Re: Learning and interesting things

  • Desiderio Ching
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 24, 2007
      I perfectly agree, Dennis and Hala. I began teaching English in Macau (China) as English is
      ordinarily taught as an academic subject students have to study. I taught hard and my
      students also studied hard, but they did not learn English as a language. Despite all our
      hard work, English remained a hard subject for my students until I came across Freire,
      Giroux and CALLA.

      From being a teacher who lectured and was "king" in the class, I experienced a "kenosis"
      and became an expert participant in our learning community, my students' companion in
      the journey. So, was formed a "koinonia" – a community of learners where everyone
      participates and is involved in the teaching-learning process. Instead of studying English
      as an academic subject, we use English as a language to communicate and interact with
      one another, to discuss about our life experiences and things that concern and interest
      them.

      It is surprising that when students are not conscious that they are studying something,
      then they learn more easily. This is what I experienced in my English classes, which
      provided my students with the needed time and space to learn and use English as a
      language.

      Sid Ching in Macau and Beijing, China