steps

      Register for the discussion here. This discussion is free for BCED Online members or is $157.00 for non-members. Wondering if you are a BCEd member? Member List

      We'll move you into the discussion shortly after you have registered.

      If you are asked for an enrolment key, you have arrived early, please come back when we have moved you into the discussion.

      See this post in context

      Unsubscribe from this forum

    • Dennis Newson
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2007
        Elizabeth,
        I only got the mail about the knowplace workshop a day after it began. No
        matter - because I see it cost $157.
        Do you happen to know, though, what are the the 25 free Goggle tools
        referred to? That list would be worth having.

        Greetings,

        Dennis

      • Elderbob
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2007
          Dennis,
          Actually the forums opened early with access to the website (it's a keyed
          Moodle site). The actual class part starts on Sunday, March 4. This is a
          Knowschools Project (part of the Knowplace neighborhood that includes
          Knowplace, KnowMoodle, KnowSchools and KnowCoach). Below is the official
          blurb for the session:

          25 Google Learning Tools: March 4 - 9, 2007
          Sunday, 4 March<http://knowschools.ca/moodle/calendar/view.php?view=day&cal_d=04&cal_m=03&cal_y=2007>(02:00
          AM)
          **Google now offers over 25 free tools that can be used to enhance
          learning. Combining these tools appropriately can provide an effective
          online or blended learning environment that is simple to setup, familiar to
          students and easy to sustain. This online hands-on workshop will have you
          work through several interactive learning activities designed to introduce
          you to these tools and how to best employ them to meet your learners'
          needs.<http://knowschools.ca/moodle/course/view.php?id=50>

          *About Rod Corbett and Jeff Hamilton
          *

          *Rod Corbett*

          **
[...]

          The tools being introduced are free tools from Google, but most the course
          is oriented about how to organize and use the tools in classrooms
          situations. I am not involved the class, but I took a peek and it looks
          like a realy nice product and I feel pretty certain that anyone who decides
          to join in, will go away more skilled than before the class.

          I am sure that if you have further questions about the course, you are
          welcome to contact Frances Long (flong@...).

          Also, let me remind you of the annual KnowTips conference starting on March
          28.

          KnowTIPS 2007
          Wednesday, March 28 - Sunday, April 01, 2007

          The knowTIPS conference is a grass-roots conference arising from
          Knowplace's<http://knowplace.ca/moodle/index.php>philosophy that we
          all learn with our fingers � especially in the online
          environment! This led to a desire to provide a place where others could get
          that same experience and build their skills. The conference is open to
          anyone who is interested in the online environment whether you are a coach,
          mentor, educator, facilitator, career practitioner, interested in online
          course design, or just interested in furthering your online skills.

          knowmates [members in good standing in the knowplace community] were
          discussing how much they learned when working on projects together in a safe
          environment. In keeping with the desire to share and grow in a positive
          environment, we asked our friends and colleagues if they were willing to
          share their expertise in this fashion and knowTIPS � Theory into Practice
          was born.

          In truly grassroots fashion, everyone donates their time and energy without
          monetary remuneration. knowmates work on creating the environment and
          promoting the conference. Presenters prepare their material and share their
          expertise. Knowplace provides the venue and technical support needed, Dr.
          Randy Labonte and Odyssey provide access to their Elluminate platform for
          the synchronous presentations.

          Registration is now
          open<https://www.sporg.com/pom/registration?cmd=event_info&event_id=74920>with
          conference fees remaining the same as 2006 ($137 CND).

          In 2006, we added pre-conference workshops to focus on one online skill.
          These have proved very popular and will be expanded upon for knowTIPS 2007.
          Listings for pre-conference workshops will be available soon.

          I hope this helps clear up any misunderstandings,
          elderbob

          And if you missed my session on Web-conferencing this weekend, you may not
          know that the DimDim, Introduction to the Enterprise Version, is now
          scheduled for March 16-18. This is to coincide with the introduction to the
          Enterprise Version of DimDim (this is a much improved and much more scalable
          version of the Open Source application that we glimpsed when DimDim was last
          visited.) Those who attend the meeting will be presented a free 90 day trial
          version of the Enterprise application, with the option of a reduced rate, if
          they like the program. The Open Source version will be available in any
          case, and is completely free. The Enterprise Version is hosted on-line on
          the DimDim servers and provides more services with no drain on your
          band-width.

          On 3/3/07, Dennis Newson <djn@...> wrote:

          > Elizabeth,
          > I only got the mail about the knowplace workshop a day after it began. No
          > matter - because I see it cost $157.
          > Do you happen to know, though, what are the the 25 free Goggle tools
          > referred to? That list would be worth having.
          >
          > Greetings,
          >
          > Dennis

          Helping folks understand that it's never too late to become all they ever
          wanted to become.