Restaurants in Seattle

  • Jane Petring
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2007
      Hey there Seattle-TESOL-goers:

      As I said in the last post, if you have recommendations of other restaurants please send them along because the ones on the list were generated from an internet search, not on recommendations. We're looking for a place that can handle a large group, is easily accessible from the convention center, is not too expensive, has food you'd like, and a wifi connection would make it ideal, although most of them don't mention this on their websites. The leading contenders for the moment are:

      Tango (Tapas, Spanish)
      124 21st Ave E, Seattle, (206) 583-0382
      bandoleone.net

      Tulio (Italian)
      1100 Fifth Avenue (206) 624-5500
      http://www.tulio.com

      Sazerac (Cajun)
      1101 4th Ave, Seattle , WA (206) 624-7755
      sazeracrestaurant.com

      Andaluca Restaurant and Bar ( Mediterranean )
      407 Olive Way Seattle (206) 382-6999
      http://andaluca.com

      Jane

    • Elderbob
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 28, 2007
        Jane, I know what a task it is to find a restaurant when you are distant to
        the place itself. When I hosted the San Antonio get-together, I took a
        different approach. First, I found out where the wireless places were and
        what the wireless options were, then I focused in on spots close to where
        the TESOL was being held. San Antonio was really quite easy considering
        that it is not near so wireless as Seattle.

        According to what I have read, Seattle is one of the most wireless cities in
        America. In that regard, I am sending lings to a several lists of
        possibilities. Maybe you can find someone more familiar with the area that
        can help you more finely tune your prospects. Another clue is that most
        restaurants with Wifi, will also have a website, so if there is no website,
        you probably ought to cross them off your list.

        I hope this helps....I know how much fun we all had in San Antone.....I wish
        I was going to be in Seattle with you all.

        http://www.wififreespot.com/wa.html
        http://seattle.wifimug.org/
        http://www.maximilienrestaurant.com/wifi/
        http://www.auscillate.com/wireless/seattle/
        http://www.ilovefreewifi.com/seattle/ - a nice map of the area with wifi
        spots
        http://www.yelp.com/search?find_loc=Seattle%2C+WA+98105&radius=10.0&nflt=Phinney+Ridge%5ESeattle%5EWA&cflt=restaurants
        - mapped and by neighborhood.

        That ought to be enough to get you started. Another suggestion, check with
        the local cell phone provider....they may have a list of spots they have
        wired for wifi. Also, some cities have a wifi office in their city
        offices. Finally, check with the hotel where you are staying. You may not
        want to have the get-together in the hotel, but they are often aware of
        spots in the area that have both good food and wifi. You might want to
        check and see what kind of transportation system the city has....you can
        move further away from where you are staying if there is good transport to
        areas further out.

        Good luck....and I have a lot of faith in you.

        elderbob

        On 2/28/07, Jane Petring <want2no7@...> wrote:

        > Hey there Seattle-TESOL-goers:
        >
        > The poll for the restaurant for our webhead dinner get-together (Wed,
        > March 21) will close tomorrow, so please put in your vote (
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evonline2002_webheads/surveys?id=12526949).
        > As I said in the last post, if you have recommendations of other
        > restaurants please send them along because the ones on the list were
        > generated from an internet search, not on recommendations. We're looking for
        > a place that can handle a large group, is easily accessible from the
        > convention center, is not too expensive, has food you'd like, and a wifi
        > connection would make it ideal, although most of them don't mention this on
        > their websites. The leading contenders for the moment are:
        >
        > Tango (Tapas, Spanish)
        > 124 21st Ave E, Seattle, (206) 583-0382
        > bandoleone.net
        >
        > Tulio (Italian)
        > 1100 Fifth Avenue (206) 624-5500
        > http://www.tulio.com
        >
        > Sazerac (Cajun)
        > 1101 4th Ave, Seattle , WA (206) 624-7755
        > sazeracrestaurant.com
        >
        > Andaluca Restaurant and Bar ( Mediterranean )
        > 407 Olive Way Seattle (206) 382-6999
        > http://andaluca.com
        >
        > Jane

        Helping folks understand that it's never too late to become all they ever
        wanted to become.

      • Jane Petring
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 28, 2007
          Elderbob--
          Thanks so much for your suggestions, and I wish you were going to be
          with us too! I checked out your links and now I'm getting dizzy! It
          looks like Seattle (the convergence of Microsoft and Starbucks) has
          a gazillion wireless coffeeshops, but restaurants are not a given. I
          sent off a few email enquiries and I called a couple of restaurants
          and they told me that sometimes they have wireless--it seems to
          depend on who the neighbours are at the time!

          Having a wireless connection would be nifty, but I wonder if it
          really is a priority since it seems a shame to have our eyes locked
          on the keyboard when could be looking at each other! We'll certainly
          take tons of pictures to share afterwards. Any thoughts from the
          rest of you?

          Jane

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Elderbob
          <elderbob@...> wrote:

          > Jane, I know what a task it is to find a restaurant when you are
          distant to
          > the place itself. When I hosted the San Antonio get-together, I
          took a
          > different approach. First, I found out where the wireless places
          were and
          > what the wireless options were, then I focused in on spots close
          to where
          > the TESOL was being held. San Antonio was really quite easy
          considering
          > that it is not near so wireless as Seattle.
          >
          > According to what I have read, Seattle is one of the most wireless
          cities in
          > America. In that regard, I am sending lings to a several lists of
          > possibilities. Maybe you can find someone more familiar with the
          area that
          > can help you more finely tune your prospects. Another clue is
          that most
          > restaurants with Wifi, will also have a website, so if there is no
          website,
          > you probably ought to cross them off your list.
          >
          > I hope this helps....I know how much fun we all had in San
          Antone.....I wish
          > I was going to be in Seattle with you all.
          >
          > http://www.wififreespot.com/wa.html
          > http://seattle.wifimug.org/
          > http://www.maximilienrestaurant.com/wifi/
          > http://www.auscillate.com/wireless/seattle/
          > http://www.ilovefreewifi.com/seattle/ - a nice map of the area
          with wifi
          > spots
          > http://www.yelp.com/search?find_loc=Seattle%
          2C+WA+98105&radius=10.0&nflt=Phinney+Ridge%5ESeattle%
          5EWA&cflt=restaurants
          > - mapped and by neighborhood.

          > elderbob
        • Rita Zeinstejer
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3 2:49 PM

            > Having a wireless connection would be nifty, but I wonder if it
            > really is a priority since it seems a shame to have our eyes locked
            > on the keyboard when could be looking at each other! We'll certainly
            > take tons of pictures to share afterwards. Any thoughts from the
            > rest of you?
            >
            > Jane

            I do agree with you, Jane, it's the time all Webheads look forward to
            celebrating: meeting f2f, sitting together at a real table savouring a
            meal we´ve been toying with for years at TI, enjoying each other's
            physical company with all our senses ..., seeing and hearing and
            sharing a tangible corner... This is, in fact, the main reason for our
            trip to Seattle, beyond the Convention itself, I´m sure.
            It's a pity not all Webheads can attend, but those who make the effort
            need that. Plenty of photos will be witnesses of this.

            Rita